Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music from THE BALCONY?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Rileman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 20 2005, 15:06

Do you have any idea why MFTB was named Music from the balcony? Why just 'the balcony'? A symbol for something? Maybe a special 'balcony', because it was'nt named Music from a balcony. :)

--------------
It's not easy going where no-one goes, and no-one knows...
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 12 2008, 01:19

Was wondering that myself.  Maybe music that came into his head on a balcony?  Maybe a parade went past at one point  ;)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 12 2008, 18:02

This is purely IMHO, of course. ;)

I think that it's "from the balcony" because it's not 'ordinary' music. A balcony is normally located outside of a house, right? So here the house represents music, and its interior represents 'pop' music or 'ordinary' music... the kind of music you'd hear every day on the radio or from the TV. So, when you are inside the house, you're likely to hear songs like "Heaven's open" or "Make make". But the last piece has a completely different feel from the songs... it has an experimental feel, so it must come from some place that's external to the house, but is still strongly connected to the house itself, because, after all, it's still music. Hence "from the balcony". It's like Mike were saying: "OK, up to now I've played the kind of music that I'd play inside the house. Now I'll play a slightly more off-the-cuff piece: the kind of music that you'd hear coming from the balcony". :D

When Mike recorded Amarok, he had moved (metaphorically, of course) into a much bigger house, and he went in and out of it all the time. And it had a HUGE balcony. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 12 2008, 18:19

Maybe his "balcony" overlooked a boreal environment and he would always see monkeys frolicking.  Noisy bunch, they are.  Wish I was one.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 13 2008, 13:52

As an ex-smoker I know that you spend hours on various balconys these days when smoking isn't allowed indoors in most places.
If the album would have been made today it would propably have been called "Music from across the road" or (more likely) "Music from Spain, Italy or France".

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Dave in Ledbury Offline

Posted: April 15 2008, 17:26

Now I may be wrong, but I thought at one time that The Balcony may have been some kind of lodge used as a base for safaris, you know the kind of thing - a lodge raised above the forest or jungle where the animals can wander about freely at night.   Hence the predominance of monkey sound effects.  As I said, I may be wrong but that's the image or thought it conjures up in my mind. :)

--------------
"Dave, I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over...."
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 16 2008, 05:42

Hi Dave.That's really quite strange.When Heaven's Open came out i really tried to get into it.But everytime i heard Balcony i had almost exactly the same viision as you described.Very odd that others haven't. :/

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 16 2008, 05:52

Quote (Dave in Ledbury @ April 15 2008, 21:26)
...where the animals can wander about freely at night....   .....monkey sound effects....

must be this place!  :p

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 16 2008, 07:50

Possibly not mate.

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: April 16 2008, 10:10

Man descends from monkeys,and waves the trees goodbye.Then eventually after a long period of time, he learns how to construct a balcony so he can get back on top of the blighters again...Music from the outside looking in perhaps!?Or mankind dressed up as monkeys in a musical nod to The Planet Of The Apes was more my kind of take on it...

Marvel in wonder as our intrepid hero reaches the climax of his adventure by discovering a giant decaying Tubular Bell semi-prostate on the shoreline...."You blew it up!...You did it! You damn dirty apes!"
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: April 16 2008, 10:10

Probably from Minstrals balcony - old british houses had them.

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 16 2008, 11:59

I'd go more for Dirk's idea.
Musically the idea of Minstrels balconies put's me in mind of merrie olde englande folky type music (or in Tull's case a dirty great guitar solo from Minstrel In The Gallery-but even that starts as a folk tune).This isn't remotely folky.The bangs sound like thunder or hunter's rifles and come to thing of it it has a very African feel.I do remember an interview when Mike was talking about studio's not needing to be big and that he can set up a portastudio on a.......wait for it.....balcony while he's on holiday.Since Mike loves to travel and goes to some really exotic places and since he always takes a means to record i think we have the answer.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 16 2008, 12:32

@ Dirk Star and Caveman... your idea is pretty much tying in with mine... the balcony as something external to something else. ;) I still think of the two places (inside and outside) as very methaphorical concepts, though, rather than literal ones.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: April 22 2008, 13:10

A Balcony as a state-of-mind.  Hmmm... why not?

Well, it's one piece that divides the fans, that's for sure.  For me (most of the time), the more off the wall MO gets, the longer I stay interested in it.
Profile PM 
13 replies since Mar. 20 2005, 15:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net