Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MO and the use of the bluesscale ..or not..< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
onion Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 28 2007, 14:00

Sorry if this is written elsewhere (didn´t find it)

I´ve read a long time ago, that MO was complaining about people (other musicians) only played by the bluesscale.....I´m not a musician...so which other scales are there  and what do MO play??
As I understand it, the bluescale is fairly easy to play with only few notes? and does MO use a very complex (variation) of scale(s)?

regards

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2007, 20:36

hi, well I think he propably meant that using blues scales and playing blues and jazz and using standard jazzy/bluesy  chord progressions makes music sound too familiar, maybe even boring and not original enough. Using a blues scale often gives the music a very distinct feel.

There are many types of scales. Most common scales are the basic minor and major scales used in most western music, Mike uses them most often. Sometimes he uses the harmonic minor scale(Serpentent dream, Inner Child, bits from Amarok etc.) and others. I think Mike's use of scales is nothing unusual in music, Mike's strength is somewhere else.                                                                   Further  analysis anyone!...

love your nick mr.Onion   ;)
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: April 02 2007, 14:02

If you're curious, you can take a look here.
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: April 05 2007, 12:55

I think he was complaining more about the way the scales are played than about the usage of the scale in itself (in fact since the blues scale has a special note that is not part of the major scale, this scale is not used that often). Standard blues or rock playing is more about doing licks and riffs that sound cliché (like bends) than using a particular scale  imo.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2008, 03:29

Quick comment about an old topic.Try playing Conflict from QE2.The first riff is in the good old blues scale :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
4 replies since Mar. 28 2007, 14:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net