Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Most Embarrassing CD in Your Collection< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
raven4x4x Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 03 2008, 02:25

I too Googled the Snack Attack cover. It's like "Super Size Me" meets "Plan 9 from Outer Space".

I don't really have any embarrassing albums in my collection, except the Pokemon album I listened to as a kid. I could nominate the Pet Shop Boys' 'Very', but I like it, damnit!! :D

One more thing: I find it embarrassing that I had to look up how to spell 'embarrassing'.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2008, 02:37

Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 03 2008, 00:33)
Released in the UK as "Ismism", that cover was not as cool. MO enthusists probably would like Godley and Creme especially "Freeze Frame".

Yes, I was quite a big Godley and Creme fan at one stage. Their lyrics are so dry and droll that it's possible to listen to what they write purely for the humour. "Get Well Soon" and "Mug Shots" were among my favourites. Who else would have thought to write the following couplet (it misses by one syllable from scanning properly, but whatever):

Going up like the corners of Dali's moustache
Going down like United in the Munich Air Crash

(Sorry for that last line, Inkanta!;)
Profile PM 
ettlz Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2008, 15:34

Vanessa-Mae The Violin Player. :/ Don't know if that's actually embarrassing or just plain bad.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2008, 01:16

Quote (raven4x4x @ Aug. 03 2008, 02:25)
I find it embarrassing that I had to look up how to spell 'embarrassing'.

That's one of those words I'm always uncertain about - wondering if there's one or two 'r's and 's's??

Ettlz, I'm unfamiliar with Vanessa Mae's recordings. Is it the performance or the material you dislike?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
ettlz Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2008, 06:51

Quote (Sweetpea @ Aug. 08 2008, 01:16)
Ettlz, I'm unfamiliar with Vanessa Mae's recordings. Is it the performance or the material you dislike?

Oh, the performance is faultless. It's just that the album's material is so... well, bland. A combination of jazz standards and stuff written/arranged/crossed over by Batt.

I find Easy Listening to be most exhausting stuff.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Aug. 24 2008, 07:32

This is easiest which album to pick.

Light & Shade from our own Mike Oldfield!

Actually I was so embarrassed after I bought it, that after some listenings, I throw it out..
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2008, 08:07

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ Aug. 24 2008, 09:32)
Light & Shade from our own Mike Oldfield!

Actually I was so embarrassed after I bought it, that after some listenings, I throw it out..

Throwing bad CDs out rules  :laugh:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2008, 08:45

Quote (The Caveman @ Aug. 01 2008, 16:35)
Bit like confession.Bless me father for i have sinned.....i have a wombles lp in my record collection.I don't know where it comes from or why it's there.It's been in there for years and since i'm a terrible horder i can't seem to bring myself to get rid of it.
I also have a 45 of house of the rising sun that dates back to when i was learning guitar.Like a lot of guitar players this was the first song i learned to play so my sister went out and bought me a copy.I actually really dislike the song (or at least the Animals version)but i didn't have the heart to tell her that i was only playing it to please the guy that was teaching me a bit.I was much more into playing like Eric Clapton.

I love The Animals vertion of House Of The Rising Sun, trying to get that picking pattern on my guitar, but I can't seem to do it. I love  Alan Price's organ solo :cool:  :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2008, 09:07

Quote (Dirk Star @ Aug. 01 2008, 08:43)
In The Lounge with Andy Williams is probably right up there for me.No way I`m selling it though love it to bits.My problem is I`ve got all my wife`s albums stuck up on the shelves here as well.All kind of mixed in alphabeticaly unfortunatly so friends can have a field day when they`re looking through them.So anyway we`ve got Rick Astley,Wham,Wet Wet Wet,Duran Duran etc etc..Oh and we did have a Culture Club album but luckily the dog ate it,along with Who`s Next unfortunatly...Only one of those albums has since been replaced I might add..."We don`t get fooled again..oh no"!

Rick Astley NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  I think some of my friends were into Rick Astley at school, I don't know how Never Gonna Give you Up was a UK no.1 and how it remained there for so many weeks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki....0s_(UK)
I can't understand what did anyone see in Rick Astley   :O  

I have some  of my albums and 45's from the 80's.  I know my Mum did embarrass me when she said to my then husband about my enthusiasm for Howard Jones, still have Humans Lib album and some 45's in my collection, I have his "What Is Love" song on my Myspace page, along with more rocky stuff.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.c....0164687    
Feel free to add me as a friend, I had to set up a new ID and   my page to private , due to some hassle .

I did feel that when I told my boyfriend about my 80's songs I was about to loose my credibility as a "Rock Chick" , but apparently not. Anyone who can play Keith Emerson's  "Karn Evil 9" on keyboards is worthy of my utmost respect :cool: . In 2001 Howard toured as Part of Ringo Starr's all Stars, with Howard on piano and Greg Lake on bass.

Apparently I've just got news from my boyfriend that Emerson Lake and Palmer are talking about a possible reunion in '09   :cool:  :)  :D , that's the best news I've heard all day, week , month, year.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2008, 19:14

I don't think that I'm embarassed of any of the CDs I bought, because every single CD I buy, I do it for a reason. And whatever the reason was in the precise moment I bought a certain CD, it was most certainly one that I should've been ashamed of at the time, and certainly it isn't one I should be ashamed of now. :D

However, there is one CD I regret having bought...

MIKE OLDFIELD'S "THE KILLING FIELDS" SOUNDTRACK.

Yes, I do hate that CD. I have it, but I never play it. If it wasn't for the fact that it includes Pran's Theme, Good News and Étude, it would be worth absolutely nothing of nothing. IMHO. I would have very much preferred to spend 200 euros on a CD-single including only those three songs, to spending 20 euros to get a whole album of pure musical crap (always IMHO)... except, of course, for those three tracks. :D

However, there's no effing way I'm selling that CD or throwing it away or anything. I'm a completist. :p

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2008, 20:05

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 24 2008, 19:14)
I don't think that I'm embarassed of any of the CDs I bought, because every single CD I buy, I do it for a reason.

Well said, Ugo - why should anyone be ashamed of buying something that s/he likes?

Yes, I do hate that CD. I have it, but I never play it. If it wasn't for the fact that it includes Pran's Theme, Good News and Étude, it would be worth absolutely nothing of nothing. IMHO. I would have very much preferred to spend 200 euros on a CD-single including only those three songs, to spending 20 euros to get a whole album of pure musical crap (always IMHO)... except, of course, for those three tracks. :D

Presumably the music sounds better in the context of the film, which I haven't seen. That seems to be behind Arthur Clarke's endorsement of it, for one. "Etude" is definitely the standout piece, in my opinion; and I like Taurus II-ish pseudo-glass-harmonica effect.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 24 2008, 21:57

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Aug. 24 2008, 09:07)
Rick Astley NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  I think some of my friends were into Rick Astley at school, I don't know how Never Gonna Give you Up was a UK no.1 and how it remained there for so many weeks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki....0s_(UK)
I can't understand what did anyone see in Rick Astley   :O  

You pretty much RickRolled the forum there. :D

But, yeah, well, he does have a cool voice, and Never Gonna Give You Up is sickeningly catchy. Ah, yes, and the video is hilarious.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2008, 08:44

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Aug. 24 2008, 08:45)
I love The Animals vertion of House Of The Rising Sun, trying to get that picking pattern on my guitar, but I can't seem to do it. I love  Alan Price's organ solo :cool:  :)  :D .

Alan Price can Sing a bit 2...  Check out "Metropolian Man" album... Always liked the songs on that.. Mama Divine, Papers, Sweet P etc... :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
ekloef Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2008, 12:52

I am not very proud of my Michael Bolton Collection...

--------------
https://www.instagram.com/robtch/
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2008, 13:34

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 25 2008, 01:14)

Wow, that's harsh. I love the album - but you know that already. :)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 25 2008, 14:58

I didn't know about Ugo's nourished hatred for The Killing Fields. Ain't it great to spew that venom from time to time? :)

Okay, I'll take off my shell and open myself: I have not one, but two Céline Dion CDs. Yes, I got them when I was, what, 15, but that's hardly any excuse.

(I won't deny It's All Coming Back to Me Now is brilliant, but, ah, if only she didn't take it so seriously...! )

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2008, 15:50

@ Sir M.: I don't hate the film - indeed I like it quite a lot. I hate the soundtrack album. I think it's one of the worst soundtracks ever. And of course, I think it's the worst thing that Mike Oldfield has ever done. Okay, it's not entirely his fault. :D

@ Holger: yes, I know that it's a harsh judgement, which is unusual for me, but the fact is that I bought TKF just for completion's sake - i.e. to have all of M.O.'s albums. It's the only CD in my collection of 2500+ items that I never play - at all. I burned a mini-CD out of those three tracks, I called it "Excerpts from TKF" and it's the only music I play (not too regularily) from that CD.

@ nightspore: I don't think the music to TKF sounds good within the context of the film. I think it sounds horrible both within the film and on the album.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2008, 17:54

You don't even like Requiem For A City and Bad News?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2008, 18:44

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 24 2008, 21:14)

Yes, I do hate that CD. I have it, but I never play it. If it wasn't for the fact that it includes Pran's Theme, Good News and Étude, it would be worth absolutely nothing of nothing.

I don't even have,since I don't like it...only Evacuation and an 8-second melody on Pran's Theme(which is one of Mike's best melodies ever - which also appears on other track) are worth for me to listen,but not to have the CD.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2008, 20:15

Quote (raven4x4x @ Aug. 02 2008, 17:25)
I could nominate the Pet Shop Boys' 'Very', but I like it, damnit!! :D

One more thing: I find it embarrassing that I had to look up how to spell 'embarrassing'.

Ha ha, I relate to both these comments. I am embarrassed to say I own 'Very' AND 'Alternative'. And another cd I am now embarrassed by is James Blunts Back to Bedlam.

These are all cds I asked for for birthdays because I didn't like them enough to pay for them myself.

And I had a bad habit of using double letters when I shouldn't, like hopping to see you etc. so even now, I still think twice before writing the word embarrassing. Is it double R or double S, it's both! Another word I have great difficulty with is a band called the Disocciatives, I mean the Dissociatives.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
92 replies since Aug. 01 2008, 02:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net