Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Moonlight Shadow - Trance Version< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 10 2008, 08:42

At my Taekwondo class tonight a trance version of "Moonlight Shadow" was playing. Does anyone know who it's by?
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: July 10 2008, 15:11

I hope it wasn't this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5YqorFOp_4
On the other hand maybe it can make a MO fan so angry that he kicks some serious butt.

edit: Yes, that's not really trance, I know. Some euro something.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 10 2008, 23:21

Quote (Harmono @ July 10 2008, 15:11)
I hope it wasn't this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5YqorFOp_4
On the other hand maybe it can make a MO fan so angry that he kicks some serious butt.

edit: Yes, that's not really trance, I know. Some euro something.

Ha ha, I was wondering why my side kicks developed greater force while I was listening to it! I'm not sure if it was this one... parts of it are fairly trancy... I don't mind the version, although I think that's probably due to the fact that it's impossible to ruin a genuinely appealing song.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 11 2008, 09:28

Eurodance detected - some eurodance tunes has got this "trance" element,but it's not 100% (european)trance.

BTW,there's a trance version for To France,ha ha  :laugh:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: July 12 2008, 02:46

I guess that even though that 'dance' version is pretty rubbish (in my humble opinion) it's good that a MO song gets covered and gets more exposure.

I used to have a 'dance mat' game (Dancing Stage) for my games console and it had an uptempo dance version of Moonlight Shadow that I actually enjoyed dancing to when playing the game. From a muscial point of view it was garbage but it was fun.

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 12 2008, 04:22

What particular aspect of the version did you dislike most, Ginger? I imagine many people would be annoyed by the fact that the lyrics were sung very quickly, as though they were meaningless.
Profile PM 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 11:02

Quote (nightspore @ July 12 2008, 04:22)
What particular aspect of the version did you dislike most, Ginger? I imagine many people would be annoyed by the fact that the lyrics were sung very quickly, as though they were meaningless.

I'm a great believer in the words and music going well together and for my ears the 'Groove' version just jars.

Part of it is the speed - it just seems to keep moving relentlessly on with no thought to the emotion of the lyrics.

I don't dislike this style of music, I just dislike the cover of Moonlight Shadow.

I still think it's good for Mike that his music is still considered 'valid' to be covered in another style.

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 19:32

I think that this version, by E-Rotic, is slightly better. But I can perfectly understand people's adversion to this particular song being done in the Dance/Eurodance/Trance (or whatever! :D) style. Especially if they're Mike Oldfield fans. :p

@ nightspore: is this it?

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 20:12

Ugo, yes, I'm pretty sure this is it. Actually, I'm going to expose myself to universal contempt by saying that I think this is a terrific version of the song! I'm quite fond of trance anyway (probably its manic character matches my personality; it's certainly good to do TKD to!;), and one of my wishes is that Mike would do a joyous trance record, rather than the melancholy one that Shade is. I'm sure he'd do a brilliant job of it.

I know what Ginger is saying, and I do agree... but I think the song is so much about the feeling of unreality that murder creates that the speeded-up words in a way add to and augment that unreality.

Thanks for posting it, Ugo. I've saved myself a copy with my trusty Camtasia screen recorder!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 15 2008, 07:53

@ nightspore, if you like this, I may send you the mp3, which I have. PM me... ;) And if you like E-Rotic, some of their other stuff is definitely worth cheking out IMHO. They did various original song full of sexual allusions :O, but they are also successful (and known) for their covers. Among other things, they did an album of ABBA covers called "Thank You for the Music" which I think it's excellent.

P.S. I never did Taekwondo, I don't like fighting sports. A long, long time ago I did some fencing, but that was it. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 15 2008, 08:51

Thanks Ugo; I have done so. Have any of Mike's other songs been trancified? The songs on Discovery, for example, aren't my favourites - I wonder what they'd sound like done this way.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 15 2008, 08:54

Eurodance Mike Oldfield? Come on, it could be worse.

Way worse.

It could be LazyTown.

"It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake! / And if the way is hazy / You gotta do the cooking by the book--"

KILL

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 15 2008, 09:07

@ nightspore: there is a version of Family Man by Prezioso, and a version of a theme from Taurus 2 by Gigi D'Agostino, but they're horrible. IMHO. :D

@ Fernie (Sir M.) What is Lazy Town? And what does the Sigur Rós line in your (current) signature mean?

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 15 2008, 10:00

Quote (Ugo @ July 15 2008, 09:07)
@ Fernie (Sir M.) What is Lazy Town?

You're lucky if you don't know. :) But in short term, it's a quite eccentric kids show with some of the most annoying, ear-wormy Eurodance tunes you could ever encounter on such TV show.

And what does the Sigur Rós line in your (current) signature mean?

"Glósóli" stands for something like "Glowing sun", or like another website has it, "Glowing soul"; so the line stands for "And here you are / Glowing soul". I don't think I've ever had a signature with a personal significance before, but, well, there ya go.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 15 2008, 20:25

Quote (Ugo @ July 15 2008, 09:07)
@ nightspore: there is a version of Family Man by Prezioso,

That's interesting, as "Family Man" has the unusual distinction of being a MO piece that I actually dislike intensely. On the one hand, I suspect I could hardly dislike the Prezioso version any more, but on the other hand you probably can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 16 2008, 10:11

Well, I do quite like Family Man in itself, it's a nice poppy tune (IMHO), and Five Miles Out is one of my favorite albums out of Mike's "Eighties Pop" period. :cool: But I think that Prezioso's cover missed the point completely. It's just plainly horrible. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
15 replies since July 10 2008, 08:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net