Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music score in cover artwork, What is that?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
GusFogle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 13 2013, 11:15

Quote (I3ELLSend @ Mar. 06 2013, 18:40)

@I3ELLSend

I'm not sure what song the piece of music written on the rolling paper is. I played it on piano and it sounds like some sort of Spanish lick Mike might have composed for guitar. It may not have ever been used.

As for Tubular Bells being the backwards version of Tocatta...that's pure nonsense. The notes and intervals between the notes are totally different, backwards or forwards. The 2 pieces are also in different musical modes- the Tocatta is in D Harmonic Minor, while Tubular Bells is in A Natural Minor  :D
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 13 2013, 14:50

Quote (I3ELLSend @ Mar. 06 2013, 18:40)
Lastly can anyone say if it is true that TB notes played backwards would be Toccata & fugue in D minor or is Mike having us on when he states this in part 1 of the BBC HEAVEN & EARTH PROGRAME that deals with many areas of Mike's life & has a Mike in the third min of this interview admitting to plagiarising Bach's work by playing some of its notes in reverse in TB. So please! can anyone play it backwards to see if this is so?

Mike didn't mention playing Bach's piece backwards, but actually "upside-down" -- that is, lower notes became higher notes and vice-versa. But that's not plagiarism in any way: classical composers have been reusing each other's ideas for centuries, and turning old songs into new songs all the time. The idea of playing music "upside-down" is at least as old as Bach himself: he did that in a lot of his fugues. But even with all those things considered, if you actually invert the D minor fugue, it will actually sound very different from Tubular Bells. It's likely that Mike only took Bach's piece as a starting point and arrived somewhere completely different.

His "confession", to me, sounds like he's just trying to disspell the huge myth that Tubular Bells has become, showing that the music is not all that innovative as people might think. It must be sickening to see one single album being constantly picked as the freshest thing ever and copied everywhere (like in John Carpenter's Halloween), so I think his comment was born out of frustration more than anything.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
21 replies since Feb. 07 2003, 07:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net