Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Most Embarrassing CD in Your Collection< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 20:12

Quote (The Caveman @ Aug. 28 2008, 09:21)
I have to agree about Earth Moving.I just cannot get into it.Probably why i don't actually own it in any format. :laugh:

Cave, you're magnificent when you're innocent!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 20:15

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 29 2008, 18:24)
Okay... horses for courses, so the following is just what I think...

EARTH MOVING IS A GREAT ALBUM. THE KILLING FIELDS IS CRAP. :D :D :D

Back on topic... as I said, there's no single CD in my collection that I find embarassing. My friends are embarassed when they come to my place and discover my complete CD collection of Zecchino d'Oro [= Italian festival/contest of children's songs, actually sung by children!] sitting right next to my complete collection of One Shot 80s CDs, but they are embarassed. Not me. :D

The strange thing about Earth Moving is that I like it much, much more than Discovery, which, superficially, should really provoke similar reactions, as they're both collections of pop songs.

I really enjoy four of the songs on Discovery: "Holy", "Runaway Son", "Far Country", and "Innocent", and quite like the rest. I also find the cosy unctuousness of "Nothing But" amusing.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2009, 09:11

Lol.Not a word usually associated with me Nightspore.Dare i say Innocent is the only song i sort of like off Earth Moving. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 26 2009, 09:14

The biggest problem I see in Earth Moving is not in the songs themselves, but in the production (plastic and brittle to the point of sickness) and in the godawful singing (that is, pretty much every vocal not done by Maggie, Anita or Adrian Belew). If it weren't for those things, tracks like Hostage and the title track would pass off as unremarkable filler. As it is, those tracks are quite damn embarrassing.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2009, 09:22

Quote (The Caveman @ Aug. 26 2009, 09:11)
Lol.Not a word usually associated with me Nightspore.Dare i say Innocent is the only song i sort of like off Earth Moving. :laugh:

Wot? Not even "Runaway Son"? I always find that a fun song to play in the car; it's as though the singer is trying to outrace that manic priest shooting his mouth off in the background. It sort of inspires one to engage in hoonish behaviour!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2009, 10:32

I prefer his instrumental stuff.Each to their own though. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2009, 11:20

I have an R.E.M. album somewhere. I'm too embarrased to take it to the second hand CD store and I care too much about the environment to throw it in the trash.

Edit:

I almost forgot "Cucumber Castle" by the BeeGees. I meant to buy "Odessa" and ended up with this real clunker. I don't have it in the rack. It's in a box with the "miscelaneous" stuff.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 14:52

Whilst the forum is quite busy on the Media thread - think I'll sneak in another - Justine Timberlake!!
(I seemed to get away with Madonna ok - phew!;)
Justine - My Love

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2009, 20:57

Quote (wiga @ Aug. 27 2009, 14:52)
Whilst the forum is quite busy on the Media thread - think I'll sneak in another - Justine Timberlake!!

I didn't know he had a sister!
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 04:13

Quote (nightspore @ Aug. 28 2009, 01:57)

Makes sense to me....

Justin: 'It feels like something's heating up, can I leave with you?'
Justine: 'I don't know what I'm thinking bout, really leaving with you'

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 04:48

Quote (Matt @ Aug. 28 2009, 04:13)
Quote (nightspore @ Aug. 28 2009, 01:57)

Makes sense to me....

Justin: 'It feels like something's heating up, can I leave with you?'
Justine: 'I don't know what I'm thinking bout, really leaving with you'

Oh buggar! Just when I didn't want to draw attention to myself I go and spell Justin - Justine - (rhymes with Jolene).

Well actually (said defensively) - I'm not embarrassed to like some of Justin's tunes - and I like them dance moves - Yeah, - so - what of it?    :(  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 05:41

Whilst the forum is quite busy on the Media thread - think I'll sneak in another - Justin Timberlake!!
(I seemed to get away with Madonna ok - phew!;)

Actually, I think "My Love" is a great song, as are many others on the album, like "What Goes Around Comes Around."

Sometimes I simply enjoy "feel good" music, without all the thought and seriousness. Honestly, that's what I miss about "Pop" music these days. Sometimes it should just be fun - like a lot of pop music from the 70's & early 80's, (can you tell I'm getting old?) I sometimes think music has become too intellectualized for its own good...

Some of Madonna's tunes (with the help of William Orbit) like "Frozen" and "Time To Say Goodbye" are awesome too!

OK - I said it, lol
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 06:22

Madonna`s Ray Of Light album was superb imo,and she still puts out the odd good single now and again.And I agree pop should be more about fun rather than people over-analysing everything all the time.On the other hand...Maybe if people became less hung up on the whole celebrity thing they might actualy feel a bit more freed up to enjoy the odd chart hit here and there...Britney Spears Toxic anyone???...Aaah please yoursleves..(I did`nt buy it btw,I`m not that liberated for Chrissakes)

Anyway a quick glance up at my cd rack,and I`ve just noticed this thing kinda` staring back at me...  :cool:

Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 06:37

Great comment Dirk!

Thought I'd post my list of secret, cheesy and FUN pop music pleasures:

1.  Popcorn - Hot Butter
2.  I Woke Up In Love This Morning - The Partridge Family
3.  City Of New Orleans - Arlo Guthrie
4.  Run Joey Run - David Geddes
5.  White Horse - Laid Back
6.  You're So Vain - Carly Simon
7.  Mother and Child Reunion - Paul Simon
8.  AEIOU - Eben-Ozn
9.  Perfect Day - Lou Reed
10. Let's All Chant - Michael Zager

The list could go on and on, but these are all Pop songs that I still enjoy...
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 11:05

Alright, I'm getting confident  - we're breaking some taboos. And yes I LIKE a bit of Britney. She's an original - the bees knees ants pants (in these pants). Gimme gimme Mawh, gimme mawh, gimme gimme mawwhh. Great tune.

Gimme More - Britney

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2009, 20:32

I'm surprised that Abba and the Bay City Rollers haven't been mentioned yet. So, fess up: who here "digs the dancing queen"? Or, like me, do you always laugh at that opening glissando that sounds like said DQ going a over t on the dance floor?

You're a sleaze, you turn them off...
See them turning, and then you cough...
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2009, 07:40

Come on! If you people are embarrased to have camp music in your collection there is just one accapteable reason; that you bought it because it was camp in the first place. But that doesn't seem to be the case.
It's 2009 and people are being bullied for *not* having Abba records in the collection. And Betty Boo must be considered more an artifact than an embarrasment. As a matter of fact I googled her just a few weeks ago because I was wondering what became of her. She had an irritating "cute" thing going on image-wise, a bit like that other arch-90-s act Dee-Lite.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2009, 09:04

Quote (larstangmark @ Aug. 29 2009, 07:40)
If you people are embarrased to have camp music in your collection there is just one accapteable reason; that you bought it because it was camp in the first place.

Yeah - what he says :D

The Bay City Rollers were my era - and I couldn't like any of their stuff - though I did try because they were very popular. I didn't like Abba either except only one song, "What's the Name of the Game." I remember liking David Essex, "Rock On and David Cassidy's, "How Can I Be Sure."

I also liked Donna Summer  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 29 2009, 09:12

Quote (nightspore @ Aug. 29 2009, 01:32)
So, fess up: who here "digs the dancing queen"?

/puts hand up high

Me! And "One of us" made it to my top twenty all time favourite singles  :laugh:

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 29 2009, 10:08

I'm gonna be opportunistic and say that reducing ABBA to Dancing Queen is just like reducing Mike Oldfield to Tubular Bells -- the song sure is awesome as hell, but it ends up doing the band a great disservice. :)

All things considered, The Album is a work of art. Eagle is unbelievable, and I don't think any assessment of ABBA that doesn't consider that song will be absolutely empty.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
92 replies since Aug. 01 2008, 02:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net