Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MO + BELL SYMBOL 4, what might it stand 4 (for?)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
0+1(I1) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 26 2011, 22:54

Dear Readers,

I would like to put forward some ideas about the design of the bell.  Much of what I write may be somewhat alien to the commonly held beliefs by some, who think that it is just a shape with no meaning or thought gone into it's design other than as piece of artistry, where as I think it may have deSIGN & maybe deep meaning.

First let me guide you to this interview with Mike, in which he says this:
There are things hard to explain. The symbol of the bells is one of them.
 The interview can be read in full here:- http://tubular.net/article....history

Well obviously in the title of this topic I have alluded to the bell design being a 4 in shape, if one was to stand it upright on 1 of it's legs.  We may well see this if Tubular Bells 4 ever arrives & find out that this is so.  On the TB albums to date instead of this type of numeral we have seen on TBII (2) & TBIII(3) that Roman numerals were used which would lead us to expect TBIV (NOT 4).

The bell in it's design may well signify a 4 on this some here have speculated & not just I but others before me\us on this forum and elsewhere have proposed that this could be so.  If we consider this a possibility then it is also worth thinking about why a four?  What could lead Mike into wanting to use a 4 for his design as an emblem for his music.

A simple answer could be that if he had left it upright every one would have said "where is TB one, two & three?" had he placed a 4 on his first album TB.  Further more people would have pestered him with "why four?" & we know how he hates to be asked the "WHY" questions, so I guess we will have to ask ourselves WHY might it be this and what might it signify as a sign 4 us.  [Readers who's first language is not English who are translating this should understand that the number 4 or "four" as written in letters sounds exactly the same as the word "FOR" in spoken English.]

(UNFINISHED POST!!! this post is to be continued, so readers please note I will continue to edit this over the next few days with updates before responding to your replies or questions)

--------------
L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2011, 12:02

Quote (0 @ 1(I1)+Sep. 27 2011, 03:54)
Dear Readers,

... I married him..... :zzz:

You know what - I've had enough of all these threads on symbolism and hidden meanings. It makes Mike Oldfield out to be some bloody weirdo!!

@ I1 - you need to pick up on the social cues round here that these projections of yours are making folk uncomfortable. Lets stick with the music and what's real.  

And rumour has it still that you and Nightspore are one and the same. Might be best if you both clear this up with us here - once and for all.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2011, 12:10

I wonder why I don't understand anything when you post something....
:/

For example, what does this mean?

L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
14al Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2011, 12:45

You know what - I've had enough of all these threads on symbolism and hidden meanings. It makes Mike Oldfield out to be some bloody weirdo!!

I agree, it's time to stop this. :(

For example, what does this mean?

Aarghhh, don't ask you fool . :p

And rumour has it still that you and Nightspore are one and the same. Might be best if you both clear this up with us here - once and for all.

Interesting. An admin could find that out. :cool:

I have learned how to use quotes. Pretty need.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 27 2011, 16:19

You know I was saving this for the I say, I say thread.

Thanks for getting back to me Mike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDBen1TZcsE

Symbols in rock/pop music generally mean One thing "Marketing"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2011, 04:28

:laugh:  Was he cross with you for pretending to be him in the tublarian of the year video, Milamber?  :D
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2011, 06:39

Nightspore - we're waiting - are you I1?

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2011, 08:31

Hi Wiga, no, I'm not.  :)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2011, 08:32

I think the moderators and admins should interfere in this. When it was just me calling troll on I1, he came up saying that I wasn't constructive, yadda yadda yadda, and even pulled out a 2-years-old post of mine to accuse me of dishonesty. I think it's becoming clear to more people that this I1 is up to no good in here, and this requires more decisive actions. It's inadmissable that a single user should create so much controversy, misunderstanding and irritation in such a short amount of time, and with such troll-like attitudes and posts. No decent forum should have to put up with shit like that.

I've been saying this for weeks already: I1 is a troll who's trying exclusively to disrupt the forum and start a fight.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 28 2011, 08:50

My own opinion I hope was clear from my comments in other topics:
here
I'd prefer not to delete the topic, it has some interesting ideas and comments in it. I1, I'm glad you are going to try and use less of the weird text formatting, the forum guidelines state that the forum is "English language" to try and make posts accessible to as many people as possible and the encoding you were using wasn't helping you get your message across at all.  SirM, if I1 is trying to get his views across in a reasonable manner and sticks to this one topic to do it then I don't reckon that counts as trolling and he does now seem to be trying to respond to some of the points raised? Suggest you both just let the "troll" comment thing drop and see if this topic can remain civilised.

later in the same topic topic:
I do stick by my earlier note on page two of this topic. English is the forum language, not "MAg!C c@dES" please. I also feel it would be best, since the people who think this stuff has any merit seem to be small in number, if these discussions about possible additional meanings in Mikes works be kept to as few topics as possible. Maybe a new single topic just for these ideas that others can avoid if they think it is just nonsense rather than the continual resurrection of multiple existing topics.

here
I1, I have never supported your views. I support your right to post about your views so long as you stay within forum guidelines. I support the right of other forum members to dispute and refute your views so long as they stay within forum guidelines. In particular, please stop resurrecting so many old forum topics with the same point again and again. If you wish to link to may old topics create *one* topic too discuss and then link them from your *one* topic. Your current actions count in my view as being disruptive to the forums.

I1 - raising Sir M's old posts to discuss trolling after I had asked you both to just get over the "troll" comment was entirely unhelpful. I ask again for personal attacks to stop.

I don't have a problem with someone having unusual ideas, I do have a problem with them seeming to dominate the forum at every turn. I1, if you wish to keep posting this "secret code" stuff, I think you are going to have to stick to one topic to do it so that other forum users who aren't interested in these ideas don't have them dominating the forums in the way they have recently.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 28 2011, 10:07

I agree with Matt. I didn't say much because I'm pretty good at ignoring stuff, but if you can no longer ignore it as it is the case right now, it's a problem. Sorry for folks who don't have my ignoring abilities and had to endure this, I guess I didn't do my admin job very well.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2011, 10:30

I've had a quite fair share of admin duties, and I know it can be pretty troublesome and complicated to make certain decisions -- it can be very hard to balance liberty and order, even in a simple Internet discussion board. So I have no complaints about the attitude of the administration. I was just worried that this could result in a harsh flamewar.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2011, 15:41

Ugo and Sir M have been a target of this troll, that's plain to see.

And Wiga is right , all this symbol talk makes Mike look like a weirdo.

Glad you boys are stepping in.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2011, 17:44

If Mike is a guy who supposedly hides all of this symbolism into his music, then what should poor old Michael Cretu a.k.a. Enigma do? :D And what's worse, he and Mike did collaborate!!! :laugh:

P.S. @ nightspore: why don't you reply to me any longer? Did my innuendo about you being I1 get you cross? If that's the reason, well, I'm very sorry.

Back on topic, I'd say that the Bent Bell is no symbol at all and it has no connection to the number four. Why do I say this? Simple: its shape is not Mike's idea. It's Trevor Key's. :) Also, you may have noticed how reluctant Mike is to release a TBIV. Maybe that's why he DOESN'T want the Bent Bell to be viewed as a four. :p

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2011, 19:42

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 28 2011, 17:44)
P.S. @ nightspore: why don't you reply to me any longer? Did my innuendo about you being I1 get you cross? If that's the reason, well, I'm very sorry.

A lot has happened, Ugo. I don't think I've had any recent messages from you, though.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2011, 01:11

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 28 2011, 22:44)
Back on topic, I'd say that the Bent Bell is no symbol at all and it has no connection to the number four. Why do I say this? Simple: its shape is not Mike's idea. It's Trevor Key's. :)

Yes, and this emphasis on symbols is misleading and misrepresents everything Mike was/is about  When he made Tubular Bells he saw music as his ONLY form of self expression. He immersed himself completely in the music ... that was his language - his channel to pour out his heart and soul, and what gave Tubular Bells it's potency. The written word, symbols or the verbal were not his medium - he was not a writer or a talker.

And the bent bell for the album cover was an afterthought.

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2011, 01:16

Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 28 2011, 13:31)
Hi Wiga, no, I'm not.  :)

Okay. You have said you're I1's Skype friend - right.

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2011, 01:26

Quote (Olivier @ Sep. 28 2011, 15:07)
Sorry for folks who don't have my ignoring abilities and had to endure this

I could do with going on one of those 'Ignoring Endurance' courses!

I'd reached my threshold and was up t' bloody tree ready to kick off.  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2011, 02:12

Quote (wiga @ Sep. 29 2011, 17:11)
Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 28 2011, 22:44)
Back on topic, I'd say that the Bent Bell is no symbol at all and it has no connection to the number four. Why do I say this? Simple: its shape is not Mike's idea. It's Trevor Key's. :)

Yes, and this emphasis on symbols is misleading and misrepresents everything Mike was/is about  When he made Tubular Bells he saw music as his ONLY form of self expression. He immersed himself completely in the music ... that was his language - his channel to pour out his heart and soul, and what gave Tubular Bells it's potency. The written word, symbols or the verbal were not his medium - he was not a writer or a talker.

And the bent bell for the album cover was an afterthought.

Again well said Wiga...and Ugo.

I was waiting for someone to pipe up that the bent Bell was Mr Keys work and not Mikes.

You know folks this forum has taken a beating in recent times, It's time for some healing I think.

And it would be great if a few who have left us were to return.

Lets get back to the MUSIC......And try to play nice. :)

That is until I take the p*ss out of you all at the next awards :laugh:  :laugh:
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2011, 02:30

Quote (Milamber @ Sep. 27 2011, 21:19)
Thanks for getting back to me Mike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDBen1TZcsE

And good job bringing Mike on here to ground us!

Milamber - YOU are a 'channel' for parody - and you are channelling really well.   :D

--------------
Profile PM 
29 replies since Sep. 26 2011, 22:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net