Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MO-unrelated pronounciation question< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 30 2001, 16:54

For all of you French-speaking people out there: How do you pronounce the surname of Camille Saint-Saëns? And does Saint-Saëns mean anything? confused

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2001, 23:08

I'm not French, but I, and some others, pronounce "Saint-Saëns" as "Son-Son" (that's how it sounds anyway (Son like in Sondela, not like in Father and Son), and is probably simplified a bit). And it's also probably wrong wink.

-Tim-

I'd use phonetics, but I can't be sure of using the right symbols.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 10 2001, 14:37

I'd have said it more like 'sant say-en' (something roughly along those lines). I'd think it was the name of a saint (a bit like you get Bridget St John and so on), but I'd not know whether there's an English equivalent or not...
Profile PM 
dgcaer Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2001, 10:40

I talk french and I have to say that I don't know how to pronounce that.

"Camille" is OK and "Saint" too, but "Saëns" is problematic.

If i follow the logic, I think that we can say something like "Sa-insse". The phonetic is "Sa˜es" (with the ˜ above the e)

Kamij s˜e-sa˜es

You have to know phonetic to read that ! Not very easy.
Profile PM WEB 
dgcaer Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2001, 10:43

The system is not friendly for the special caracters.

The "e" is not "e" but a "3" inverted.
Profile PM WEB 
dgcaer Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2001, 10:58

The surname Saint-Saëns is like other surname in french, Saint-Pierre, Saint-Armand, etc. Also like many many many small city in France and in Quebec. Saint-Paul, Sainte-Chloé, Saint-Laurent, Saint-Louis, Sainte-Bernadette, Saint-Gabriel, etc. etc etc.

The equivalent in espagnol is San, Santa, Santo (like San Francisco)and in English, Sant. You have equivalent in other language.

Saëns was surely an historic person who was canonised.

Not more than that.
Profile PM WEB 
Hillbilly Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2001, 11:19

Kamij s˜e-sa˜es

I just looked up Saint-Saëns in an encyclopedia (Swedish) and the pronounciation is given as [s~es~a:s], that is like French "saint sans" with the final s pronounced.
In fact, this is what I guessed but without the "s" in the end. Obviously the trema symbol (¨) isn't always used the way it's meant to...
Profile PM 
dgcaer Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2001, 12:46

Hillbilly, your encyclopedia is surely better than me. The french language isn't easy with is millions of grammar exceptions. A french cannot spell all the french word!!!
As you say, the trema here is not pronounced. So why is it there? Probably because this name come from another language.

So the phonetic is Kamij s~es~a:s (the "e" should be a "3" inverted too)

Question : What is the function of the ":" in the pronounciation ? I don't understand his function if we have to say "saint-sans".
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 12 2001, 15:42

I'm French and pronounce it "sensans" (without pronouncing the 'n' in 'sen'). So far, I've never wondered if it was right or not, because I always heard it like that (but I didn't heard it a lot).
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2001, 17:34

Thanx everyone. wink smile

dgcaer: don't worry about that phonetics thing. I studied phonetics at the university. smile

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2001, 18:00

P.S. My Treccani (Italian) encyclopedia says Se~ Sãns [the first ~ is of course supposed to be over the E... smile]. I was somewhat foolish not to look in there before starting this whole topic... redface rolleyes

--------------
Profile PM 
ChiRho Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2001, 06:31

Camille Saint Saëns was racked with pains,
When people addressed him as "Saint Saynes"

(clue - for non-English-first-lanugage-speakers, this little ditty rhymes)

The Saint is a standard French Saint, and the Saëns is almost identical to "sans", so it might be "sahn sohn" as it were

HTH (or HTBONHW)
--XP
http://www.chirho.i12.com/

--------------
<P>Mr. ChiRho
Email to chirho@mine.nu.almost (guess what drops)
Visit ChiRho Network Central [URL=http://www.chirho.i12.com/]http://www.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Check the forums (topic suggestions still welcome[URL=http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/]http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Profile PM WEB 
11 replies since Oct. 30 2001, 16:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net