Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's styles< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 19 2003, 06:42

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ May 18 2003, 18:43)
I know plenty of people who write and play heavy metal just for the fun of going nuts ;)

Well I stand corrected then. But usually from what I've heard it's written for the releasing of emotions.

Heh, well...to be perfectly serious, there are lots of reasons to write it (if we count certain guitar 'virtuosos' as being heavy metal, showing off technical ability would be one reason)...but going nuts is fun occasionally  :D

In case it's relevant, Mike said Crises was what he called rock - it was a journalist who said there was heavy metal on there.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 19 2003, 07:27

That's true, too.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 19 2003, 16:11

Oh......... oke.......... uhm... sorry about that

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 20 2003, 10:48

This whole blues thing confuses me,i mean B Blues is meant as a tribute to BB King,but Mike is not a blues player,never has been,and he has said he does'nt care much for playing in the blues scale,so,why would he make a BB King tribute track,and make it sound nothing like BB King?.So is it really a BB King tribute?
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: May 22 2003, 05:48

Here's another very obvious one: Pop!
Profile PM 
Gandalph Offline

Posted: May 22 2003, 09:51

Another obvious one would be Jazz (MFTB)

--------------
Yet Another Mike Oldfield Web Site - http://www.dbennett.karoo.net
Profile PM WEB 
Cloth Ears
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 15 2004, 15:32

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed how similar the guitar style Mike has, on the Carl Palmer track called Ready Mix (around the 5 miles out period I think) is to the guitar sound Big Country guitarist Stuart Adamson had?

I know Mike worked with Adam during his Skids days.  Just wondered if anyone else thinks somebody’s influenced somebody here.
MaXiMo Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2004, 18:48

Just everything except TECHNO

--------------
If you want to be a good person, you must be like me.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2004, 02:20

Oh No, as much as I prefer Mikes very early stuff like TB, HR  Ommadawn and Incantations, to some of the crap he did in the 80's, and I love the newer stuff from Amarok and TBII and beyond, my stand out by a mile favourite peice of music by Mike is the excerpt from TBIII on the Essential Mike Oldfield, (except for the distorted bit which bugs me if I have it too loud), and this is most definitely TECHNO.
Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 16 2004, 06:16

Anyone able to tell what this bit is called on TB3?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2004, 06:55

I think that would be The Source Of Secrets (Track 1), but the TBIII version is slightly different.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2004, 19:05

Yes it is 'the Source of Secrets' track from TBIII but it is much more Techno than what ends up on the album. I read that he originally did the whole of 'side1' of TBIII in Techno, due to his drug induced time in dance clubs in Ibiza, but later decided it was too much. I would still love to hear it but apparently the only piece that has been saved and recorded is this little piece on the Essential Mike Oldfield cd. This one is much grittier and has male vocals instead of female vocals, and 1 minute 28 seconds into it it goes spastic which is the part I love, it is 3 minutes and 40 seconds long.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
TwyliteMagick Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2004, 06:30

Sorry to interrupt, but does anyone else feel Mike's gone "dancy" over the last couple of albums? I don't think I like all the synths.

--------------
"Whatever happened to the teenage dream?" It shrivelled and burned in the flames of reality, to become the fuel that destroys the next generation.

Still, no worries, eh?
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2004, 00:13

Well he certainly went dancy while living in Ibiza which has a huge dance culture but I think he has steered away from that again now since moving away.

--------------
Profile PM 
DanishDonJuan Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2004, 06:49

I have read Western, Raggae, Swing, Heavy Metal, Classical, Irish Folk, Dance, Techno, Rock'n'roll, Pop, Jazz....
Has anyone mentioned New Age, Progressive Rock, Soundtrack Score, Latin, Blue Grass, and Opera?

Is there any category he has not touched? I can think of few, but not many. (Disco, Speed Metal, and Country is some of the only ones I can think of that I do not recall him doing.)

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2004, 10:47

Quote (DanishDonJuan @ Dec. 23 2004, 12:49)
Is there any category he has not touched? I can think of few, but not many. (Disco, Speed Metal, and Country is some of the only ones I can think of that I do not recall him doing.)

Black metal, death metal, goth metal, hardcore, hip-hop, world fusion, musical (he wanted to make one though), grunge, free jazz, R&B, funk.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2004, 16:28

Quote (DanishDonJuan @ Dec. 23 2004, 12:49)

Oh, but he has made Disco. Guilty is quite definitely "Disco" (in a Mike way of course), as well as some of Platinum, and even the "Sana Rosana" section of Taurus II has something Disco-ish to it.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2004, 16:30

And as for the metal thing... well, I'm quite the metal fan, and to my mind, lots of Mike's material has a similar edge to it, just in a much more subtle way.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2004, 17:14

Funny though, how a lot of what you could call nu metal vocalist's sound like piltdown man, only piltdown man is bit less aggressive and easier to understand.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2004, 17:19

ps I think just about everyone had a go at disco, remember Kiss, I was born for lovin you.........pheweeeeee.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
63 replies since May 12 2003, 18:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net