Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MILLENIUM BELL, verdict< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Coleman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 12 2004, 03:12

I am interested to know peoples views on the Millenium Bell release. Millenium Bell seemed to attract a few criticts. However I believe quite a few of the tracks were stunning/  beautiful pieces. I am not sure that the travel through history quite worked but it was certainly different and  imaginative...I love it!
Your views appreciated. Favourite track from this record?
Profile PM 
amarokian Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2005, 05:16

A great album,whatever critics say.An incredibile journey from the beggining to the end.

--------------
These posts are hazardous to the health of cloth-eared nincompoops.If you suffer from this condition after you read my posts,consult your doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
lordlucan Offline

Posted: May 04 2005, 14:41

I can't listen to this album at all, I think it's the worst thing Oldfield ever did.  Well, apart from the shit he did with Jon Anderson, that is.  But seriously, Millenium Bell is simply atrocious.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: May 04 2005, 14:54

I could'nt agree less.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 04 2005, 15:09

Well, it has kitsch value...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 04 2005, 15:37

It has Lake Constance, which alone is worth the price of the album, for me.

For the rest: I continue to be intrigued by the projection outwards of issues which are often only subjective, i.e. so often 'I do not like this music' is transformed into 'This music is bad'.  Why is that?
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: May 04 2005, 16:31

I get around it by translating "the music is bad" back to 'I do not like this music" and deal with it that way. It makes it easier.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: May 04 2005, 17:18

I dont get the negative vibes people feel about this album. I dont think there is a poor track on this album, as opposed to Tres Lunas and Guitars. Guess it all boils down to personal taste or what we get individually from Mikes tracks. I think Mike has captured the period he is covering in each track well. Broad Sunlit Uplands is an amazingly emotive track as is Lake Constance. If you have heard the origional rap version of Sunlight Shining Thro The Clouds, you will really appreciate how good the actual album version is.  ;)

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: May 04 2005, 18:36

Hmm, I do think there are plenty of poor (and worse!;) tracks in the album. 'Santa Maria' is a waste of time; 'Sunlight Shining Through Cloud', rap version or no rap version, is vomit inducing; 'The Doges Palace' is unbelievably arrogant and obnoxious; 'Mastermind'... well, does have kitsch value; 'Broad Sunlit Uplands' is Theme From "Love Story", by golly; and the title track only loses the trophy to 'Sunlight'. The decent tracks are way too dismissable to compensate for anything. 'Lake Constance', even though it is the best thing in the album, isn't worth a dime.

But then again: all my opinion.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Ratty Offline

Posted: May 04 2005, 18:48

Sir M, Like i said in my post, it all boils down to personal taste...What is it that you find vomit inducing about "sunlight"? the content, vocals, production?? Dont think ive ever listened to a record which has made me feel physically sick!!! sorry take that back...Cliff Richard, Mistletoe and Wine!!!!! uuurgh. Agree about Mastermind tho, it does have a degree of kitschness about it.  :)

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: May 04 2005, 19:26

Quote (Ratty @ May 04 2005, 18:48)
What is it that you find vomit inducing about "sunlight"? the content, vocals, production??

"Amay... zing... Grace... ... How sweet... ... that sound... ..."

*gunshot*

Add that to the endless loop of African voices, the OH SO HIP electronic beats, the OH SO RELIGIOUS gospel choir at the end, complete with handclaps, and you have it: Worst Oldfield Track Ever.

If the rap version is worse than that, I'd pay not to hear it.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 04 2005, 20:19

Well, I'd have to say that MB is down the bottom of my favourites list, perhaps third or fourth last, however even my least favourite Oldfield album doesn't provoke the same hatred in my that you feel, Sir M.

By the way, how can a piece of music be 'arrogant'? Please don't reply if the answer goes down the "how can he be so arrogant as to expect us to like this rubbish?" road; we did that in the Amarok discussion and it didn't lead anywhere. If there is a different reason for you to call it arrogant I am interested to hear it, because I can't think of one myself.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 05 2005, 05:38

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 04 2005, 23:36)
'Santa Maria' is a waste of time; 'Sunlight Shining Through Cloud', rap version or no rap version, is vomit inducing;
Here we are, you see. These are subjective experiences projected outwards. The comments tell us about you (which is fine), yet they're presented as if they were attributes of the music (which they aren't).
'The Doges Palace' is unbelievably arrogant and obnoxious;
Actually - and I don't believe this is what you're intending, but I'm just making an observation - it's this comment, not the music, which comes across to me as arrogant. For what it's worth, I find no trace of arrogance in the music, myself.
'Lake Constance', even though it is the best thing in the album, isn't worth a dime.
Again, faced with such a lovely piece, I can only be bemused by the grandiose absurdity of this statement. That it doesn't do much for you - fine. It's sad but must be accepted. That it's worthless? Oh, please!
But then again: all my opinion.
Then why express these opinions as though they're objective facts, as if it were the music's fault? - instead of the probable lack of a certain kind of receptivity in yourself (such as we all suffer from)?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: May 05 2005, 12:40

Quote (raven4x4x @ May 04 2005, 20:19)
By the way, how can a piece of music be 'arrogant'? Please don't reply if the answer goes down the "how can he be so arrogant as to expect us to like this rubbish?" road; we did that in the Amarok discussion and it didn't lead anywhere. If there is a different reason for you to call it arrogant I am interested to hear it, because I can't think of one myself.

No, it's the actual music that strikes me like that: all those "important" sounding strings and oboé, the bursts of the choir singing, all backed up by that plop-plop-plop rhythm designed to give Ralf Hütter nightmares? Bleh. It sounds like those hopeless "electronica" hacks making techno versions of famous and important songs, except Mike is trying to make a techno version of something that's supposed to evoke the classical period of music. And presenting it as a serious, artistic representation of a "period" of time? *howl!*

Then why express these opinions as though they're objective facts, as if it were the music's fault? - instead of the probable lack of a certain kind of receptivity in yourself (such as we all suffer from)?

Hey, I didn't do that on purpose. I'm not blaming the music for the feelings it causes in me. I'm just judging the music like that because... well, because it's quicker and easier to type! It's just laziness to, every time, remark that the feelings are in me, not in the music. I don't want people to misunderstand me in that area.

And yes, to me, a thousand 'Lake Constances' isn't worth one 'Song Of The Gulls'. Sorry!

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 05 2005, 16:19

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 05 2005, 17:40)
I'm not blaming the music for the feelings it causes in me.
But you do blame the music. Again and again and again. Read your posts. You insist, time and again (and very derisively), that the music is bad. Isn't it possible that you're missing something that others are able to perceive?
I'm just judging the music like that because... well, because it's quicker and easier to type! It's just laziness to, every time, remark that the feelings are in me, not in the music. I don't want people to misunderstand me in that area.
The price of the laziness seems to be that you go on and on saying things you don't mean. It seems I've misunderstood you completely. I was fully persuaded that you were saying Millenium Bell is actually 'bad' music.
And yes, to me, a thousand 'Lake Constances' isn't worth one 'Song Of The Gulls'. Sorry!
I've no quarrel with this statement. Just the earlier one.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: May 05 2005, 17:15

Quote (Alan D @ May 05 2005, 16:19)
The price of the laziness seems to be that you go on and on saying things you don't mean. It seems I've misunderstood you completely. I was fully persuaded that you were saying Millenium Bell is actually 'bad' music.

It is. Yes, it is. In my opinion. I never considered before that thing of "blaming the music" or not, so I didn't understand where your comment was coming from. I dunno, whenever I say "this music is bad" or something similar, it's nothing but my personal opinion. I never thought there could be something wrong with that, so I never felt the need to say, every time, that I wasn't blaming the music. Honestly, I think we're dragging on a discussion about an extremelly trivial matter. I'm just not willing to use more words to say the exact same things.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: May 05 2005, 18:51

so trivial, that 5 of last fifteen post's where your's

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: May 05 2005, 19:21

And how relevant is that?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 05 2005, 21:56

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 06 2005, 00:21)
And how relevant is that?

I think The Big BellEnd is saying that if you really feel it's trivial and being dragged on too far, you could just keep quiet and it would die. Therefore I'd say his observation is extremely relevant...

You should know by now what reaction your 'style' gets from people, and if you don't like what happens when you write like that, don't do it (also, join the club...). As a music reviewer, you should know that essential to good journalism is an in depth knowledge of how to use words to achieve a particular emotional effect. If you haven't quite figured out how that works, I'd suggest you get learning before you find your words getting you into a situation which you'd rather not be in.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 05 2005, 22:07

Quote (Alan D @ May 04 2005, 20:37)
It has Lake Constance, which alone is worth the price of the album, for me.

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 04 2005, 23:36)
'Lake Constance', even though it is the best thing in the album, isn't worth a dime.

I guess I'd missed this little echoing before. I can't be bothered politely giving you the benefit of the doubt any more, Sir M - grow up and stop winding people up, you're not making any friends this way.
Profile PM 
59 replies since Nov. 12 2004, 03:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net