[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres streams< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Nicolas Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 16 2007, 19:24

Quote (Tas @ Sep. 14 2007, 14:28)
I am thrilled to pieces with what i have heard. Mike has always been so much more mike when it's done with real instruments and i am already getting a good feeling from this already.

I think I know what you mean, but the "unreal instruments" are not the problem an sich. For example Taurus 2 contains quite a few "unreal instruments" such as vocoders and hardware synths, but in my opinion it's an excellent and stereotype oldfield piece. (and besides, the difference between a synth from that era and a piano is not larger than an acoustic and electric guitar)

The "problems" appear to start sometimes when he uses machines/programs that can create too much music without him being involved in every single note. Many artists can be very creative and personal using these tools (for example Underworld are masters of the drum box and sequencer), from time to time MO also succeeds here, but sometimes the end result is just, well, boring. "I know how to use this thing now!" does not mean you've just finished an excellent piece.

But anyway none of that in MOTS. As another person posted here, when hearing it more often, also the initially more boring and cliché parts get interesting, beautiful and you start to recognize the typical MO influence in them.

@korgscrew: that makes sense, since there will be no official DTS release. I hope that means the higher brass will also be more gentle.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2007, 03:25

Quote (gbcrvh @ Sep. 16 2007, 21:37)
Have you tried it with some other browser than the one you use by default?

Tried Firefox, but makes no difference.

Trinidad said:
You can also try to open Media Player, and select "File->Open URL direction"

That worked! Thanks Trinidad.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2007, 10:15

Someone previously noted that there are influences from Tubular Bells, Incantations, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn and others of Mike's albums in MotS. I can definitely see the first two (Harbinger and Musica Univarsalis echoing TB1 and Aurora echoing Incantations) but where are the other similarities?

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2007, 13:37

Hmm... I certainly don't hear much of Ommadawn. I guess some of it has a certain pastoral feel a bit like Hergest Ridge but its a tenuous comparison. The Tempest though based on a TB like riff actually reminds  me of Amarok, certainly at the climax but especially when the oboe plays that great little melody at 2.20sec in the track.
Its just such a wonderful thing that MOTS has elements of all the great MO albums after years of relatively souless chill out music.
Profile PM 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2007, 14:49

Except obvious there are also some "mental traps" which may be up to individual state of mind.  For example, on first listening first second of Animus to me immediately brought back memory of Out of Mind (Guitars).  Perhaps it is "sound colour" which is the same and same finger work which starts melody, but to me that was the link on first hearing (and ever after).  But that's exactly where all similarities do stop.  Not sure if anyone else did get that too...
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2007, 15:33

There's definetely some Ravel type piano in Silhouette, it starts at 1:12. That's from the Piano Concerto movement 2. I'm also hearing Sibelius' 6th, movement 4, kind of stuf in Empyrean at 0:32. Could be wrong, I'll get back to this later in another thread. (I have a feeling there's going to be quite a few MotS threads in the future).  :)
Hrvoje, weird as it may be, first seconds of Animus really do sound like Out of Mind.
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2007, 16:38

Quote (gbcrvh @ Sep. 16 2007, 18:09)
And to me, at least right now, it seems as music - first part - is telling a story of space and how it started from big bang and how things did develop.  I found myself lost in that during The Tempest which first brought a vision of small meteors bombing planets as universe expanded.  Second part the is focused on  how it is now and how it moves (thus on my heart is much slower in reprise).  As all early elements get to be part of end result (instruments/space) I guess soon or later someone might make a movie on that subject using this album.

Curiously, I had, some years ago, a very similar idea, but for TB III. I thought about the possibility of doing an animation for the full album, and had every single detail in my mind, but the idea just faded away. I may do it, someday.
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2007, 17:50

Quote (Moonwing_Shadow @ Sep. 07 2007, 20:00)
Hmmm...
I'm trying to decide if I want to listen to these...
I had the thought that I might like to hear the album all as new when it's released...it's tempting of course... :p

I have to say I will not be listening to any clips if I can help it. I'd like to be surprised and hopefully delighted when the music hits my ears not already two parts familiar with it. This seems to be the modern way, like releasing a novel chapter by chapter. Its not very satisfying in my opinion especially if there is supposed to be a sense of unity to the album as opposed to a collection of loosely strung together pieces. Still, it is encouraging to note the reactions are positive. Now I need to bury my head in the proverbial to avoid reading too much about the music! Enjoy, if you are a slice by slicer...I shall do my best to preserve my 'virgin' ears!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 17 2007, 21:49

Just finished my first listen of the album. Weirdly enough, the first thing I downloaded was a horrid rip of the album, riddled with artefacts and non stop hiccuping. What I just heard is a very high quality VBR rip, and it seems pretty fine to hang on to, at least for now. But as for the music itself... well...

Well! I won't be jumping into conclusions, not for now, but it's safe to assume this album will live on my playlist for quite some time, and with some repeated listens, I'll probably go around whistling some of these melodies around the street. This basically wipes off completely everything he released after Heaven's Open, and starts again anew - though I'm not quite sure THIS is even similar to what he might've released in place of Tubular Bells II if his plans hadn't changed like they did. But I'm confident that this is the definitive Tubular Bells II, to me. I don't mean to be derogatory, you know; I admit it was a bit eye-rolling to realise the structure is mostly recycled from Tubular Bells III, but the themes are so solid and interesting, they make the whole thing worthwhile. There's a sense of authenticity in this. It has its purposes and goals clearly set, and achieves them. It also wisely sidesteps the exaggerated climaxes and sudden blasts - the dynamics are very well worked out. I was relieved the final track was so gentle and soothing the way it was. Thank you, Mike, for not trying to blow my eardrums off! Honest!

I'm also not quite sure on pigeon-holing this album as "classical"... Oldfield uses his own musical language on the album, instead of searching for traditional methods. Just because it has an orchestra doesn't mean it's classical, you know. The album fits very very comfortably within Oldfield's catalogue, and I think any attempt at separation would actually harm it. This is Mike Oldfield from beginning to end, from violin to horn.

And yes, I still can't stand that cover. But I'll just dig the music. I'm moderately sure I'll like this more than Ommadawn with a few listens - it sure has potential and melodies enough for that. As for those who haven't listened to it yet, it's very noble to wait until the CD is released, and I think it'll be worth the wait. Nonetheless, whenever you put your hands on it, crank the volume up. Let the dynamics work the way they should and cling onto the music.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2007, 04:28

Sir Mustapha. I agree with you when you say it's hard to file it as classical music. (nice review btw).

I agree... Even in the bits where there's only classical instruments playing, you still think 'this is Mike'. And recognise it right away.

And funny how I really love this album, and can't seem to like/listen to  last years classical album by Roger Waters, Ça Ira.

Mike deafinately did much better with this kind of music :)
On My Heart is the best song I've heard in years...
:cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
zinc Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2007, 08:25

\Just wondering if anyone had heard yet if a live concert was planned for near Xmas time as I did pick up the rumour from somewhere the other day. This would be amazing to hear and especially if televised!
Cheers
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2007, 08:26

Quote (gbcrvh @ Sep. 17 2007, 14:49)
Except obvious there are also some "mental traps" which may be up to individual state of mind.  For example, on first listening first second of Animus to me immediately brought back memory of Out of Mind (Guitars).  Perhaps it is "sound colour" which is the same and same finger work which starts melody, but to me that was the link on first hearing (and ever after).  But that's exactly where all similarities do stop.  Not sure if anyone else did get that too...

I got the exact same reaction, the first time I heard the beginning of that piece I thought "out of mind! *hey* it stopped"

I love these tiny little references. He does a similar thing on Sunset (L&S). Somewhere halfway into the tune, there's a micro reference to the Tubular Bells finale bassline.

Re imagining scenes/animations on MO's music: I think a very strong and typical point in MO's music is the powerful images it creates in your mind. The music is not random, it always creates a mood, a scene.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2007, 09:46

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 18 2007, 04:49)
I'm also not quite sure on pigeon-holing this album as "classical"... Oldfield uses his own musical language on the album, instead of searching for traditional methods. Just because it has an orchestra doesn't mean it's classical, you know. The album fits very very comfortably within Oldfield's catalogue, and I think any attempt at separation would actually harm it. This is Mike Oldfield from beginning to end, from violin to horn.

That, IMHO, is like saying that classical music is all the same and that composers have just been copying eatch other. Sure there are some cliches, but you can hear something traditional in Mots too. I mean, call it what you want(you seem to like it, that's enough), but I see no problem with classical. Sooo many artists today are considered classical. I think, for marketing purposes, it must fit in some hole. Maybe in the future Mike will have his own genre, but for now, we'll have to call MotS classical or... what else could it be?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 18 2007, 13:30

Quote (Harmono @ Sep. 18 2007, 09:46)
That, IMHO, is like saying that classical music is all the same and that composers have just been copying eatch other.

There's a clear difference between "sounding the same" and "using the same language". The music we call "classical" is inserted in a context, shares ideas, forms, shapes, goals and intentions. I just happen to think making "classical music" isn't simply writing for an orchestra. To make an analogy, is sort of thinking that, for turning a comedy movie into a drama, you simply cut off the jokes. The difference is much, much deeper than that. I still have trouble thinking of Music of the Spheres as Classical music, and that's neither "good" or "bad". I'm not one of those who thinks Classical music is a "high form of art" - it's just another form. Music of the Spheres fits the context of Tubular Bells, Incantations and Crises. For Mike, that's excellent: it means he can expand his palette while retaining his value - something, in my opinion, he did not display on The Songs of Distant Earth.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2007, 17:03

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 18 2007, 20:30)
There's a clear difference between "sounding the same" and "using the same language". The music we call "classical" is inserted in a context, shares ideas, forms, shapes, goals and intentions. I just happen to think making "classical music" isn't simply writing for an orchestra.

But what is that context, what are the shared ideas, forms, shapes, goals and intentions. Apart from instrumentation, I don't see many, if any, similarities between Vivaldi and Schoenberg, or beethoven and Reich, yet they are all thought of as (western) classical composers. I even think of Zappa's orchestral works and Pink Floyd played by LSO as classical music.
Wikipedia says:" "Classical music" is a broad, imprecise term, usually referring to music produced in, or rooted in the traditions of, Western art, ecclesiastical and concert music, encompassing a broad period from roughly 1000. to the present day."
That's true I think. Music of the Spheres is classical, or just Oldfield, I'm fine as long as no one calls it new age!
Profile PM 
AirPiano Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2007, 17:47

Does anyone know if Mike is planning on releasing the sheet music for this? I know he has a Sibelius score, and I would really like to see the music for the tracks, especially Musica Univeralis and Empyrean. A good album all round...
Profile PM 
Teidi Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2007, 01:46

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 18 2007, 13:30)
Music of the Spheres fits the context of Tubular Bells, Incantations and Crises. For Mike, that's excellent: it means he can expand his palette while retaining his value - something, in my opinion, he did not display on The Songs of Distant Earth.

I'm not sure even MO himself could define his own "value" of music.  It just so happens that a huge amount of MO fans were captured and enamored with the early 90's SODE era, myself included.  MOTS just so happens to contain a different, almost polar opposite, set of musical vectors.  Whereas this album evokes the mind and the heart like all good classical music, SODE evoked the body and the spirit.   MO's albums span the range of these vectors more than any other artist on the planet, for sure, and they always contain a certain element of all of them.   That's what helps give him the unique signature that we all recognize.
Profile PM 
backwoodsman Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2007, 03:39

Quote (Teidi @ Sep. 19 2007, 01:46)
MOTS just so happens to contain a different, almost polar opposite, set of musical vectors.  [...]  MO's albums span the range of these vectors more than any other artist on the planet, for sure, and they always contain a certain element of all of them.

You sound like a mathematician!  :D
Profile PM 
TheSentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2007, 09:02

First time post on this site but here goes...

Just finished listening to this album and it is definately one of Mikes best in a long time.  The production value is first-class.  

What this album sounds like is nothing compared to what was given to Mike at the end of the studio recording.  Mikes strengths - apart from his amazing ability with instruments and composing - is his production talents.

He has tweaked and fiddled with the recording until what we get is a true masters interpretation of what he wanted from his music.

The only way to listen to this is in a quiet room with the lights down low and music up mid to load range.

Enjoy... I of to find a darm room again and listen to this once more.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2007, 13:33

Quote (Teidi @ Sep. 19 2007, 01:46)
It just so happens that a huge amount of MO fans were captured and enamored with the early 90's SODE era, myself included.

I think a lot of the fans that Mike took on board with the release of TB2 were captured and enamored with TSODE but in actual fact TSODE was a real bone of contention amongst fans at the time, a lot of people were divided over it. Certainly in the fanzines from round about that time they were and infact when Gareth Randall interviewed Mike he put it to him that quite a lot of fans weren't happy with it. TSODE like TB2 and TB3 brought Mike a new generation of fans who discovered him through those albums. It would interesting to see if those same predominantly younger fans are the same fans who aren't getting MOTS and are finding it boring. It'll be interesting to see the reaction to it when its actually released, how far its appeal reaches into the mainstream.
Profile PM 
197 replies since Sep. 07 2007, 11:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net