Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MOTS reviewed in current bun, "Tubular Balls"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 14 2008, 07:42

While searching google for some real news about Mike I spotted that The Sun - that illustrious UK source of news, wit and topical comment - has a review of Music of the Spheres! Two and a half stars, they weren't very impressed. I'm just impressed that they managed to spell "pretentious" correctly :p

If you're really desperate, you can read the full review at this link.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 14 2008, 17:31

What a pretencious (heh) review!  :D

I don't mean to be mean to Mr. Jenkins (obviously a very talented person), but the "Adiemus" project would fit the term "pretentious" much better. (Well arranged/produced music, but does not move me much)

Well seriously speaking...isn't a lot of classical music pretentious soulless nonsense. After all there's so much of it. Didn't Mozart already make fun of the cliches so far?

I'm not so familiar with orchestral music cliches. Well the final crescendo of course is already familiar from "Mont St. Michel" and inspired by Sibelius's 5th or-what-was-it. Then there are some obvious elements from Tubular Bells.

"Disconnected" maybe is a fair thing to say. After all it's a work consisting of distinguishable "tracks" so to say, although they flow together in the familiar Oldfield style. It's more disconnected than the "traditional" symphonies, even though they also usually come in 3 or 4 parts the first being the "hook", the second perhaps something more experimental, 3rd maybe variations on the first and then a nice finale as the 4th. (Or something...)

At least it has emotion. That's what counts to me. "Silhouette" and "Harmonia Mundi" especially always have an effect on me.

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
1 replies since Mar. 14 2008, 07:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net