Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 4 [5] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Most Embarrassing CD in Your Collection< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dirk Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 29 2009, 10:13

Quote (larstangmark @ Aug. 29 2009, 12:40)
Come on! If you people are embarrased to have camp music in your collection there is just one accapteable reason; that you bought it because it was camp in the first place. But that doesn't seem to be the case.
It's 2009 and people are being bullied for *not* having Abba records in the collection. And Betty Boo must be considered more an artifact than an embarrasment. As a matter of fact I googled her just a few weeks ago because I was wondering what became of her. She had an irritating "cute" thing going on image-wise, a bit like that other arch-90-s act Dee-Lite.

Yeah Betty Boo/Alison Clarkson was a little bit "ironic" I guess, kind of a cartoon pop star almost.I`ve always had a kind of a soft spot for that sort of tongue in cheek two dimensional persona if you like.ABC used to be great for that,and even went through a kind of "cartoon phase" themselves.Haysi Fantayzee is another one that springs to mind for me.Strawberry Switchblade as well.Yeah there should be way more cartoon pop music around imo.The Pipettes are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head from more recent times,which is a bit of a shame I think.I don`t know if that`s down to a lack of imagination or some people taking themselves way too seriously.I suspect it`s a combination of both.Although I also suspect some more recent pop stars are probably lacking that little bit extra something to make themselves two-dimensional.

Frank Sidebottom!..Now there was a pop star.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2009, 13:56

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Aug. 29 2009, 10:08)
I'm gonna be opportunistic and say that reducing ABBA to Dancing Queen is just like reducing Mike Oldfield to Tubular Bells -- the song sure is awesome as hell, but it ends up doing the band a great disservice. :)

All things considered, The Album is a work of art. Eagle is unbelievable, and I don't think any assessment of ABBA that doesn't consider that song will be absolutely empty.

Absolutely - you can be as opportunist as you like when it's your birthday - Happy Birthday Mustapha :)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 29 2009, 22:29

Quote (wiga @ Aug. 29 2009, 13:56)
All things considered, The Album is a work of art. Eagle is unbelievable, and I don't think any assessment of ABBA that doesn't consider that song will be absolutely empty.[/quote]
Absolutely - you can be as opportunist as you like when it's your birthday - Happy Birthday Mustapha :)

Thank you, man! :) The latest days have been sort of troublesome, but fortunately I was able to have a quite wonderful day today in honour of my birthday, so count me happy. Thanks a lot!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2009, 23:26

Happy Birthday Musty.

Embarrassing, mmmmmm

Pet Shop Boys.

Club Ibiza.

Cafe Del Mar.

Assorted Israeli singers given to me as gifts.

Kylie Minogue.

But in my defence, I did not buy any of the above mentioned cds, they just happen to be in my collection.

One I DID buy and sounds like I should be embarrassed by but I'm not.

Lift your skinny fists like antennas to Heaven
by God Speed you Black Emperor.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2009, 23:33

Quote (wiga @ Aug. 25 2009, 05:07)
Madonna is great :D  I don't like all her stuff but quite a few tracks, and there's a lot of good dance remixes of hers around. Particularly like her tracks with string arrangements - "Frozen", "Jump", "Like a Prayer", "Die Another Day","Don't Tell Me"...

Don't Tell Me

That's my favourite Madonna track, I also like 'Like a Prayer' and 'Human Nature'. But I still think she does not sing that well.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2009, 23:54

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 29 2009, 23:26)
One I DID buy and sounds like I should be embarrassed by but I'm not.

Lift your skinny fists like antennas to Heaven
by God Speed you Black Emperor.

Not sure that should be embarrassed. Weird title and band name aside, that's considered as a "paragon" of what the kids today call "Post rock". I think I have heard that album only once: that band is sort of difficult to swallow, but I know I should keep on trying.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2010, 08:52

For me its a generic James Bond rip of album.
It only contains Incidental music from the movies (No tittle tracks) but it does have a decent version of "Underneath the Mango Tree".
And I hate to admit this but I did by the single of R.EM's loosing my religion what was I thinking  :/
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2010, 09:17

One embarrassing record I have is Richard Harris's His Greatest Performances. I bought it because I liked Macarthur Park. The rest of the album, however, is syrupy middle of the road, with one other exception: "The Yard Went on Forever". The lyrics are surrealistic and hilarious, addressed to sprinklers, ironing boards, volcanoes, etc. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W33WmvW4OPA
Profile PM 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2010, 22:33

Had a bit of a dig and found one of Acker Bilks albums, dont know how that got there!... my Dad must of put it there.  :D
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2010, 07:04

Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 28 2010, 09:17)
One embarrassing record I have is Richard Harris's His Greatest Performances. I bought it because I liked Macarthur Park.

I don't consider that at all embarassing.  That's a cool album to have, if only for Macarthur Park.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2010, 09:21

Quote (familyjules @ Sep. 29 2010, 07:04)
Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 28 2010, 09:17)
One embarrassing record I have is Richard Harris's His Greatest Performances. I bought it because I liked Macarthur Park.

I don't consider that at all embarassing.  That's a cool album to have, if only for Macarthur Park.

Jules

I agree, but the other tracks (except "The Yard Went on Forever") certainly create an embarrassment simulation situation (as Monty Python put it, in the well-known hilarious sketch about winkles and vibraphones).
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2010, 09:23

Quote (Michael Hilton @ Sep. 28 2010, 22:33)
Had a bit of a dig and found one of Acker Bilks albums, dont know how that got there!... my Dad must of put it there.  :D

I find Acker Bilk boring rather than embarrassing. I nearly didn't listen to Mozart's marvelous clarinet concerto because I had been so put off the instrument by Mr Bilk's tiresome playing.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2010, 03:20

:) Stranger on the Shore always reminds me of my lovely Polish grandad.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
92 replies since Aug. 01 2008, 02:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 4 [5] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net