Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mikey's Kickass Guitar Solos< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
tubularbills Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 29 2001, 21:34

perhaps this post came out before the album was produced, but i noticed that no one mentioned anything from "Guitars"! seems as if this album would most likely fit the context of the post than any other one. I have to add OUT OF SIGHT and COCHISE to my favorites of his guitar solos. I recently bought this album and was amazed.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2002, 21:51

What about Taurus III? THat whole song is a guitar solo.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2002, 10:26

Hi,
One of my favourites amoong a lot of great guitar solo's from Mike,is the solo to Magic Touch,which is amazing,just watch him play the solo on the video,it's all over the fret board,and lightning fast,wow,i also like the solo to Moonlight Shadow,but i have to say,he has been playing it even better live lately,now with a great extended solo,and just touching on Mike taking some influence from Mark Knopfler,which is taked about elsewhere in this forum,near the end of the live solo for Moonlight Shadow that he is playing lately,you can hear a very Sultans Of Swing fast trip-let thing,which sounds great.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2002, 00:42

• Tricks of the Light from Discovery
  • Dark Star from Tubular Bells II
  • Moonlight Shadow (of Course!)
  • Far Above the CLouds from TB3
  • Serpent Dream from TB3
  • Taurus 3 from Crises
  • And a lot more that I might add soon

Visit my web page at www.global.net.au/~holmangp

--------------
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 29 2002, 17:33

my fav solos are:

THE SONGS OF DISTANT EARTH
Let there be light.......I love that....even tho its not really a solo....its just the tune. but for a solo...Crystal Clear would have to come second to Ascension...well.....i like them both the same...ahh...I love this album!! the cool harmonizing guitars that bend up and down all the time all thru the album are really cool as well.

GUITARS
Summit day....what else can i say? i love this song...also Out of Mind is a really fun song....i love that song...one of the funnest songs hes made

TUBULAR BELLS 3
Far Above the Clouds...thats really a breakthrough solo in that song...no matter how many times i listen to it or play along with it its just so AWESOME! Serpent Dream and Outcast i love also...and.....i know a lot of ppl have somethn against Secrets and TSOS...i cant see why....but i love those songs.....really mysterious and melodic...and i love that guitar part in it with the no-attack no-treble clean sound...the versoi nof TSOS on the millennium bell concert was cool too cuz he put on distortion for it at the end...that was cool

TUBULAR BELLS 2
i love those guitar parts in Sentinel...Tattoo is also really awesome...and the one in The Bell kicks also

OMMADAWN
this is full of solos...my fav part is just after that happy tune with the clarinet and stuff...with those low tom drum things playing and the soft strings in the background...the guitars harmonize so COOL there!

INCANTATIONS
i agree with whoever said that about part 3....its an awesome solo..one i havent figured out how to play yet....theres so much to it and it keeps changing scales or chords or whatever so its hard to figure out exactly..also the part in part 4 is cool just before the girl starts singing

PLATINUM
whatever part 2 is called..i love that solo......Punkadiddle is cool too

THE MILLENNIUM BELL
nothing beats the solo from Liberation and the guitars that harmonize in the middle of The Millennium Bell (the last track) and that solo at the end of that track is also very good

well those are all i can think of right now...but they are my favs...there was a couple in Voyager but i dont even know the names of the tracks in that one...i only have a burned copy of that...

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2002, 13:34

I hope you don't mind if I open up the book on this one again, but I've so much to catch up on! I also agree that some of Mike's tracks are one long guitar solo so I class those as solos too. Some of my favourites are:

The build up to the end of 'Hergest Ridge' part 1 before the choir comes in...

Poison Arrow and Discovery from 'Discovery' are brilliant solos...

'Crises' about 5 minutes in, the bluesy solo with police sirens and breaking glass, followed by some mega rock guitar up until Mike starts singing...

Both Airborn and Platinum from 'Platinum'...

Conflict and Mirage from 'QE2'. Mirage just gets better and better with every listen. The guitar is blistering...if you don't believe me, play it again and listen. I can't believe that no-one has chosen Mirage yet!

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: April 01 2002, 02:28

I still can't believe more people haven't put down items from "Guitars"! i mean, hello, "guitars" = guitar solos smile

it's such a cool album with all the different variations of tunes and different styles of guitars. i love his distortion guitar in "Out of Sight". and especially the distortion guitar in Tubular Bells 3 (FATC). wooo!! i think his best pieces of guitar (and other instruments i guess as well) are his most powerful ones.

while some more subtle ones are OK (muse), his all out loud in your face explosion of music are the best (FATC, Out of sight, TMB).

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 06 2002, 01:09

<COMING SOON>
I have been listening to all the albums in sequence and I will soon post a very big, very complete post about guitar solos.
<BE WARNED>

--------------
Profile PM 
Vladimir Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 09:30

01 The beginning of "Crises". Or it is not a solo?

02 Intro from "Out Of Mind". 3rd tune (after the very loud piece)

And others...
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 25 2002, 20:12

Limiting myself to Guitars: the whole of Cochise and the whole of Out of Mind are really cool. But maybe I've altready said this in a previous post in this thread??? smile wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 23 2002, 19:09

The guitar riff from Family Man is now being used on Brazilian TV during some ads in a TV programme for women...during the show,they annonce some products and here comes dear Mikey boy with his kickass guitar!
*LOL*

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: June 26 2002, 06:12

Here is the start of my mega list of good guitar solos. This is done in alphabetical order, and is VERY detailed. Here we go:

Amarok
1. The howling guitar at the start (0:28 and especially 0:40)
2. The first climax, at 5:46
3. Mad Bit, starting at 15:00 (Acoustic and electric bits)
4. The sitar at 16:30
5. Very fast solo at 22:30, and the flamenco acoustic at 24:46.
6.Very fast bit at 36:44
7. Africa 1 Climax at 50:24
8. Steel Guitar at 51:17, and climbing electric solo directly after it.
9. The Bells Climax at 53:52
Finally, 10. The very end guitar at 59:11 and the solo at 59:42

Crises
Firstly, the title track:
1.The rock bit at 3:51
2.The Watcher in the tower section (my favourite ever Strat sound) at 7:56
And the others...
3.The Moonlight Shadow solo (duh!)
4. The Whole of Taurus III
5. Some of the Shadow on the Wall guitar is good too.

Discovery
1. The acoustic and electric solos of To France
2. The guitar solo of the title track
3. All of the guitar from Tricks of the Light
From The Lake:
4.The clean solo at 4:22
5. The Electric at 8:54...
6. ...and the acoustic over the top of it (9:22)

Earth Moving
The solos from:
1. Holy
2. Far Country

I'll post the rest later

--------------
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2003, 18:31

I guess it fits in here - I just picked up the 'Five Miles Out' 7" single - so I'd like to add 'Live Punkadiddle' from the other side (I'd hesitate to call it 'B' ).
Especially the ending (well, 'ending' - it's almost half of the whole 5:30! ) is awesome - Mike in full gear, just making you wish he'd never stop that...
And it's apparently a recording from Germany (well, maybe Austria ;) ), since the audience shouts 'Zugabe' (=encore in German) at the end.
Profile PM WEB 
fizzicato
Unregistered

Posted: June 01 2003, 19:48

-DISCOVERY solo
-SHINE solo
-MAGIC TOUCH solo
-BLUE NIGHT solo
-LION REPRISE solo from amarok
-OMMADAWN fast solo in the middle of first part
-QE2 fast scale solo
-GIMME BACH chirriiiiiisolo
-DARK STAR solo
-TAURUS III
bugular tell Offline

Posted: June 10 2003, 17:05

all of the solos mention are fantastic, but everyone seems to have forgotten Tre3 lunas and no mans land reprise, wonderful guitar!  :D

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 11 2003, 08:38

Mike has done loads of wonderful solo's,but i think it's time we stated praising Tubular Bells 2003,and one of it's greatest moments in Ambient Guitars,this is amazing,Mike's guitar playing is wonderful throughout it,loads of guitar too,which we like,i have been playing this CD in my car since i bought it,i've listened to nothing else,and Ambient Guitars at high volume in the car is great.
Profile PM 
mcguitar Offline

Posted: April 06 2004, 17:08

Just hear his guitar work for David Bedford on his cd
"Instruction for Angels" there is a bit where Mike playes a brilliant part together with David Bedford on Church Organ. It was recorded in the Wourcester Cathedral live early 1976.
JUST BRILIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

MC
Profile PM 
brob108 Offline

Posted: April 11 2004, 08:41

I've long loved the guitar soloing he does on Five Miles Out (both the song and the album)...Orabidoo is especially well played in my opinion.  

Ommadawn is very dramatic, as is Far Above the Clouds.

If Moonlight Shadow is being included...how about Crime of Passion?  Another great guitar solo in a song is the one in No Dream..blistering in fact!

Sorry forgot to add...the guitars on Incantations part 4 between the vibraphone section and the marimba based finale are sublime too!
Profile PM 
palmeida
Unregistered

Posted: April 13 2004, 14:22

I can´t believe that only one mentions "Shine".
It´sby far the best & fastest solo!!!
James
Unregistered

Posted: April 19 2004, 08:38

Hi to everyone!
Interesting talking point this one I have to admit there really is tooooo much choice Mike has toooo many brilliant guitar solos .As we must all agree Mike doesn't do bad solos my vote goes with GMOVJ Crises and Incantations there are some very spiritual and technically brill guitar parts.

Im in complete awe after the exposed live concert of Incantations the close what an amazing solo conclusion not the fastest playing it aint always about speed but feel and expression.All those lucky folks who witnessed that solo wow!!.Oh and I adore every single solo on Taurus 2 but then I love every single nuance there he he hek!!  ;) Ommadawn solos well need I say more it's got to be one of the injustices of the music world that Mike fails to be widely respected as a true guitar genius that he clearly is. :(  :D
91 replies since Sep. 02 2000, 06:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net