Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the spheres David Bedford< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
emstek1 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 16 2008, 06:08

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello everyone! I am from Germany and I recived the CD yesterday

First of all: The Music of the Spheres sounds to me like the "good old Oldfield" I waited for since Amarok. Now I will sell (or burn... whatever) all the Oldfield CD´s from 1998 to now. Maybe I keep "guitars" becaus it is a interesting thing... but I never realy enjoyed listening to it. The rest of the (sorry!!;) rubbish..: I will get rid of... Music of the spheres is completly differend. Up to now I don´t know if it is only caused by the orchestration, or realy by the music, but it sound´s great!

What do you think... out there... Some parts reminds me of early Bedford works. For exampel "On my heart" sounds a bit like "nurses song with elephants" (bright stars for queen college), the choir of Aurora and Prophecy reminds me of Bedford´s "Riegel 9". other parts sounds a bit like the orchestration of "The killing fields". So I think Oldfield can´t denie the influence of Bedford on his work. Whatever... it is not all completly new, but I like it very, very much...
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2008, 06:36

Hmm - I happen to like "good old Oldfield" and "amazing modern Oldfield" just as much as one another.

I'm sure you can find more like me who would welcome the "rubbish" you are about to get rid of.
Profile PM 
emstek1 Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2008, 11:40

Quote (trcanberra @ Mar. 16 2008, 06:36)
Hmm - I happen to like "good old Oldfield" and "amazing modern Oldfield" just as much as one another.

I'm sure you can find more like me who would welcome the "rubbish" you are about to get rid of.

Sorry.... "rubbish" may be a too strong, hard word (Maybe in english even more than in german...) I just like things like Amarok, Omadawn, The Lake a.s.o. the most... So it is (for me) too differend to for example trees lunas...
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2008, 14:13

Quote (emstek1 @ Mar. 16 2008, 16:40)

Sorry.... "rubbish" may be a too strong, hard word (Maybe in english even more than in german...) I just like things like Amarok, Omadawn, The Lake a.s.o. the most... So it is (for me) too differend to for example trees lunas...

Rubbish is Abfall!   In english that is pretty strong.

Here is a list to help you in future starting with very strong and getting milder. (but avoiding strong swear words)

Abominable
Abysmal
Dreadful
Awful
Rubbish
Pretty Bad
Not so good
Not really very good
Average
Pretty Average
Passable
ok

I think you could get away with 'ok' but nothing stronger when  referring to MO tracks on an MO Web Forum.  (:P)

But anyway, you would need to list what you are throwing away - TB3? TB2, Voyager....

If you throw those away then I suggest you are actually more of a Beethoven fan than an Oldfield Fan.  :D  :D

Ray

Ich spreche ein weinig Deutch, aber ich hab nur von Nene and Die Toten Hosen mine Deutch gelearnt.  :D

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2008, 14:39

Quote (emstek1 @ Mar. 16 2008, 11:40)
Sorry.... "rubbish" may be a too strong, hard word

Even though I disagree with the opinion, as far as I'm concerned, you can call them "rubbish" if you like. It's the "burn" part that I take exception to!!  :(

I'm kidding. Sort of. And welcome to the board, emstek1.

(PS: Ray, what does "abfall" mean?)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Taynie Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 02:23

I have woken up soo excited this morning, I'll be buying my copy of MOTS at Asda !! mm good deal there.

I wonder if M Oldfield has any idea what joy his music gives people. Apart from making brilliant music he takes you through an emotional process and heals. He's a healer and I need some healing this week.

--------------
once these things get going it's jolly hard to stop them again
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 05:22

Quote (emstek1 @ Mar. 16 2008, 11:40)

Hi again - no problems - point taken.

You will find that it is the great variety that Mike is capable of that endears him to many of us.

And welcome to the boards - we have a week to go until MOTS is released in Australia so very interested in hearing opinions of it in the meantime.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 09:19

Quote (emstek1 @ Mar. 16 2008, 12:08)
What do you think... out there... Some parts reminds me of early Bedford works. For exampel "On my heart" sounds a bit like "nurses song with elephants" (bright stars for queen college), the choir of Aurora and Prophecy reminds me of Bedford´s "Riegel 9". other parts sounds a bit like the orchestration of "The killing fields". So I think Oldfield can´t denie the influence of Bedford on his work. Whatever... it is not all completly new, but I like it very, very much...

I haven't heard Nurses Songs with Elephants yet, but I recently received Rigel 9 - liking it a lot, but I can't say it particularly reminded me of MotS (or vice versa). I could perhaps see some similarities with Bedford's Recorder Concerto though. Mmmh... now you got me wondering what MotS would sound like if Bedford had orchestrated it...
Profile PM 
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 10:00

Talking of David Beford - did anybody notice that the wonderful Rime of the Ancient Mariner is in the Amazon classic charts?

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
emstek1 Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 14:04

[quote=Holger,Mar. 17 2008, 09:19][[/quote]
Hi again!!!

I just compared "The City" from David Bedford´s "Riegle 9" and the choir of "Aurora" ... it is (only a few seconds) nearly the same!!!

But both very nice!
Profile PM 
emstek1 Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 14:40

Quote (Ray @ Mar. 16 2008, 14:13)
But anyway, you would need to list what you are throwing away - TB3? TB2, Voyager....

Thank you for your welcome!!

Hi Ray!
FIRST:
I like ALL MO CD´s from 1973 to 1998!!!
Certainly I like TB 2, the same with voyager, TB3 is the last one (1998) I kept.  Trees Lunas, Guitars, Light and S. I never ever liked... It is just not my cup of tee. So I just don´t feel guilty for give them away... (A friend of mine with nearly 1000 Pop Rock CD got them from me... not burning...)
Profile PM 
10 replies since Mar. 16 2008, 06:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net