Platinum 4  [12.12%]
Amarok 4  [12.12%]
Light + Shade 8  [24.24%]
Tr3s Lunas 6  [18.18%]
None of these (please specify below) 6  [18.18%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MotS is better than..., Silly (but hopefully harmless) poll< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 14 2008, 14:28

There seems to be a fairly general agreement, here, about Music of the Spheres being a good album. ;) So I'd like to ask you: if you were to compile a chart of your favourite Mike Oldfield albums, which album would you put straight after Music of the Spheres? You don't need to tell me which album (if any) would you put before it, and you also don't need to tell me the placement of other albums in your own personal chart - just tell me the Mike O. album that, in your opinion, comes straight after MotS.
The albums I listed above are the ones which seem to be considered, again according to common opinions of most people here ;), Mike's best ones. If your vote goes to an album which is not on the list, please specify it here.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2008, 14:38

I would say MoTS is better than all the post-Amarok albums but not quite as good any album up to and including discovery. So therefore it's better than TBII. Or something like that...it's kind of complicated really.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 14 2008, 16:12

Nice idea Ugo but I wonder if the presentation should be different? maybe have a poll of "best album since ...." and list his other albums in order? Then again, as lanrstangmark says, it isn't even that simple!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2008, 16:36

Well, I didn't put it as "best album since..." because I thought that people may have different opinions about what are (or have been) the 'high points' and 'low points' of Mike's career, and I'm not sure whether MotS represents a high point for everyone here, or not. :)  To make it less complicated than it seems, try to think of it as a chart, as I said above - i.e. list your favourite M.O. albums, include MotS in the list and then tell me just what album did you put right after MotS. If you think of it in this way, IMHO it becomes much less complicated. :) It doesn't work, of course, if MotS is your least favourite M.O. album, but I seriously doubt that anyone here would endow it with this sort of 'prize'... :D

EDIT: On second thoughts, if it still doesn't work, just answer Matt's question above: "Music of the Spheres is the best Mike Oldfield album since... [put album title here]."

--------------
Profile PM 
zeit Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2008, 21:37

I would say : Music of the Spheres is the best Mike Oldfield
album since M.O.T.S., but don't get me wrong : I mean it's a
very different album than the previous ones, impossible for
me to answer your poll... it's very coherent, fluid and
touching... a huge and amazing score..... very inspired music
it seems.... the lively acoustic instruments are definitively the
sweetest to listen to, we are miles away from the
computerized music and from the production point of view
this is one of the best albums from Mike, personally I think
the best music can be achieved with a symphonic orchestra
providing it's not about classical stuff and I'm very happy
that Mike explores this new territory ... I miss a bit the
electric guitar, just that, but it's really worth the wait...
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2008, 05:41

OK then. MoTS is the best MO album since Discovery. From what I've heard it's better than Amarok, but only just.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2008, 20:39

This is purely subjective, personal to me, but ...##

MoTS is better than..

Guitars, TMB, TL ( despite my love of the games), Incantations, Earth Moving, Heavens Open, and about level with Killing Fields.

But then he may have "tweaked" the final release version, and it may improve with the usual "Mike Many Plays" syndrome.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2008, 17:52

i heard ommadawn and mots after eachother and on the same day a couple of times...and i love both. But I prefer mots.

so it has to be real good!

it's next to TB2, TSODE...yes, but probably it stands at no 3.

TB2003/1 and amarok, TB3, Ommadawn are all very contestants for spot 4.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2008, 18:05

Hey, now wait a minute, Jesse and Andy... are you telling me, by any chance, that you think MotS is one of the best Mike Oldfield albums ever? If it's so, well, I cannot believe what my (somewhat tired) eyes are reading, but I'm very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very pleased about it. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2008, 20:01

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 17 2008, 23:05)
Hey, now wait a minute, Jesse and Andy... are you telling me, by any chance, that you think MotS is one of the best Mike Oldfield albums ever? If it's so, well, I cannot believe what my (somewhat tired) eyes are reading, but I'm very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very pleased about it. :)

Well... in my post I quoted MoTS as being better than 7 albums. Let's see, that makes it worse than, oohhhh, quite a few.

But MoTS is on my car's CD player every day, so I like it.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2008, 08:22

The Millennum Bell,where the orchestrated parts make me  :zzz:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2008, 17:03

Quote (olracUK @ Jan. 18 2008, 02:01)
Well... in my post I quoted MoTS as being better than 7 albums. Let's see, that makes it worse than, oohhhh, quite a few.

Ah, OK. My eyes were definitely tired when I wrote that previous post. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 18 2008, 21:11

Better than Amarok.  At the moment my order of preference is something like this:

Hergest Ridge
Incantations
Ommadawn
Tubular Bells
MOTS
Amarok

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Jesse Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2008, 10:58

one of his best?
yes!

Amarok is great musically but there's never a chance to go indepth into the music itself...it stays on the surface.

Mots is so nice and rich sounding....one of his nicer ones. The only flaw is that there's few standout tunes. because it all is so good
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 20 2008, 12:20

So is this out yet? I still have to grab it....

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2008, 18:52

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Jan. 20 2008, 18:20)
So is this out yet?

Nope. But discussing it here isn't forbidden, as far as I know. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2008, 18:08

MOTS IS BETTER THAN TUBULAR BELLS 3, BUT NOT BETTER THAN HERGEST RIDGE OR PLATINUM!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 23 2008, 21:19

Difficult to say...
better than Tres lunas! Not that i hate Tres lunas, but god how many shivers MOTS gives me. That is the + on MOTS.
Music of the spheres never stops suprising me. Everytime i hear it, some lovely details pleasure me. The album is much/more solid. The cheerful, dramatic, emotional atmosphere really makes this great. Tres lunas dont have that bit at all.. (no harm feelings, :D )
Light and shade (This album is weak, but my god of many lovely songs and melodies. L+S have too much of genres. Trance, ambient, celtic, new age, almost like a best of album.
Because of "Surfing", Tres lunas is the looser :)

About the other albums.. (i dont have MOTS in perfect quality, no cd! ) I wait for the orginal work and lets see what this album really do with me then :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Mark Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2008, 04:10

It's the best reworking of Tubular Bells since the last reworking of Tubular Bells.
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: May 23 2009, 16:57

I haven't voted yet as I haven't really given it enough playtime to justify one at present.

But even at this early stage it is ranks way ahead of anything since TSODE. The orchestral pieces alone, along with the odd nodding glance towards Phillip Glass and even Howard Shore, has really impressed me with Oldfield's new musical direction.
Profile PM 
37 replies since Jan. 14 2008, 14:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net