Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres streams< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 14 2007, 09:21

it is wonderful to see all the positive post here :)
I guess this will be a sucsess. It is allready a sucsess before release.. That is a good sign!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 14 2007, 13:27

Quote (3Wheeler @ Sep. 14 2007, 09:01)
Not Having heard the Album Yet!!  How does it Strike People.. A Classic Record in the Traditional Sense.. or A Mike Oldfield Album Played by a Orchestra..!! :cool:

Its definitely the latter. It did strike me the other day when listening to it that in a parallel universe to this one Mike could have arranged and played all of this album using the same instruments as on Tubular Bells and called it Tubular Bells parts 3 and 4. It would have had a much closer atmosphere musically to the original than TB2 did in 1992.

But all that aside it is definitely a MO album played by an orchestra. What surprised me the most when hearing it was how unmistakably it is a MO album. I was worried that it would just sound like Karl Jenkins Adiemus but with acoustic guitars on top. But actually Mike's unique musical footprint is all over MOTS. MOTS also proves to me yet again that Mike is actually generally at his best when other people are closely involved in the realisation of his music. He can concentrate on composing and let others give an outside opinion on to how best make it work.
Profile PM 
Tas Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2007, 14:28

I am thrilled to pieces with what i have heard. Mike has always been so much more mike when it's done with real instruments and i am already getting a good feeling from this already. In my experience you can never get a true feeling from clips especially low quality ones - It can never do anything justice. These clips however do show enough for me to get very excited and more importantly and it's key from Orchestral/Classical scores that it portrays a warm feeling and this has that.

I love Mike's work, and i love Orchestral music - So from what i have heard this should be right up my ally!  :D
Profile PM 
Sentinel101 Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2007, 16:26

With MOTS in heavy rotation (I couldn't resist to download it but I will buy some CDs for me and my family), it still climbs up the ladder of the best MO works. It already has passed TB2, now approaching TSODE. Some melodies are almost unbearably beautiful, this is what the strings in an orchestra were invented for.

This really is a landmark work for Mike as he conquers the classical world with a stunning debut. I really hope this will be as successful as it deserves it.
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2007, 14:32

I find it completely impossible to rank Mike's albums these days... I have my favourites that I listen to more than the others, but to put them in any specific order is impossible. Besides, this being so new album (heck, it's not even out yet :-)) it is easy to get over-enthusiastic and put it on a pedestal just because it is well over your expectations.

However, I have listened to the album more than a dozen times by now, and it is - and will definitely be - among my very favourites even after the newcomer's shine wears out. Classical/Orchestral music in general is right up my alley. I listen to film scores on regular basis, and I couldn't have been happier when I heard that Mike was going to compose an orchestral work. I really do enjoy his electric guitar playing, but for me that has always been secondary. He is first and foremost a composer, and a genius at that as far as I can judge such things, and only after that, to me, he is a musician. What I love in good music is primarily composition and arrangement. Skillful and suitable playing is important, too, but it comes second.

Tres Lunas and  Light + Shade, while I do like many moments in them, seemed to me to be works of a composer not really having the thrive anymore, releasing an album just because it is expected of him. MOTS represents to me Mike's comeback - with it he proves that he still has the inspiration and emotional output shown in e.g. Ommadawn and Amarok.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2007, 15:00

Very odd. I missed the original posting of the links, being away on holiday. I don't want to hear the full pirate version, but I did try to listen to the original 'official'  set of extracts. The first four played OK; the last one didn't. And since then I've been unable to get any of them to play.

Are they still active, those links?
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2007, 15:07

Alan, the last link (Musica Universalis) seems to be still working fine, just like the other four. Maybe it was just a temporary glitch at the server side. The URL for the clip is:

http://del.interoute.com/?id=19e....=stream
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2007, 15:11

Quote (Tubularman @ Sep. 14 2007, 09:21)
I guess this will be a sucsess. It is allready a sucsess before release.. That is a good sign!

It definitely is good to see so many fans are enjoying this album, and why wouldn't they!

I'm beginning to think this "leak" was just Universal's promotion... getting the good word going for the album before the release, with a low quality rip (128kbps), should actually really boost the sales :-)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2007, 17:14

Quote (Mix @ Sep. 15 2007, 20:07)
Alan, the last link (Musica Universalis) seems to be still working fine, just like the other four. Maybe it was just a temporary glitch at the server side. The URL for the clip is:

Thanks for this, but, alas - nothing happens when I click on it. Media Player opens, but just displays an eternal 'connecting to media' message.

Any idea what could be blocking it? (My firewall is set to 'allow' it.)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2007, 17:37

Quote (Alan D @ Sep. 15 2007, 17:14)
Quote (Mix @ Sep. 15 2007, 20:07)

Thanks for this, but, alas - nothing happens when I click on it. Media Player opens, but just displays an eternal 'connecting to media' message.

Any idea what could be blocking it? (My firewall is set to 'allow' it.)

Try emptying your browsers cache and deleting all your history. Sometimes that has a knock on effect to media players too.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 15 2007, 19:04

Quote (Mix @ Sep. 15 2007, 21:11)
Quote (Tubularman @ Sep. 14 2007, 09:21)

It definitely is good to see so many fans are enjoying this album, and why wouldn't they!

I'm beginning to think this "leak" was just Universal's promotion... getting the good word going for the album before the release, with a low quality rip (128kbps), should actually really boost the sales :-)

we never know ;)
But who knows he he
The albums seems to be very very popular. Some means it is even better then TB2!!
As i have said; i love it very much, and it is like listening to a special album. I really hope Mike will do more of this.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Mix Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2007, 19:33

Well, it was about to happen any time now... one of the tracks from MOTS is now in Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJfBvzTOnVk
Profile PM 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2007, 12:09

Obviously someone was impressed by music, but it sad that at least some sort of video was not made (after all, it's youtube which stands for video works).

Has anyone visualized album yet while listening to it?  I find myself enjoying more album when listening to it on speaker phones and of course I get lost then in visions... so I was trying to figure out what is the background - or the story behind - of this music, what is trying to say given the subject of musica universalis subject.  And to me, at least right now, it seems as music - first part - is telling a story of space and how it started from big bang and how things did develop.  I found myself lost in that during The Tempest which first brought a vision of small meteors bombing planets as universe expanded.  Second part the is focused on  how it is now and how it moves (thus on my heart is much slower in reprise).  As all early elements get to be part of end result (instruments/space) I guess soon or later someone might make a movie on that subject using this album. Hell, if I new how to do it I would...

What is your visualization of the album music?  Does mine make sense? :D
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2007, 13:27

yes gbcrvh, your visions make sense. Considering the concept here, they're not surprising. I have "seen" similar things,  also I've imagined myself sitting in a large concert hall, listening and watching a premiere performance, and giving a standing ovation.  :) Right now I'm not visualizing anything, as I'm also writing, but I guess that's not even the "right" way to listen to this album, just as background music.  ;)

edit: Oh and... is it possible to pronounce your nick mr.gbcrvh? I often find Croatian words a bit confusing :p
Profile PM 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2007, 13:45

Quote (Harmono @ Sep. 16 2007, 19:27)
edit: Oh and... is it possible to pronounce your nick mr.gbcrvh? I often find Croatian words a bit confusing :p

Oh, actually that's not my name :D  It just a login id which once was assigned to me by network people in one company in UK (thus those GB while rest is 3+1 combination of full name).  My name is Hrvoje (still confusing, I know), but shortly that would be H.
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2007, 14:03

Quote (gbcrvh @ Sep. 16 2007, 13:45)
My name is Hrvoje (still confusing, I know), but shortly that would be H.

I can say Hrvoje, presumably. :)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2007, 15:39

Quote (TOBY @ Sep. 15 2007, 22:37)
Try emptying your browsers cache and deleting all your history.

Tried that Toby, thanks, but makes no difference.

No matter. Let it remain a mystery.
Profile PM 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2007, 16:37

Alan,

Have you tried it with some other browser than the one you use by default?
Profile PM WEB 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2007, 16:59

Alan,

You can also try to open Media Player, and select "File->Open URL direction" (should be something similar, probably below the option "Open"), then copy & paste one of the following links, and click "Accept" (or "OK", or whatever):

Code Sample
http://del.interoute.com/?id=19eab92d-5595-4c1a-973d-8815de9461e8&delivery=stream

http://wm.interoute.com/{6ffab433-1c7d-4a4a-a9cc-472ebc88c47e}/{08278c44-faeb-48ef-afe1-a1442d7abdd4}/14 Musica Universalis.wma

rtsp://wm.interoute.com/{6ffab433-1c7d-4a4a-a9cc-472ebc88c47e}/{08278c44-faeb-48ef-afe1-a1442d7abdd4}/14 Musica Universalis.wma

mms://wm.interoute.com/{6ffab433-1c7d-4a4a-a9cc-472ebc88c47e}/{08278c44-faeb-48ef-afe1-a1442d7abdd4}/14 Musica Universalis.wma
Profile PM 
Quicksilver Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2007, 18:55

Beautiful, simply beautiful... I want more! :cool:

Thank you Mike, and continue this way please

Greetings from Spain.
Profile PM 
197 replies since Sep. 07 2007, 11:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net