Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music VR available for free download, (at MikeOldfield.com)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 04 2007, 13:48

Quote (onion @ July 04 2007, 17:30)
Trinidad...you´re way out of line

Trinidad, wisely or not, was rising to your bait, Mike, as I suspect you thought someone would.

You've told us what you think of the program. We've heard you. We don't need telling again. And Trinidad has let off some steam. So please - no more of this needling? I don't need it; nobody needs it.

So let's just drop it, please. I started this thread so we could discuss the (surely good) news that MusicVR is now freely available, so can we stick to that?
Profile PM 
dreamweaver Offline

Posted: July 04 2007, 15:34

Hi gamers old and new

tried them both and both work fine... as i still have my originals which I paid for... i'm pettily going to play on them!!!!   ;)

--------------
I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
Some letter of that After-Life to spell:
And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
And answer'd "I Myself am Heaven and Hell:"
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 04 2007, 17:46

Well, I for one have a few nice things to say about it after exploring it for a few days.

- It is more interesting than I thought it was
- It is also more oldfieldian than I thought it was
- Some of the music in it is much more interesting than what ended up on Tr3s Lunas the album, and even the familiar pieces make more sense in the context
- I see now that the Oldfield experience is not complete without having played these games.

Thinking back now, there actually was a number of pretty good reasons why I never bought the games, but I have to say I'm glad to have them now.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 04 2007, 18:41

Quote (Holger @ July 04 2007, 22:46)
- It is also more oldfieldian than I thought it was
- Some of the music in it is much more interesting than what ended up on Tr3s Lunas the album, and even the familiar pieces make more sense in the context
- I see now that the Oldfield experience is not complete without having played these games.

I must say Holger, I find these comments heart-warming. Ever since I first installed Tr3sLunas, I found I could immediately accept it as essentially Oldfieldian: the open romanticism of it; the surreal character of its imagery; the grand scope of the total concept; the attention to detail; the quiet restfulness of some of its nooks and crannies; the sheer fun of it; and perhaps most of all, the daliphant as a symbol of our desire for the unreachable (surely an essential emotional element in so much of his music). In hindsight, I felt that these landscapes seemed to have always been embedded in Mike's music from the start.

I think this is why it's such a great move to make the games free, now. Because as you say, "the Oldfield experience is not complete without having played these games"; and now anyone can at least take a look at them and have the chance to decide for themselves, with no risk of wasting their money.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 04 2007, 19:32

Going off topic again, sorry. :)

Alan, please email or otherwise inform me when you or someone else are hosting the next online game of 3L. I missed the July 1 by a whiff, and I would've really loved to be there. So please make yourself heard next time... :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 04:31

The July 1st game was a spur of the moment thing - I didn't know I was going to do it until it happened, so there was no way of giving advance warning.

There's some talk of a game this coming Sunday evening (8th July), but still uncertain yet.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 08:21

Quote (Alan D @ July 05 2007, 10:31)
There's some talk of a game this coming Sunday evening (8th July), but still uncertain yet.

I don't thìnk I will be here on Sunday... however, if this is confirmed, I'd like to get some notice about the timing... ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 08:48

Quote (Alan D @ July 05 2007, 00:41)
In hindsight, I felt that these landscapes seemed to have always been embedded in Mike's music from the start.

Yes, I'd agree with that. Very well put. BTW, yesterday I discovered the weird room with the opening and closing doors in Maestro. Even though I could not find a way out of it, and it should have been quite frustrating, it wasn't really. I just kept flying through it for I guess half an hour, thinking, "wow, this is so awesome"!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 13:31

Colin has now put the new revised free versions of Maestro and Tr3sLunas up at mikeoldfield.com. So if you're one of those who's had graphics problems, you can now download the corrected versions.

If you don't want the bother of downloading, uninstalling, and reinstalling the whole thing, give me a nudge and I'll email the two 1.4MB files you need.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 16:11

Quote (Holger @ July 04 2007, 17:46)
Well, I for one have a few nice things to say about it after exploring it for a few days...

... I have to say I'm glad to have them now.

I must say that thanks to your comment, Holger, I've felt like writing about MVR again..
It's so pleasant to see that someone else apart from our "tiny community" is becoming interested on it... We've spent years enjoying it, feeling it as a sort of virtual home, however, on the other hand, it's been years of "struggling" to defend it with both words and images in front of the critics, (some of them very cruel, imo) and what made it even more painful was the fact that many people would speak about it without knowing it really.. There was a moment when I thought I'd had enough of writing about it. It was enough to just be there with the people who appreciate it and enjoy our little expeditions. 

I'm very happy that u are having fun in exploring it and finding out the little treasures it hides. Also that u've discovered how some of the music is even more interesting once u've been there.

And of course, I'm also very happy to see Colin is working on it again. Thanks Colin!!

After a long time, I'm really feeling like having an expedition to tr3s lunas again... As I said to Alan, I don't know yet whether I can make it there this weekend, but anyway, I'm sure that we'll meet there soon.

So.. cu in tr3s lunas :)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 17:57

I'm afraid I'm one of those who have always been a bit cynical, or at least sceptical, towards it (though I never said nasty things about it - at least in public  :D ); indeed, I'm not sure I'd have appreciated it like I can now if I had gotten Tr3s Lunas at the time it was released (which would have been impossible anyhow - I didn't even have a computer it would run on at the time). That was five years ago, I was a different person with a very different attitude at that time. Tr3s Lunas the album, and the demos of both games further alienated me from the idea of checking out the real thing.

I feel that maybe MVR would have had the potential to become bigger, if it had been more easily accessible, if the demos had been better, if Tr3s Lunas hadn't been a pure "chillout" album (which gives a false impression of the game - it is chilly, but not quite in the same way the album is), and maybe if it had been promoted more outside of the Oldfield fan community. Maybe Mike was just ahead of his time with this - I wouldn't be surprised if in twenty years' time or so, MVR would be considered a pioneering effort for this sort of thing.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 18:21

Quote (Holger @ July 05 2007, 22:57)
if the demos had been better

Yes, the Tr3s Lunas demo in particular was enormously misleading, I felt. It showed almost nothing of what MusicVR was capable, nor the imaginative depth of its implementation. I wonder what the outcome might have been if the snowy owl flight had been included in the demo?

I think at the time Mike maintained that its chief purpose was to allow you to see if the game would run on your computer, but of course many people like yourself who thought they disliked the game never got any further than that demo. It didn't do him any favours, I agree.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 05 2007, 18:27

Quote (maria @ July 05 2007, 21:11)
It was enough to just be there with the people who appreciate it and enjoy our little expeditions. 

Not so little, some of them. Remember our expedition to the Great Obelisk in Space Arrow World? It took so long, and seemed so far, and when we finally got there, it was so enormous - like some great relic left behind by a long lost civilization, thousands of years before ....

And the truth is, no one had ever been there before us. I don't think even Mike ever did that journey.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 06 2007, 02:57

Quote (Alan D @ July 05 2007, 13:31)
Colin has now put the new revised free versions of Maestro and Tr3sLunas up at mikeoldfield.com. So if you're one of those who's had graphics problems, you can now download the corrected versions.

Goody! Thanks for all your efforts, Alan. The redownloaded/reinstalled version is working fine for me - no more unsightly 'blocking'. :)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 06 2007, 03:03

Quote (Sweatpea @ July 06 2007, 07:57)
The redownloaded/reinstalled version is working fine for me - no more unsightly 'blocking'.

That's good to hear - thanks for letting us know. So you're fixed, and Gary's fixed, and my wife's laptop is fixed. Holger was having similar trouble too last night using a different computer, but it looks as though the new version will fix him too.
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: July 06 2007, 19:41

Hi people,

thanks to the French mailing list I discovered this great fact that both game are now freely given. I fully agree that this is a great initiative for a dying world to survive. I played a lot 3L when it was out on my laptop, I really had some good time (even me who used to be a "standard PC game player" using great graphics and gameplay). I was more disappointed by Maestro where I couldn't find the magic of scenes + music happening in 3L, where I you *really* fly sometimes, maybe I didn't had the patience to get to it, too big, too quite...

Anyway now the big difference is that I'm a iMac user, having parallels desktop (not boot camp, not interested really) for old surviving windows XP needs... I saw people talking about here before in this thread, but the only answer mentions VINE or whatever that I don't have.

So I tried to install 3L into parallels (taking the version from download section, not buy section, is it ok ?), but it won't work, always an error of video mode not supported, even with weakest options on. I tryied to raise video size in parallels options (64 Mb max), "direct X" on, but not better.

Anyone tried that ? any idea ?

Thanks and long live to MO spirit wherever it may reside.

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
gary1eye Offline

Posted: July 07 2007, 10:31

Quote (Holger @ July 05 2007, 08:48)
Quote (Alan D @ July 05 2007, 00:41)
In hindsight, I felt that these landscapes seemed to have always been embedded in Mike's music from the start.

Yes, I'd agree with that. Very well put. BTW, yesterday I discovered the weird room with the opening and closing doors in Maestro. Even though I could not find a way out of it, and it should have been quite frustrating, it wasn't really. I just kept flying through it for I guess half an hour, thinking, "wow, this is so awesome"!

Hi Holger

To help you out the "door maze" have a look at this!!!

Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 07 2007, 14:14

Ah, thanks! I saw that map, actually, but had no idea what it was for.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 06 2008, 16:51

These games are free now?!?!?! Who wants to play???? I do!

I've never bought the game because I never had a credit card (still don't), but now that it's free....AWESOME! Does it work online with playing with other people?

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2008, 17:28

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Feb. 06 2008, 21:51)
Does it work online with playing with other people?

Yes, of course. Tell us when you've got it installed and running, and we'll fix something up.
Profile PM 
83 replies since June 23 2007, 13:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net