Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music score in cover artwork, What is that?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 07 2003, 07:52

[You know, it's somewhat unusual for me to launch two brand new topics containing wh-questions not only in the same day, but within a few minutes... however, since my brain is a little bit scrambled :D, here I go.]

On the second-to-last page of the (original) Amarok booklet, there is a music score in Mike's hand, entitled 'Radio 1 Session'. What music is that? IIRC Mike performed part of TB during that session, so is that bit of music from TB? And if this is the case, what section of TB does it come from?

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: July 30 2011, 19:50

CAN NO ONE ANSWER THIS within ten years? all the eyes and know one seeing, or poss caring!.
IF I COME ACROSS an answer I wiII let U Know!!UGO
Y3LLING OUT "does any1 know?, does any1 care?, is any1 there?, HeIIooooooooooooooo its a bit dusty in here.
CIAOooooooooooooooo

--------------
L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 30 2011, 20:30

My copy of Amarok doesn't show this - it's a recent edition.
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: July 31 2011, 02:47

I am sure I have seen it on line somewhere poss here?

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 31 2011, 05:28

;) Are you speaking about the "paper" score he takes in his hand on the video at 11 seconds !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TomU5tdNx4I
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 31 2011, 05:49

:/ ahhh sorry now i see ! Yes on last page there is a score colored in green .

6 lines ( A to F )

Radio I is written on top .

First one starts with theses chords ( A  E  F#  DE  DE  F# )

well i guess it's from Amarok
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 31 2011, 05:57

:O ohh maybe Ryan ( this name ) could help ??!!?? ......
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: July 31 2011, 06:12

LOOKIN GOOD UGO, thanks every one for joining me in the quest to get an answer for Ugo, C many new & wiser eyes now here, & remember many eyes awake to make light of seeing.
Ergo hopefully an answer 4 aII eyes 2C & wiII B in the arrival lounge soon, the flight I beIIEV3 (sorry every one my smellin is apooling Ωελλ ε\/ε) is in the air & homeward bound.

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: July 31 2011, 06:22

Sadly I don't have a copy of the album with the sheet music on it so maybe someone could direct me to an image or they could upload a scan?

In terms of the chords you mention....funnily enough, when I read those they reminded me of a small section of Amarok I have just transcribed so maybe it is from that section?

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 31 2011, 08:00

:/  my scan is out of service ! waouhhh i don't know how i've done but i found it in the net anyway !

http://www.minilps.net/oldfiel....a-15078
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: July 31 2011, 12:00

Well I hope I can help with this.

It is very much themes from Amarok and not Tubular Bells. Most of the themes I am familiar with although it is very hard to make out the notation on the page where the text lies on top. However at the bottom he has written several clues about Africa and sections that fit within Amarok. Onto the page of notation itself we have the following themes at the times below:

A –  29.05 (recurring theme but here is a good example of it)

B –  34.25 (Electric piano melody)

C – 34.49 (Glockenspiel)

D – 35.14 (Electric piano melody again)

E - Really stumped on this one as it does not sound familiar within Amarok to my knowledge, unless it is a melody that never got used or which forms a backing riff. It sounds odd played with the chords provided as well so am unsure about letter E.

Hope this helps the original poster from 2003 ;)

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2011, 08:27

How about the script\writing can anyone read what that says?
or is that going into the bag of secrets too!

[img=http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/4391/amarokslev2.th.jpg]
[img=http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/1940/amarokslev.th.jpg]

Thank you TT & Ryan for your help in this SO FAR!.

Better images can be seen here http://www.argiers.com/lp12england.html

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2011, 09:51

The theme marked as Radio 1 (i.e. BBC) is TB, for a performance Mike did there at the time. Everything else looks like Amarok. The handwritten notes at the bottom (under the story) is part of the list of sections.

--------------
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2011, 13:38

Quote (ThisName @ July 31 2011, 19:00)

It is very much themes from Amarok and not Tubular Bells. Most of the themes I am familiar with although it is very hard to make out the notation on the page where the text lies on top. However at the bottom he has written several clues about Africa and sections that fit within Amarok. Onto the page of notation itself we have the following themes at the times below:

C – 34.49 (Glockenspiel)

E - Really stumped on this one as it does not sound familiar within Amarok to my knowledge, unless it is a melody that never got used or which forms a backing riff. It sounds odd played with the chords provided as well so am unsure about letter E.

Hope this helps the original poster from 2003 ;)

Dear Ryan,
Thank you again for your hard work in trying to answer Ugo's question for him.

I wondεr why E? would make no sεnce musically if that is what you are saying, would you be kind enough to do a sound file of it for us to hear? who do not possess your gift or talent! :(  

As it would be good if we could vεrify the 5th part "E" (as in the fifth letter epsilon or var εpsilon 3) sound by ear, just maybe this is the sound one would hear if they had an ear at the hole  ;)   Plus would you do me another favour and turn the piεce around i.ε. the E sεction in rεvεrsε. might be a musical variation we would enjoy, like Mike said he did with TB!

Yours gratefully
I1...

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2011, 13:43

Sorry I do not understand to whom this is directed.

Ugo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The theme marked as Radio 1 (i.e. BBC) is TB, for a performance Mike did there at the time. Everything else looks like Amarok. The handwritten notes at the bottom (under the story) is part of the list of sections.

--------------

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2011, 18:52

It isn't directed to anybody. It's actually a mistake - I thought someone here had confirmed that the themes on the "Radio 1" sheet belonged to TB. I was wrong - they belong almost entirely to Amarok. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2011, 20:41

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 27 2011, 01:52)
It isn't directed to anybody. It's actually a mistake - I thought someone here had confirmed that the themes on the "Radio 1" sheet belonged to TB. I was wrong - they belong almost entirely to Amarok. :D

Thank you for confirming that Ugo.

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2011, 18:40

THIS IS A COPY OF THE MAIL I SENT TO THE MEMBER THISNAME TODAY, BUT IF ANY OTHER MEMBER COULD HELP BY USING THEIR TALENT HERE I WOULD BE MOST GRATEFUL.

Dear Ryan

I hope all is well with you.  The below post that I have copied from the forum & pasted into this email was one I made on the forum a month ago, the topic I first posted to was in the hope that someone could help in providing an answer to Ugo's question, which you very kindly have given an answer to.

Yet you may of missed that the answer you have revealed has led me into wondering if there could be yet another hidden message in the album artwork as described in the post I made below which you may of not seen or if you did you may of not fully understood my post & why I feel the notation may contain the missing sound that Mike suggests one of the men in the story is supposed to of heard come from golden statue.

I realise that this could be a long shot a total stab in the dark, yet just maybe this could explain the strange out of place inclusion of these graphics on the cover artwork.  Plus I would imagine one will realise that there are few things that are normal about this album.  Hence the music notation on which you write in your reply [quoted below] may I feel contain a hidden surprise due to it being assigned by Mike the letter E & not a number line! & thus this could be a clue! because I would propose MO has knowledge of Greek lettering in his use of it in the computer games he created & his time spent in Greece & if so the E could suggest the following:-

Due to the fact that Greek letters can represent numbers & especially in times gone by were used as numbers by the ancient philosophers in the time of the creation of the Pythagorean scales & the original idea of the Music of the Spheres which we I would think, can therefore accept Mike has a full appreciation & understanding of, along with a knowledge that the letter epsilon has a version called var epsilon (as he uses many of these letters in the encryptions he has placed in his game MaestrO) which is defined mathematically as the reverse version (a "var" iety of epsilon that can also be used as a representation of proof or to verify a fact) & as you are probably aware MO has been known to use the reversed E in his work as in the number/letter 3 instead of E in Tr3s Luna's to represent the numerical or mathematical value in the word tres or thr3e in meaning 3 moons.

I thus feel that there may be more to this particular line of notation than first meets the eyes, sadly our group the "I"s does not contain a musician in order to interpret this music & hence I am asking you in the post below if you would be kind enough to supply a sound file to the members here to hear for themselves the sound of this notation & especially what the line E would sound like if reversed.  Please keep in mind that MO once went on record as saying he had used another composers notes played in reverse in the creation of TB! so a further question I find myself asking you is are the notes in the other bars A,B,C,D & F anything to do with notes Mike has used in reverse in his music in other albums that have come from other peoples works?.
I note that you did not comment on the last bit of notation in line F & wondered why?

Please understand that I fully accept that I/we could be barking up the wrong tree & please do not think that I am saying that what I suggest in this email is definitely so, I am only writing this as a possibility that I feel warrants investigation that I hope you can find time to carry this out & in applying your expertise on our behalf in order to check if our/my hunch has any evidence in truth, I/we will be most grateful.

Yours gratefully
I1...

........................THE FOLLOWING IS THE POST FROM THE FORUM.........................................................

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote (ThisName @ July 31 2011, 19:00)

C – 34.49 (Glockenspiel)

Hope this helps the original poster from 2003.

MY REPLY POST:-  

Dear Ryan,
Thank you again for your hard work in trying to answer Ugo's question for him.

I wondεr why E? would make no sεnce musically if that is what you are saying, would you be kind enough to do a sound file of it for us to hear? who do not possess your gift or talent!  

As it would be good if we could vεrify the 5th part "E" (as in the fifth letter epsilon or var εpsilon 3) sound by ear, just maybe this is the sound one would hear if they had an ear at the hole.     Plus would you do me another favour and turn the piεce around i.ε. the E sεction in rεvεrsε. might be a musical variation we would enjoy, like Mike said he did with TB!

Yours gratefully
I1...

--------------
mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2011, 17:00

Thank you Ryan for your email I now wait in in-trepidation to hear these notations produced by your very own fingers.
I will feel honoured & ever grateful for your granting my wish.

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
Profile PM 
I3ELLSend Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2013, 18:40

Quote (Tubular Tos @ July 31 2011, 05:28)
;) Are you speaking about the "paper" score he takes in his hand on the video at 11 seconds !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TomU5tdNx4I

Hello TT & others I have seen this video many times before & only recently have I noticed what Mike is holding in his hand although sadly for me I do not read music & many I expect would also add to that that I can not play or make it either   :/  

However I would hope that other fans on here do so please does anyone know what the notes are from? the ones on the inner cover of that fag rolling paper pack that TT spotted Mike is holding eleven seconds into this video & has indicated that it might be of interest in his above post.

For I too would love to know what this & the notes from the Amarok back sleeve would sound like played in the way others have asked & would it not be great if it got put up on here for us all to hear.

Lastly can anyone say if it is true that TB notes played backwards would be Toccata & fugue in D minor or is Mike having us on when he states this in part 1 of the BBC HEAVEN & EARTH PROGRAME that deals with many areas of Mike's life & has a Mike in the third min of this interview admitting to plagiarising Bach's work by playing some of its notes in reverse in TB. So please! can anyone play it backwards to see if this is so?

The Video can be seen here on You tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8IumHMDGBk

--------------
HOLA OLA (HELLO spanish ALL greek) IS IT A GOOD TIME TO CHANGE THE "ORDER"? & HOW DOES CRYING MAKE YOU FEEL? these are very deep questions, don't you think?
Profile PM 
21 replies since Feb. 07 2003, 07:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net