Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: !)More popular tham Eminem: Bob The Builder!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 19 2005, 09:02

Now try telling me about taking music seriously and all that...!

Would you know. I recently read bits about Bob The Builder's popularity in the UK, and I was particularly delighted at how the "Can You Fix It" single shot to #1 and knocked an Eminem single off the top spot. And anything that beats Eminem deserves my respect ( ;) ), so I thought I should give it a try.

I listened to bits of his album on some Internet website, and I was quite disgruntled at the thought of the theme tune of the show being transformed into a dancey track with breakbeats and all, and that cover of "Mambo no. 5". In theory, that's a memorable "WTF?" moment in history. Still, I thought I'd give the album a try, and I can't help loving it. And I mean loving it for real. It's infectious, stimulating and really fun. When "Mambo no. 5" came up, I couldn't stop snickering! (I couldn't laugh out loud, I was working! ) I probably like it better than the Lou Bega cover that originated it. Those frantic electronic work really well in this context. They're just not what I expected from a Bob The Builder album, but I was just wrong. This CD is a real party. If the lyrics were in Portuguese, I'd definitely play it for my niece.

Reading the Amazon reviews was weird, too. The reviewer started talking about how Bob's voice "changed" to a British accent for no reason, and some of the North-American costumers were quite disappointed (and some extremely upset! ) with it. But I actually like the British voices more, and this CD is a real blast. I'm definitely going to review this.

I dunno, maybe I have a special liking for this music. But anyway, it's a really fun listen, and I like it more than Tubular Bells III (*annoy* *annoy* ;) ).

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Chicular Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 19 2005, 11:02

You've just lost all credibility!
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: April 20 2005, 19:05

Sir M,
Bob ranks right up there with "the simpsons sing the Blues".

Having young children gave me the excuse to play it lots, but I still sneak it onto my mp3 list.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 20 2005, 20:23

Isn't it strange how we can find music we love where we least expect it? I'm currently listening to a CD I burnt of the soundtrack to Sim City 3000, one of my favourite computer games and definately one of my favourite game soundtracks. I certainly never expected it to become one of my favourite albums, but it did. Perhaps that wasn't a totally relevant point, but it does illustrate that we can find music we love in the most enexpected places.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 22 2005, 10:53

Nice to hear that, Olrac! I'm not sure if I have the same sense of "attachment" for it as I have for The Simpsons Sing The Blues, but Bob The Builder's album is every bit as good as The Simpsons' debut. To me, it's the ideal album for playing to the kids, since grown-ups and parents can also have fun with it. I don't have many kids to play this album to, so I listen to it myself during work. :) And it's a real wonder that a "novelty" record made for children can be so wildly enjoyable and friendly for adults. So many other albums, as well as TV shows, for children, are made specifically for children and children only, and overexposure can send grown-ups running away screaming in despair. You know, I don't want to hate Barney, for example, but that's a real challenge sometimes. Bob The Builder goes completely against that: it has no fear in sounding modern, it doesn't speak a specific "children's language", and so it gives parents and children the same amount of fun.

As for game music: I haven't played SimCiry3000 too much, but I remember the music was good. Chrono Trigger has some really brilliant music, but everyone knows that already. :D

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 23 2008, 10:26

The Spongebob Squarepants album Best Day Ever is an absolute belter I`m not ashamed to admit.Some great lyrical moments on there as well that would certainly appeal to adults no question.The amount of oceanic puns and sea shanty cliches that are segwayed into the Mr Krabs tack Fishing For Money for instance would put Andy Partridge to shame.It`s also a kind of concept album based around the Spongebob band appearing on a sixties style radio phone-in show.That effortlessly delivers a whole bunch of musical styles from The Beach Boys to Broadway.Check out these reviews on Amazon,what can I say?It`s a bloomin` masterpiece.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 23 2008, 10:53

I'll admit to the soundtrack to "Thomas and the Magic Railroad". Some fantastic stuff on that such as "I know how the moon must feel". Cheesy of course but that's my tastes :p

And the Thomas theme tune itself is one of those few pieces of music that, even though it is memorable and distinctive, I have a *real* hard time repeating from memory. I have heard it many more times that I would like to count but the chord changes are still not the easiest for me to figure out!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 23 2008, 16:34

Quote (Matt @ June 23 2008, 12:53)
I'll admit to the soundtrack to "Thomas and the Magic Railroad". Some fantastic stuff on that such as "I know how the moon must feel". Cheesy of course but that's my tastes :p

And the Thomas theme tune itself is one of those few pieces of music that, even though it is memorable and distinctive, I have a *real* hard time repeating from memory. I have heard it many more times that I would like to count but the chord changes are still not the easiest for me to figure out!

I remember that Mike used to watch Thomas The Tank Engine with Jake...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: June 23 2008, 17:06

If you think for one second that I'd admit to buying Barbie Girl by Aqua you're wrong.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2008, 11:23

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 19 2005, 13:02)
Now try telling me about taking music seriously and all that...!

Would you know. I recently read bits about Bob The Builder's popularity in the UK, and I was particularly delighted at how the "Can You Fix It" single shot to #1 and knocked an Eminem single off the top spot. And anything that beats Eminem deserves my respect ( ;) ), so I thought I should give it a try.

I dunno, maybe I have a special liking for this music. But anyway, it's a really fun listen, and I like it more than Tubular Bells III (*annoy* *annoy* ;) ).

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Just found this thread and I'm ROTFL. I vave to agree with Chicular there Sir M!!!!

I gather that Bob The Builder knoked Eninem off the No.1 spot as it was coming up to Christmas, I know I had a young nephew at the time, and I think I was visiting my then in laws, Christmas Eve that year, and my mother in law was singing "Can We Fix It" to my nephew, and I got very fed up of hearing it. These songs always seem to be released in the run up to Christmas.  I know it knocked Eninem's "Stan"  off the top.  I'm  generally not into Rap music on the whole, generally you could put a c in front  or the word rap, but I like it where it's crossed with Rock  as in Run DMC's and Aerosmith's "Walk This Way". About Eminen I do like his music, I often find it releases anger in a positive way.  I know that Stan often has me in tears, as it's such an emotional song, if you listen to the lyrics
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BWgEcOLYzXU.

I don't think Eminem takes himelf too seriously as can be seen in the video to "The Real Slim Shady
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=99HdRxlJzV4

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
9 replies since April 19 2005, 09:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net