Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mikey Boy: King Of The Web< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bennyboy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 06 2000, 04:01

Hello! Bennyboy here!

I'm just wondering, have any of you noticed that Mike, even though he is not such a well known artist has hundreds of web sites devoted to him but someone like Bob Dylan, very well known and referred to as God more often than Mike, has precious few web sites devoted to him (just something I noticed).

What do all you guys think? Why is this?
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 06 2000, 15:25

Hi Bennyboy, yes I've noticed that too.
So, in Mike's Style(s) I posted the question if MO is maybe 'Geek Culture'. But that got only one reply so far, so maybe my idea was not so good.
Here are some other ideas:
1) Mike makes heavy use of technical equipment. So, among his fans there will be many people also interested in technical stuff (like computers...)
2) Mike sort of 'invented' homerecording. So, among his fans there will be many people also interested in homerecording (which often means they use a computer...)
3) Much of Mike's music is well suited for MIDI sequencing (unlike e.g. Bob Dylan's). MIDI files can be easily exchanged over the web.
Just some ideas... Cheers, Carsten

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2000, 10:08

Personally I think your "Mike Oldfield as geek culture" idea may have some truth in it, its just that maybe some fans don't like the suggestion that they might be geeks and therefore didn't respond, maybe.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2000, 18:08

Oh I think Mike´s culture is more like Plus TUBULAR BELLS!!!I mean, how could you think about that when he was a hippie and was sitting in the middle of a field for Ommadawn photos???

Isn´t it a case of an amazing eclecticism??

I think that´s the thing that makes the difference about the people that like this kind of music: we are eclectical. If not, look at all that different points of view about seing life that are expressed in all those different Mike´s works.

I think it´s so because he (and the ones that can understand his music and work) is far high from all that different cultures and points of view, and that´s why he is so able to change from one to anothers so easily.

Do you find it too much abstract? I do by the way... but... if you think a little... isn´t that write?? smile

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2002, 22:12

Mabey it's because all the 'cool' guys, who would never make a web page, listen to rap, or pop or whatever the hell other people listen to rolleyes, while we, who can and do make web pages, listen to Mike

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: April 09 2002, 18:37

Oldfield fans tend to be, in my experience, intelligent, creative and free-thinking minds...and of course, every fan of Mike is a passionate fan becuase the music itself is so emotionally powerful...these characteristics ensure that a fan with the skills and opportunity to create an internet site dedicated to Mike would do so...and anyway, Mike has a nicer singing voice than Bob Dylan biggrin...
Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
5 replies since Dec. 06 2000, 04:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net