Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Moonlight Shadow< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Fox Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 07 2000, 14:25

Does anyone know of the significance to the lyrics to Moonlight Shadow?

What do they mean, they're a bit confusing as to what's happening.
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 07 2000, 16:28

Good question! The video suggests it's about a duel (and some zombie magic stuff?), but that doesn't seem to fit with the lyrics, does it?
Well, I just found one site: http://www.triumvirat.net/palmer/interview.htm
-Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
rosko Offline

Posted: June 08 2000, 06:18

I remember reading in an interview with Mike that the lyrics aren't really about anything in particular. A commonly held view is that the song is about the death of John Lennon (there is a slight resemblance with the lyrics) and I think Mike said that it might have influenced his lyrics subconciously (I doubt I spelt that right).
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 09 2000, 16:57

Mike said in an interview that he had based it on a movie about Houdini. I don't know the movie title anymore, but it's in on of the many interviews here on this site!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: April 17 2001, 03:14

Does anybody know where you can see the Moonlight Shadow video? I'm writing something which features a reference to the song and I want to know as much as I can about it! smile

M
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 17 2001, 16:28

The video is included on both the 'Elements' and 'The Wind Chimes' videos. TWC is out of production, but I believe you can still buy Elements in well stocked shops...If not, you should be able to find copies for sale in online auctions. They're both from Virgin.

If you're not the type to let things such as copyright get in your way, of course, you may find some places with it online...oldfield.dk used to have it, but since having certain technical difficulties, it's no longer there. You could try emailing the webmaster there to see if you can get a copy from him though. Elements did also get uploaded onto an ftp site somewhere recently...I don't know exactly where that was, or if it is still available there, but maybe someone else will...

While I'm here, the lyrics thing...I've also seen Mike say it's not about anything in particular. He had the backing track recorded and was due to have Maggie Reilly in to lay down the vocals, but still didn't have any lyrics. With just a few hours to spare, he started writing them. I believe he said something about being in New York at the time John Lennon was murdered, and wanting to bring the same atmosphere to the song, and there was something about Houdini as well (something tells me it was about how people acted when he dies, or something like that, but I don;t remember exactly).
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: June 22 2002, 23:36

I have no idea what they mean. They bring to my mind images of some big fantasy battle, sort of like the ones in Lord of the Rings. It's probably that 'trees that whisper in the evening' bit, that sounds very Tolkein-ish. It's not a very cheerful song is it? There's definatley a murder in it, and definately late at night (4 am?). I'm never very good at figuring out what things mean.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Ecco Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2003, 17:33

There may be a clue in the extended version. If you don't have the extended version of "Moonlight Shadow", try downloading it and then listening to it with headphones. There is something at the very brief at the end of the fadeout, so you really have to crank it up there. ;)

--------------
http://www.myspace.com/twilighttide
Profile PM WEB 
PICTURES IN THE DARK Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2003, 15:20

What is it, Ecco??? I have the extended version, but I haven't heard anything strange, apart from the extra-verse:
The last time ever she'd see him
Carried away by a moonlight shadow
The crowd got across to ... him
Caught in the middle of a hundred and five
The night was heavy and the air was alive
But she couldn't find how to push through...

Please, tell us... or give us a clue. Don't leave us this way.  ;)
Profile PM 
X11 Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2004, 03:22

Its about the death of John Lennon, if I cant sleep tonight, ill see what meaning I can derive from them, blah, blah, blah.

--------------
HTTP://X11.ROCKS.IT - my site.
Profile PM WEB 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2004, 05:48

hi
Can anyone please write down the cords for moonlight shadow

please please quick

TYJ
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2004, 06:38

found the chords elseware
Profile PM 
Ecco Offline

Posted: May 30 2004, 17:37

[QUOTE]What is it, Ecco??? I have the extended version, but I haven't heard anything strange, apart from the extra-verse:
The last time ever she'd see him
The crowd got across to ... him
Caught in the middle of a hundred and five
The night was heavy and the air was alive
But she couldn't find how to push through...

Please, tell us... or give us a clue. Don't leave us this way.  

Hello, sorry for the veeery long delay in responding..
You can hear  what sounds like a very excited  (as in stressed)  radio or TV news person break in  before the audio completly fades and it sounds like the words "John Len..."

Regarding the lyrics, the line you quoted above is actually "the crowd gathered just to leave (or grieve) him -either one can apply to the moments and days that followed...

In the video there are "signs" .  One that is especially  noteworthy is the appearance of an owl ,  three or four times. There is an old legend that if  one sees or hears an owl  for three or four consecutive evenings, then someone will be passing on soon.
(there were threats and other signs in the months leading up to Lennons passing)
The occult motif  in the video also supports the idea that 'Shadow' was at least partially about the  Lennon  assasination.  John and  Yoko frequently  sought the advice of readers and astrologers.
Considering that Mike was a few blocks away that horrible night,
I  find it doubtful that he would'nt write a song about the  tradgedy.  
No you ghave me wondering about the lyrics in Crises. The bit about there being a "breach in security".
Hope this was helpful.

--------------
http://www.myspace.com/twilighttide
Profile PM WEB 
Sora Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2005, 05:48

I've studied many times MS lyrics, but I never found an answer able to satify my doubts... But I've always felt a sort of sadness in its words... I never thought about a possible link with Lennon's death! :O If it's so, now the lyrics have their meanings... above all extended version that I like in special way...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2005, 17:19

I've also heard something about them being vaguely inspired, as Korgscrew said above, by Houdini's death.

Another (possible) connection is the 1800s Elizabeth Jane duel story, but I think that this latter one relates more to Crime of Passion than to MS. :) In the video there indeed is a scene resembling a duel.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sora Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2005, 03:51

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 06 2005, 17:19)
I've also heard something about them being vaguely inspired, as Korgscrew said above, by Houdini's death.

Another (possible) connection is the 1800s Elizabeth Jane duel story, but I think that this latter one relates more to Crime of Passion than to MS. :) In the video there indeed is a scene resembling a duel.

Yes, there's a scene of a duel (also a bit scary :P) but I don't think is linkable to Elizabeth Jane duel story... in my opinion that scene is only to fill video :P
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2005, 08:49

The occult motif certainly fits the Houdini situation, in which he was to try to contact his wife through a seance if he ever died. (Houdini himself was fascinated by seances, and spent a lot of time busting fake set-up ones, which just about all of them were).

However, the whole "shot six times" thing appears to have nothing at all to do with the circumstances of Houdini's death (appendicitis). There's a Kate Bush song about Houdini, by the way (and this one has absolutely no doubts about content and meanings).

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2005, 08:56

Quote (Ecco @ May 30 2004, 17:37)
No you ghave me wondering about the lyrics in Crises. The bit about there being a "breach in security".
Hope this was helpful.

I suppose someone could work something out about the "Watcher and the Tower" lyrics being about the 9-11 WTC attack.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 07 2005, 10:09

Mike on John Lennon and Houdini, from an interview with Gareth Randall:

Is Moonlight Shadow really a reference to John Lennon's murder?

"Not really... well, perhaps, when I look back on it, maybe it was. I actually arrived in New York that awful evening when he was shot and I was staying at the Virgin Records house in Perry Street, which was just a few blocks down the road from the Dakota Building where it happened, so it probably sank into my subconscious. It was originally inspired by a film I loved - 'Houdini', starring Tony Curtis, which was about attempts to contact Houdini after he'd died, through spiritualism... it was originally a song influenced by that, but a lot of other things must have crept in there without me realising it."
Profile PM 
18 replies since June 07 2000, 14:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net