[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MO's Most underrated Album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 15 2005, 19:36

Quote (Guest @ April 15 2005, 13:47)
Hello to all,  only just stumbled upon this topic and would like to comment re:hergest ridge.My grandmother was very ill in hospital when I first began listening to this composition.Sadly,she didnt survive and I continued to play H.R  over and over as I attempted to accept the situation. I can honestly say that,in my opinion and also given the fact that I only had a tape to hear the music by that this is a wonderful peice of work.  Although it helped me through so much my emotional state of mind at that point in time did not mar my critical judgement and at present time I still enjoy listening to it and to this day would love to be able to go this beautiful place in reality if someone could tell me exactly where it is?    will force son to get in car and drive!

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandmother Tansy.

I've been sent some photos of Hergest Ridge by a friend :) ,I imagine that it's  a very spiritual place . I'm visiting there with a friend in July, staying at "The Beacon" too   :) .  I intend to play the album Hergest Ridge, whilst sitting on top of the Ridge   :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: April 20 2005, 12:48

I have decided to give out a very public thankyou to the two board members who gave response to my first comment here.Being a new visitor to this site it made me feel welcomed ect,ect.  re:H.R.  :)
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: April 20 2005, 14:56

To tansy and monnchilhippy
I've been to Hergest Ridge three times now. It is a beautiful place even if you are not a fan of 'that' piece of music. The second time I went, I had just found out that I was expecting our first child. So it meant a lot to me to be there. I listened on headphones to the beautiful music and felt wonderful. And my son, who is now 12, is a very calm and easy going sort of person, I adore him. And the last time I went I took my three boys and watched them run free as I listened again. It meant the world to me, and they had a great time too. I could imagine Mike flying his model gliders there all those years ago.
It's a beautiful, interesting and unspoilt part of the English/Welsh Border steeped in ancient history . I urge you to go but do take big boots and a big drink of water to refresh you after quite a climb either way you go. Hope you enjoy it...(hergest Croft Gardens was also worth a visit, if it's still there, they had a small exhibition of sculptures which were interesting)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 20 2005, 15:34

Quote (tansy @ April 20 2005, 17:48)
Being a new visitor to this site it made me feel welcomed ect,ect.  re:H.R.

It's certainly no hardship to talk about walking Hergest Ridge, so you're more than welcome.

So - will you go? As bee says, and as moonchildhippy will soon discover - it's worth it! Another tip is to be prepared for all weathers! Last time I was there, I had brilliant sunshine, high wind, and sudden showers of sleet all within the space of a couple of hours. Fantastic cloudscapes. The views are so superb that you can see the showers coming at you for some time before they arrive.

Tell you what, though - I found it a really hard place to photograph. In fact I don't believe I have any photos worth showing at all. The place just can't be reduced to a simple view in a 7 by 5 rectangle, it seems. Has anyone else succeeded? bee?
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 20 2005, 18:02

Quote (bee @ April 20 2005, 19:56)
To tansy and monnchilhippy
I've been to Hergest Ridge three times now. It is a beautiful place even if you are not a fan of 'that' piece of music. The second time I went, I had just found out that I was expecting our first child. So it meant a lot to me to be there. I listened on headphones to the beautiful music and felt wonderful. And my son, who is now 12, is a very calm and easy going sort of person, I adore him. And the last time I went I took my three boys and watched them run free as I listened again. It meant the world to me, and they had a great time too. I could imagine Mike flying his model gliders there all those years ago.
It's a beautiful, interesting and unspoilt part of the English/Welsh Border steeped in ancient history . I urge you to go but do take big boots and a big drink of water to refresh you after quite a climb either way you go. Hope you enjoy it...(hergest Croft Gardens was also worth a visit, if it's still there, they had a small exhibition of sculptures which were interesting)

To  Bee,

I've never had kids, unfortunately, my husband did have testicular cancer, it's cured now , but I don't know whether, his fertility is likely to return. He has MS too now, so I don't think I'd want another person too look after, still I have a beautiful niece and two nephews I'm also "Auntie" to a friends daughters, which is fine by me.

I'm looking forward to visiting Hergest Ridge in July. I've seen some photos, it looks amazing, that made my mind up I just HAVE to go!!  I feel drawn to the area.
I won't ever be a mum, I don't think I could fully appreciate what it meant to you, being there, knowing that you're expecting your first baby.   That must be fantastic seeing your sons running free    :) . It's great sometimes just to sit and watch kids play, Takes me back   :) .   I too could picture Mike flying his model gliders on The Ridge.  As I'm staying with a friend at the Beacon, I too can look at the view Mike would have seen when he lived there  :) .  Hopefully there'll be mostly clear days :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: April 20 2005, 18:26

To Moonchildhippy

I am truly sorry if, by my last post, I caused you any sad feelings. Hergest Ridge is beautiful, really beautiful at any stage in your life - and whatever your circumstances. When you go, lift up your face to the sun and just breathe in it's serenity. It is sure to move you.

My best wishes to you and your husband.

bee :)

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 20 2005, 21:20

Quote (bee @ April 20 2005, 23:26)
To Moonchildhippy

I am truly sorry if, by my last post, I caused you any sad feelings. Hergest Ridge is beautiful, really beautiful at any stage in your life - and whatever your circumstances. When you go, lift up your face to the sun and just breathe in it's serenity. It is sure to move you.

My best wishes to you and your husband.

bee :)

Don't worry Bee,

It wasn't your post that caused bad feelings.  I'm quite happy not
being a mum, but am more than happy to be an Auntie   :) , whether by blood or "adopted".    Hergest Ridge looks a beautiful place,  even without (as yet) going there  :) . I do intend to lift my face up to the sun and  breathe in the air.   Hergest Ridge is a very spiritual place,  Ifeel I can sense it, without havingbeen there
 :), but that's soon to CHANGE, as I'm going in July     :D .

BTW feel free to send an e-mail or PM, if you so wish

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 21 2005, 11:50

I've been asked to post a message on behalf of new member "Tansy" .  Tansy has only posted one message since joining Tubular.net.  From my communication with Tansy, she is a very strong , capable person :), with many constructive things to say.
So please bear with Tansy if it takes her a while to contribute further posts to this board.  I'm sure you'll all join me and  help welcome Tansy, as a member of Tubular.net.  Don't worry Tansy  it took me a while to summon the courage to join and add my first post.

I've been playing Hergest Ridge, over and over again recently, helps me focus my thoughts    :) .   I can't wait to see Hergest Ridge in the earth as so to speak :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 21 2005, 16:51

Just post, Tansy. Say what you think. We want to know. By the time you reach 10 posts you won't even think about thinking about worrying about it.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 22 2005, 20:38

True words spoken Alan, you don't think about it after a while.
Tansy you have NOTHING to loose, by making post No2 .  Since I first posted in December I have made many new friends   :D .  It would be great if I get the opportunity to meet up :) with some of them.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 25 2005, 13:17

Quote (Ratty @ April 07 2005, 23:26)
Hergest Ridge.. Ah yes, best played on your own in a dimly lit room with a beer or two!!! Just let the emotion of this piece carry you away, why the debate about it? Just listen to the music, you wont hear anything as mellow as this from anybody!!! The only album by Mike to bring tears to my eyes!!!!

Well said Ratty :D , but I do disagree on one point I feel Hergest Ridge is best played whilst on Hergest Ridge itself, or at least on one of the surrounding hills overlooking The Ridge itself :) OK I know this is difficult to do unless your'e in the Kington area at the time you're playing HR  .   Now if I play HR in the car or on a portable player at a local beauty spot  it  just isn't the same, as playing it on The Ridge. Such a amazing freedom.   If anyone hasn't seen Hergest Ridge for themselves I thoroughly reccommend a visit, you won't be dissapointed      :D .  The beauty of a sunset over The Ridge, whilst playing HR did bring tears to my eyes, so wonderfully moving    :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: July 26 2005, 18:47

It's been good to hear of your trip to Hergest Ridge Moonchildhippy as I know you were looking forward to it so much. It has made me keen to go again. And to Alan D referring to your post, about photographs of the Ridge, I do have some.  If I was a little more organised I might be able to find them!! (I have moved house and they are probably packed away somewhere still) I do agree with you about photographing the landscape too. My photographs were a bit disappointing. It was obvious where they were taken but I had not managed to capture that sense of distance and remoteness. One way of achieving that probably would have been to have a figure in the landscape but that did not seem right to me, not there. The music is just too raw, for want of a better word. Maybe it's a spiritual plce and should be recalled only in the memory or through the music?

Just have to go back.

It was an amusing visit, once I went with my husband who is into cycling in a big way. I was getting carried away with the emotion of it all complete with CD player & headphones and every so often he'd shoot past on this orange mountain bike shouting "it's great over here!" or "you have just got to come and see this bit" full of enthusiasm but for different reasons!! And it was so wet everywhere....hours of fun!!

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
51 replies since July 13 2002, 07:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net