Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres streams< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 19 2007, 13:37

Quote (TheSentinel @ Sep. 19 2007, 09:02)

What this album sounds like is nothing compared to what was given to Mike at the end of the studio recording.

Is that a bit of insider knowledge? Got any more info on it? I'd love to know how it differed.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2007, 15:14

Toby, I found this from the classics and jazz article.

The final step was the mixing: a process that Oldfield takes more seriously than many of his contemporaries, and which can completely alter the sound of the usic. "Mixing to me is as important to the finished sound as the actual writing of the notes," explains Mike. "What we recorded in Abbey Road would be almost unrecognisable now."

If you haven't read this, there's a link in the news section.
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2007, 16:45

Quote (gbcrvh @ Sep. 16 2007, 19:09)
Has anyone visualized album yet while listening to it?

Kind of...

See here

:laugh:

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2007, 16:52

Quote (Markus K. @ Sep. 19 2007, 16:45)

Kind of...

See here

Wonder why they didn't choose this title and artwork! It's much better!

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2007, 21:24

Quote (Markus K. @ Sep. 19 2007, 23:45)
See here

Neat. :) :laugh:
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 19 2007, 22:26

Quote (Markus K. @ Sep. 19 2007, 22:45)

Kind of...

See here

hehehe Mike Old Wonka :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2007, 00:03

Tasty music! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!  :cool:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Jens Pielawa Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2007, 06:28

So now I have listened to the whole album a few times – yes, I have downloaded it as well, but don't be afraid: I will buy the album for sure, maybe even more than once as a gift for some people (who like classic music or MO in general), just because...
It is fantastic!
There were so many adjectives thrown in into this discussion, but I would like to add...
tenderly...
yes, I have never heard such tenderly music in a few years since, well, maybe some of Vangelis' works. Mike's music, despite some majestic overwhelming moments, is so smooth, so delicate in certain parts. Take "Silhouette", this is filled with love, dedication. "Aurora" gave me massive goosebumps up and down my spine, it's the most joyful piece from Mike in maybe a whole decade and more. You can easily whistle to this tune after a few listenings, and it will stay there for a long time.
Simply brilliant. MOTS is one of the best albums I have heard from Mike. It hadn't that instant impact like it was with Amarok, but after three or four times it works perfectly, and flows completely.
Just some minor critics: I do not like "Tempest" that much with its arhythmic pattern, and the end of MOTS should have been the five notes of the piano without the huge final (at 5:56). It doesn't need the "big bang" IMO. Some drum sounds are a bit too "plastic" from time to time – but that's it.
MOTS has anything in it, TB, O, some Incantations, Voyager etc. and is a great work. Easily a record worth to put it up in the Top 5, not beating Amarok – but coming close, closer than some of the albums before.
Well done, Mike! Very surprising, very fresh, very... well, tenderly.

Best regards from
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2007, 12:25

I can't agree more. I forgot to write it here; but one of the things I noticed that this album had the typical joy and energetic yet tender, innocent and pure happiness of the best oldfield works in it.
Profile PM 
marco ita Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2007, 15:17

The theme of this work certainly includes the TB; the legendary part where the master of ceremony originally appears, is reproduced.

Besides I have the feeling that, since it is so elegant, the folk part has been eliminated and that the original sequence has not been strictly followed.

Furthermore I want to point out that there is a contamination pf arrangements and sounds of “incantations” and “hergest ridge” in the masterpiece, even if it has been reviewed and the gloominess eliminated.

My judgement remains excellent.
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2007, 15:48

Well I finally listened to the album, in fact twice and I am planning my third listen soon. Just wanted to share my thoughts to those who have not heard the album yet.

Suffice it to say, this album has really got me excited for the first time in ages, it simply is a stunning album. For those worried about it being a selection of short tunes, do not fear, it is very well woven and structurally very strong with all the recurring and developing themes you would expect from the early albums.
The melodies are rich, varied and beautiful (On My heart is really incredible and deserves to make it to the top of the classical charts!;)

This is bound to please all the fans because it contains all of Oldfield's musical mannerisms (the short/long rhythms) and is particularly sumptuous.

My 2 gripes with the album are very small, these being that the main motif throughout the album is perhaps too similar to Tubular Bells and this will surely be commented on once it is released.
Some of the orchestration in places is a little odd (I am a composer so will probably notice this more)

Bottom line, fantastic album, quite rightly in my top 5 oldfield albums, which I think is quite an achievement. I would have preferred a little more complexity in lines with Incantations but this is a minor point.

I will be buying the album for sure :)

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Teidi Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2007, 10:27

MOTS really becomes so much more appealing after 4 or 5 listens - I now look forward to every single track on the album, whereas at first listen, I must admit I didn't think it was anything terribly special.  

There are many sections towards the latter half that only last 10-15 seconds that I really wish could be made into full 4 minute songs, but I guess that's the way a classical work goes!
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2007, 12:01

I remember there was a lot of discussion a couple of months ago here when the album track lengths were anounced and a few people were worried that the album sounded like it was going to be to short. People pointed out that Ommadawn and infact many other Mike albums are round about the 45-50 minute mark. I think my only real criticism of MOTS is that it is infact to short. Unlike an album like Ommadawn which feels like its a lot longer than it is MOTS comes to an end far to soon for me. I wonder what music, if any, was left out of the final edit? I do wish Musica Universalis went on for so much longer than it does, the lead melody is just so perfect and so well written I just wish it was played on a few more instruments before the climactic bells come in.
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2007, 20:03

Obviously someone was impressed by music, but it sad that at least some sort of video was not made (after all, it's youtube which stands for video works).

"Movement Of The Spheres" plus one bonus sphere.  ;)

...and a few imperfections, but I'm too lazy to fix them.  :/

The video is made just for fun and maybe it works as unofficial promotion. Anyway my idea (obviously) is not to cause financial loss to copyright owners.

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2007, 20:50

Quote (Markus K. @ Sep. 22 2007, 20:03)
Obviously someone was impressed by music, but it sad that at least some sort of video was not made (after all, it's youtube which stands for video works).

"Movement Of The Spheres" plus one bonus sphere.  ;)

...and a few imperfections, but I'm too lazy to fix them.  :/

The video is made just for fun and maybe it works as unofficial promotion. Anyway my idea (obviously) is not to cause financial loss to copyright owners.

:O  ;) Great ! Love this video !
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2007, 17:24

Have just listened for the 4th time to the album and can now confirm it to be one of the best MO albums so far. I never thought I would ever say that about a mike oldfield album, to be able to compare to the early albums in terms of greatness but this album really does deliver. The themes are so beautiful throughout and perhaps my best moment on the album is the closing moments of the Tempest where the strings soar up with their rhythmic patters as the brass section enters with that glorious theme!

There are moments where Jenkins can clearly be heard but I feel that musically this album far surpasses his music.

For those who have not heard the album yet, you are in for a real treat!

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 23 2007, 17:31

I can actually understand that the album seems shorter than it is, but I guess that's because there's so much stuff going on in it. I think it's a good thing. And yes, that correctly implies that Ommadawn is just one big noodle. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2007, 23:36

Hello there! I`ve been reading this board for a number of years now, off and on. Usually when Mike`s about to do something I suppose,which is I guess what brings me here.
I`ve heard the album about 4 or 5 times, and read what everybody has to say on this thread.And I`ve gotta` say I find myself agreeing with a lot of both the positive and negative points already posted here.Anyway I`ll try and get the negative one`s (for myself anyway) out the way first...

Firstly, It doesn`t matter how anybody tries to dress it up, or delude themselves,much of this album is yet another tubular ding dong pastische. Whether it be TB 4, or Orchetral 2, or Tubular Bells meets Godzilla and The Swamp Thing???We are once again right back where we started. In future years time whilst you are mulling over which of your many Mike Oldfield albums to slide into your Cd drawer, you may well decide to yourself..."Howzabout a one that doesn`t go a-rink-dink-a-dink at the start of it!"Because in which case you wont be picking this one.

Unfortunatly though it doesn`t end there,and not just because it`s the main theme of the entire piece and crops up itself a number of times.It`s the way Harbinger links into Animus(TB 1 AND 2) Or it`s the rhytmic bass line of Musica Universalis(TB 1,2 and Wind Chimes etc)Or it`s the way my wife looks at me whilst I`m listening to the album and says(Jesus Christ not another bloody Tubular Bells! ) Which quite frankly is the worst one of all.

I can remember playing Wind Chimes to a fellow Oldfield fan/friend of mine 20 bloody years ago. A piece of music I may add which at the time I truly loved. But as soon as that Rhythmic bass thing appeared he turned to me and said.."He`s tking the piss now though, isn`t he?" Well I have to say in some respect I found it very difficult to disagree with him.And that was long before he actualy at least had the decency to tell you in the album title what you were going to get. Which is probably why this album has been "leaked" so early (kerching! Kerching! )

I don`t know if it`s Mike himself, or the record companies or both?? But they seem to think this is what we want? And unfortunatly when you look at the record sales they may well be right.I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that when this album is released Classic Fm will play Harbinger to death.Fair play to him I suppose, Job done! Bring back all those part-timers again that we haven`t seen since ooooh 2003. Who probably buy 3 cd`s a year or something from tescos....Good grief!!!!!!

So what`s left for the rest of us muppets who`ve bought every single album he`s ever made, and listened to them an infinite number of times. Well aside from the fact we have a longer and fully realised composition here to wrap our senses around. Mike has without doubt come up with some of his strongest melodies on this album since his very very early days for me. And not only that but he`s arranged and put them together so beautifully words can`t describe it. There are some passages of music on this album that have brought me close to tears. And I dare say in the right frame of mind I will be in tears. All without playing one note on his electric guitar,which has to be pure genius in itself.Not to mention very disciplined on his part.This is probably the most emotional orchestral piece of music I`ve heard since John Taverner`s Protecting Veil, to my ears anyway.

I don`t know what the critics are going to make of it though, but my guess is it`s gonna` take a pounding in some quarters. C`est la vie etc...In my lifetime it`s never really been cool to like Mike Oldfield. I first got into his music at the height of punk and new wave when I was a young kid. But I`m still a big fan of both, and believe it or not, it was actually John Peel playing Incantations on his radio show one night that got me into his music.For me it`s almost as if Mike hinders himself on purpose sometimes. With this album it`s the whole tubular thing again. With the last one it was the cheesy eurotrance beat thing. Even though there was still much of L&S that I loved. Way back in 1980 when I was 14 years old I can remember buying QE2 and thinking..(wot the fook is he dicking about with vocoders for?) Because they sounded naff even then for crying out loud.......On and on, year after year it`s the same thing, I guess he`s never gonna` change. Changeling my arse!! Mike, I love yer  :cool:
Profile PM 
backwoodsman Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2007, 04:31

Quote (ThisName @ Sep. 21 2007, 15:48)
I would have preferred a little more complexity in lines with Incantations but this is a minor point.

I have noticed the same thing and I would also have preferred a little more complexity. Especially the chord progressions he uses on MOTS are VERY simple. And I think he uses those same chords in many themes and passages. I must admit that this makes the music sound a bit "simple" especially after dozens of listenings. But the melodies are still very beautiful and it is still a very good album. And I'm still going to buy it . :)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2007, 05:54

Quote (Dirk Star @ Sep. 23 2007, 23:36)
I don`t know what the critics are going to make of it though, but my guess is it`s gonna` take a pounding in some quarters.

The thing is though being a 'classical' record the mainstream music press are even less likely to even bother reviewing than they usually are with a MO release. I don't really know what hardcore classical music critics will think of it but me doubts they'll like it, it'll be deemed a soundtrack without a movie by some probably and very formulaic.

Good post though I agree with a lot of what you say. I played it to my step brother (who's another Oldfield nut, or at least used to be before the chill out stuff) at the weekend and he really liked it but it was a case of here we go again when Harbinger begun, I told him not to worry it gets much much better and he agreed. I'm sure you're right though Classic FM probably will play Harbinger to death and On My Heart for that matter, the two most formulaic parts of the album, but maybe thats the point and its about time Mike had some radio play - whatever it may be.
Profile PM 
197 replies since Sep. 07 2007, 11:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net