Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mikey's Kickass Vocal Solos< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TimHighfield Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 18 2001, 04:13

Hehehe, just to complete the trilogy wink. This was originally going to be something like mandolin solos or something but if you want that you can start it yourself.

Anyway, I've been thinking (thanks to bennyboy for Guitar Solos and tubularbills for Piano Solos) that Mike can also have some pretty good vocal solos. Not just singing, although he isn't THAT bad at that, but also tonal work and the like. These are some of my favourite vocal solos:

TUBULAR BELLS- Piltdown Man section:

Amazing what a half-flooded cellar and a bottle of wine can do to someone. This part is one of the highlights of Part 2, and Mike's vocals really let rip and create a completely different mood to earlier parts of the album (like the Thunderstorm does in Hergest Ridge).

OMMADAWN- On Horseback:

Well, I like it smile.

FIVE MILES OUT- Five Miles Out:

Well, you've got to have "You're a prisoner of the dark sky...". Perfectly counterbalances Maggie Reilly's vocals, and highlights some great lyrics too.

HEAVEN'S OPEN- Heaven's Open:

I haven't included Crises, because I don't really rate that corresponding bit. This is the best song, IMHO, on the album, although some say No Dream or Gimme Back, but this one has power and Mike sounds like he's actually having a go at conveying emotion in this one.

TUBULAR BELLS II- Altered State:

Another Piltdown Man section, this time with a lot more volume but also some cheesy dialogue. But Mike's vocals are still there, and sound pretty good. It's just the dialogue detracts from it.

Feel free to comment on these and add your own (that's what the forums are here for). I think there are some in Amarok but I can't remember, and I don't mean the "telephone for Piltdown Man" bit.

-Tim-

100 not out.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2001, 14:33

AMAROK:

The various vocoder bits [all by Mike... smile]

The Intermission... smile

The hmm-hmm at 5'45'' before the first climax biggrin

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2001, 20:52

Very cool Tim!

HEAVEN'S OPEN--
Heaven's Open IMO i think is the best vocals that were done by him.

TUBULAR BELLS 3
Although it's simply, "Out Demon Out!" in Outcast, i think it sounds pretty cool. Mixed in with the other guitars it just adds good effect.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: May 01 2001, 21:31

I know he doesn't sing it, but "Pacha Mama" is one intense vocal song! And i think only MO could have arranged/written something as powerful as that song.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 23 2001, 04:29

What about Supernova from TSODE?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: May 23 2001, 08:33

Mat...
WONDERFUL!!! Didn't think of that... smile wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
FMO Offline

Posted: May 23 2001, 10:09

I think that "speak (thou' you only say farewell)" says it all. smile It's not actually a "vocal solo" , but a very nice "kickass vocal duo". wink I love it.

What's next? Favourite kiss ass vocoder solo?
biggrin

FMO
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2002, 19:49

I´ve heard from many MO´s fans that he is not a good singer,but I liked On Horseback.

Five Miles Out intrigues me...you have vocoder parts(which I love) and the normal vocals,but it seems to be that it´s not his voice.

Many people change their voice when they´re singing...is it Mike´s case on FMO??

Just thinking´bout it.

Tati the Sentinel

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2002, 04:21

all the OI'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in punkadiddle. or the rude message right at the end of MFTB. if they're actually him. i think they are.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Dalriada Offline

Posted: May 06 2002, 08:22

Hey, how could you mention Punkadiddle without Platinum and "dabada-du-dam-dap" and those sexy whispers that make my headphones wet?

However, I'm one of those who think that Mike as a singer sucks and *I'm* ashamed of Heaven's open if he himself isn't.
Profile PM 
9 replies since Jan. 18 2001, 04:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net