Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MotS: A glimmer of hope for the future!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
coldsun Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 10:14

Having been an avid Oldfield fan for the last 17 years, and having read his biography, I’ve come to believe that in recent years he became something of a “boy with his toys” musician, making music around the technology.  Problem is, no matter how hi-tech the music is, I’m sure many of you will agree that there’s been something lacking.  The more hi-tech he became, the less his music ‘connected’.  Sure, “Tr3s Lunas” contained some great music, but it still felt like a side-effect of the whole MusicVR project.  However, things are looking up…!

Mike’s first Top 10 album in 10 years is completely deserved.  By concentrating on the actual composition and leaving the arrangement/performance in Karl Jenkins’ capable hands, he’s created the album we all knew he had in him.  In my opinion, his greatest strengths have always been in the role of composer, guitarist and producer – and as that’s all he does on MotS, he effectively played to his strengths.

With the album leaking onto the internet months before the release, it seems to me like it’s been to a beneficial effect.  Think about it – anyone who defected from his fanbase within the last 10 years would be provided with a risk-free way of hearing where Mike’s at today.  For said defectors, it proved that Mike was still capable of releasing an album worthy of their hard-earned cash.  Even if it was downloaded and enjoyed by someone from a classical background, otherwise unacquainted with Mike’s music, they would still want to buy the album as MP3-quality audio does not do justice to classical music.  Never has – never will.  

Although his autobiography stated that he’ll continue to make the music he wants to make, regardless of how well it sells, I hope he realises that a step forward can be made easier by making that step in the right direction.  It’s up to us as fans to guide him (albeit with our wallets) in the right direction.  Quality music sells – and MotS is the proof.

I’m not going to end this post hoping that he doesn’t throw away everything he’s achieved – to do so would be nothing but pessimistic – I’m going to end it in the hope that MotS is the beginning of what could potentially be a renaissance in the quality and public appreciation of Mike’s music.  MotS can do for Mike what TB did for him 35 years ago...

… let’s just hope that this time Punk Rock never rears its ugly head!
Profile PM WEB 
ommadawn,ah!ooh! Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 12:02

coldsun-see my posting in Neil Ardley/Kaleidescope of Rainbows topic re Harmony of the Spheres album from 1978...
Profile PM 
1 replies since Mar. 26 2008, 10:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net