Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Most Embarrassing CD in Your Collection< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 25 2008, 21:55

Come on, when did the Pet Shop Boys become embarrassing? :) Campy, maybe, but never embarrassing! There's nothing at all embarrassing in delivering such catchy, boppy dance tunes with such biting sarcasm - listen to the cover of Where the Streets Have No Name and tell me I'm wrong!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 26 2008, 04:16

@ Holger: "Requiem" - just a tiny bit, I don't like the choir; "Bad News" - absolutely not. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2008, 06:55

Killing Fields CD Simply reflects the Subject Matter...
Not one I put on every morning to cheer myself up.. But its by no means the worst thing ive ever heard... :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2008, 07:51

Quote (3Wheeler @ Aug. 27 2008, 12:55)
Killing Fields CD Simply reflects the Subject Matter...
Not one I put on every morning to cheer myself up.. But its by no means the worst thing ive ever heard... :cool:

@ 3Wheeler: indeed it reflects the subject matter, but that doesn't stop it to be (IMHO) bad music. And indeed it isn't the worst thing I have ever heard either - I've stated that I think it's the worst music Mike Oldfield has ever recorded. The worst thing I ever heard is "Two Virgins" by John Lennon and Yoko Ono, and strangely enough I have the CD of that. :D But only because of "Remember Love"...

@ Sir M.: extreme and instant catchiness may be embarassing to some people (e.g. shoegazers... ever heard of them?). To me it's not. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2008, 14:40

Hey why is everyone dissing The Killing Fields.Ok i'm joking.I actually like it but I have to be in the mood for it.
 I really can't think of anything really embarrising as such.Maybe a mid period Clapton cd or two.There's a few i've bought and listened to once or twice and given up on though,notably a couple of Steve Hillage's later Virgin cds.I love his earlier stuff to bits.Fish Rising kicks arse,but by the time he got to Open he started to sound a bit tired and For To Next/And Not Or is frankly not terribley good except for the remake of The Golden Vibe/Afterglid.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2008, 14:50

My LP collection is a very different matter though.Oh the skeletons in that particular closet are too embarrasing to reveal even to you guys :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2008, 14:54

No don,t diss THE KILLING FIELDS it,s not that bad,the most embarrasing album is EARTH MOVING now that,s an album that should never have seen daylight :)
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2008, 16:47

is it just me, or is this thing turning into the,,, Which Oldfield album's I hate with reason's, thread.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 27 2008, 16:56

There's an odd, strange, completely bizarre relationship between hating a CD and being embarrassed by it that I can't quite put my finger on...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2008, 09:21

I have to agree about Earth Moving.I just cannot get into it.Probably why i don't actually own it in any format. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2008, 13:27

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Aug. 27 2008, 16:47)
is it just me, or is this thing turning into the,,, Which Oldfield album's I hate with reason's, thread.

I'd hoped to avoid that by putting this in "Other Artists". Eh, C’est la vie! I don't have an opinion on The Killing Fields as I haven't heard it. That, Orchestral Tubular Bells, and Exposed, are the only non-compilation albums I don't have. Going through the music collection, again, I'm thinking perhaps I should add my "Lambada" CD to the 'embarrassing' list?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2008, 14:42

sorry went off thread with Earth moving,but i couldn,t help it j :) Anyway i,ll confess to a Thompson twins album :O [hangs head in shame]
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2008, 18:24

Okay... horses for courses, so the following is just what I think...

EARTH MOVING IS A GREAT ALBUM. THE KILLING FIELDS IS CRAP. :D :D :D

Back on topic... as I said, there's no single CD in my collection that I find embarassing. My friends are embarassed when they come to my place and discover my complete CD collection of Zecchino d'Oro [= Italian festival/contest of children's songs, actually sung by children!] sitting right next to my complete collection of One Shot 80s CDs, but they are embarassed. Not me. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2008, 07:33

Even though I have many CD's I wouldn't want to play to visitors, I can't really say I'm embarrassed about them. I actually made a decisiopn at some point to part with money for them, so must have had a good reason to buy them at some point in the past.

So I must have had a good reason to get "The Simpsons Sing the Blues", "Big Panty Woman" by Barefoot Man, and "Dolly Partons Greatest Hits" amongst others.

It's just that I can't for the life of me remember what the good reason was.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 30 2008, 08:20

Hahaha, OlracUK!

I've been thinking about this one, and I don't have any CDs that I find embarrassing. Some I just don't like anymore, but they're not an embarrassment. Actually, I've not bought any CDs for awhile (MotS being the exception, though also purchased via iTunes)--tend to download everything from iTunes these days.

Once I actually took to a used record shop a CD that had been a gift (Genesis: Invisible Touch) and exchanged it for IQ's The Wake.  What a great album, that! It was a sweet discovery the fall before last to find IQ still going strong with awesome new material! I have a couple CDs by Native American activists that I find myself singing along with that are pretty anti-government/Euro-American and if anyone overheard me would be having a WTF moment. Could be embarrassing.

I ended up with all iTunes purchases of the two youngest kids' on my iPod. My middle daughter is into death metal (think that's what you call it) -- Cradle of Filth, Slipnot-- stuff like that--and the youngest is into pop/hip hop/rap. When I have the iPod on "shuffle songs" and can't get to it to advance it (I tend to attach the thing to speakers and also broadcast through radio) I may present the appearance of someone actually liking that stuff. Now that's embarrassing.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2008, 13:48

The Killing Fields in the context of the film is a VERY good sound track, but without the visuals, apart from a few tracks, it just dose not stand up, i quite like it, but when i watched the film the other evening it made soooo much more sense.

as for cringe worthy CD's i made a few rash purchase's in the 90's, which for some reason i still have, i have managed to cash in on my poor choices by selling some of them on good ole Ebay, so i'm glad that there are still people out there that make me feel better about buying crap cd's! lol

i was a bit of a dance music freak back then, and had some 2unlimited stuff............... i know iknow! but they are gone now!

not that i have to justify myself (OK maybe a little!;) i generaly bought the vast array of these CD's because the mixes were generally ALOT better than the actual chart track.
nowdays i prefer more intelligent stuff like Overseer, Crystal Method etc, who knows maybe one day they may be deemed  embarrassing!  :cool:

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2008, 13:25

Could possibly be UKs Entry for Next Years Eurovision song Contest  which if the rumours are correct, is to be Written by Andrew Lloyd Webber......   Will have to Obtain this CD as its got potential for being a "Most Embarassing" Cd Contender :p

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2008, 15:24

Well, I'm not embarrassed by them, but some folks would probably be embarrassed on my behalf...

How about:

The Nolans
The Dooleys
Boney M
Bucks Fizz
Barry Manilow
The Kids From Fame TV Soundtrack
Xanadu Soundtrack (one of my favourites actually)

What can I say - I just love 80s cheese  :p

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: July 27 2009, 07:25

This is an interesting thread!

I'm actually not embarrassed by anything in my CD collection, even the "worst" ones are entertaining, sometimes for a good laugh at the right times.

A person's music collection reflects their journey through life, even if the "whole" may not make sense... My own journey, (which I treasure!;) goes something like this, starting in 1969 (when I was 10) and continuing now:

The Partridge Family > David Bowie > Mike Oldfield > Moody Blues > Kraftwerk > Al Stewart > ELO > Pink Floyd > Jean Michel Jarre > Tangerine Dream > Klaus Schulze > Amanda Lear (and lots of 80's "electronic disco", lol.) > YMO > Kitaro > Leonard Cohen > Pet Shop Boys... (and too many others to list!;)

My lifetime "staples" continue to be Oldfield, Tangerine Dream and Jarre.

The oddest CD in my collection is "Rainbow" by Bobby Callender. Back in college, my (then) future wife pulled the LP out of a trash bin in the Art building and gave it to me. It's one of those records where some of the songs are so bad they're actually good, or at least, sinfully fun! (think: "Speak, Though You Only Say Farewell" from MO.) She still cringes when I play this CD but thankfully, my son loves it and understands why I cherish it...
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2009, 14:07

Madonna is great :D  I don't like all her stuff but quite a few tracks, and there's a lot of good dance remixes of hers around. Particularly like her tracks with string arrangements - "Frozen", "Jump", "Like a Prayer", "Die Another Day","Don't Tell Me"...

Don't Tell Me

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
92 replies since Aug. 01 2008, 02:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net