both 3  [9.68%]
neither 0  [0.00%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MotS vs. Orchestral TB< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 11:04

Just thought this would make an interesting poll for some reason (though I can already guess the outcome...)
For the record, I voted "both": I feel OTB is stronger in composition, overall, but MotS is stronger in execution.
Profile PM 
Kofola Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 11:48

I voted MotS 'cos it seems to me more mature and melodic.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 13:06

MOTS! No doubt!  :D
The orchestral tb is boring  :O  I never listen to it really...
(except of the last part of part 2) the ambient guitar part.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2008, 07:05

MOTS, MOTS, MOTS, MOTS, MOTS, MOTS, MOTS, MOTS, MOTS, MOTS, MOTS, MOTS... and (did I mention it?) MOTS  :laugh:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2008, 10:06

Yeah - what he said  :p

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2008, 10:22

On this poll - MOTS  4ever  :)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 00:36

Quote (Holger @ Mar. 20 2008, 11:04)
Just thought this would make an interesting poll for some reason (though I can already guess the outcome...)
For the record, I voted "both": I feel OTB is stronger in composition, overall, but MotS is stronger in execution.

I voted MOTS even though it isn't even released here for 2 more days as OTB is (to my ears) a poor performance by a bunch of bored sounding players.  I am also not impressed by its orchestration.  I just can't imagine MOTS suffering the same faults with Mike being more actively involved than he was back in '74.

OTB currently sits bottom of my list of Mike CDs in order of preference, though I still listen occasionally.
Profile PM 
emstek1 Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 04:33

Hello!!

I (up to now) like OTB most. Because it seemed to be more ONE pice of music. It all fits more together I think. And I love the gentle, slow and powerfull arangement of Bedfords trumpets and horns.

(maybe OTB is not MO... as he told us in changeling, but I like it)
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 15:07

I think OTB was a product of the classical recording climate it was made in.  It has always felt "rushed" to me-even thought it may very well not have been so.  I still enjoy it for what it is, but perhaps the way it was performed and produced was simply the style of the times and only with the benefit of 30-odd years hindsight does it now seem a bit plodding and slightly overwrought.  Arranging and producing styles change over the years and if OTB was done today it might sound very different.  Conversely, MOTS would, no doubt, sound different done in 1975.

To me there's quite a difference in the feel between OTB and OHR.  OHR has a great deal more subtlety and delicacy than it's older sibling-like OTB was a trial run.  There are moments on OHR that put a lump in my throat.  Indeed, last night it put tears in my eyes as I was washing up some dishes.

But that may have been because I hate washing dishes.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 02:43

I think the closest thing to it might be Tubular Bells III, there are similar ideas very roughly in the same order: Tubular Bells intro like motif in (Source of) Secrets and Harbinger (Reprise), piano cavalcade in Animus/Prophecy and in Top of the Morning, soprano in On My Heart and The Inner Child, prominent acoustic guitar in Shabda and Serpent Dream, opening "bass riff" in Musica Universalis and in Far Above The Clouds.
I prefer Tubular Bells III, just like the cover it's lighter and even with drum machines more human and alive to my ears than the dead serious Music of the Spheres. Perhaps we could even say that far above the clouds, we find the spheres, and we have yet another Tubular Bells IV theory. ;)
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 06:48

Quote (Olivier @ Mar. 25 2008, 02:43)
I think the closest thing to it might be Tubular Bells III, there are similar ideas very roughly in the same order: Tubular Bells intro like motif in (Source of) Secrets and Harbinger (Reprise), piano cavalcade in Animus/Prophecy and in Top of the Morning, soprano in On My Heart and The Inner Child, prominent acoustic guitar in Shabda and Serpent Dream, opening "bass riff" in Musica Universalis and in Far Above The Clouds.
I prefer Tubular Bells III, just like the cover it's lighter and even with drum machines more human and alive to my ears than the dead serious Music of the Spheres. Perhaps we could even say that far above the clouds, we find the spheres, and we have yet another Tubular Bells IV theory. ;)

Maybe on that basis we can look forward to Mike taking his Tubular Bells theme into the 4th dimension at some point in the future.A kind of Tubular Dementia if you will. :p

I would agree with you there though,there are quite a number of similarities between TB 3 and MOTS.It`s almost as if Mike used the TB 3 album as a kind of musical storyboard for this new one in fact.Imo though I think MOTS is a more fully realised work to my ears.Tracks like Watchful Eye and Moonwatch on TB 3 always kind of pass me by really.And I don`t think I could say that about any of MOTS on the whole.That said I probablly enjoy listening to TB 3 a lot more as well.But that`s probablly more down to the fact that I find a lot of orchestral/classical music deeply boring anyway.On that score alone Mike had a whole big wall of my own musical prejudice to knock down before I could fully appreciate MOTS.So my hat goes off to him there I`ve got to admit.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 10:21

Yes, he always seems to have to put tracks like Watchful Eye and Moonwatch. Even Songs Of Distant Earth, where my favorite parts  (Only Time will Tell, and Ascension) move me as much as my favorites in Ommadawn, have tracks like these. Music of the Spheres tracks are more neutral to me, never a shiver (seems like several people got those with the album though, I'm not lucky here), but never boredom or, dare I say, asking myself "why?" either. It also ranks high on his albums I was instantly gratified with, no effort needed, but yet, there is no many new things I discovered after the first listening. It may sound as a critisicism, but at the same time, there is some purity and simplicity that has some beauty in it, no distorted sounds, no distorded chords or melodies, etc. It's like the perfect music you'd send to the spheres to build a fresh new clean world of music if sphere Earth would explode. It would make more sense to me this would be hist fist album and Tubular Bells his last one. It's like he doesn't want to get old musically, trying to find the purity of a baby.
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: May 23 2009, 17:03

This leaves OTB miles behind in my opinion, and I have only played MOTS twice in the one day I have owned it.

It is such an arresting piece of music that demands repeat plays; whereas OTB is okay once every blue moon.

MOTS has me completely ensorcelled -  so many different anthems & signatures to explore & enjoy culminating in an album that will leave an everlasting impression
Profile PM 
12 replies since Mar. 20 2008, 11:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net