Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's strangest album, weird, cool and funny< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 24 2007, 05:14

It strikes me as strange, too. Although I think "Platinum" parts 2 and 4, and "Punkadiddle" are (excuse the 80's phrase) totally awesome, I don't see Platinum as a great album. Maybe I just need to listen to it another six times?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
emac Offline

Posted: June 24 2007, 09:00

Somewhere (although I can't be sure where) I heard Platnium described as "Mike Oldfield for Beginners"
But still It's lots of fun!
emac.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 24 2007, 09:07

Quote (emac @ June 24 2007, 14:00)
Somewhere (although I can't be sure where) I heard Platnium described as "Mike Oldfield for Beginners"

I don't think that does it justice. When the album first appeared, I found it quite puzzling because it was so different to what had gone before. Here and now, I suppose I'm still not entirely won over by what was the second side of the vinyl LP, but I think the Platinum suite itself has stood the test of time pretty well, and represents a really interesting experiment on MO's part. In particular, 'North Star' in the last section is surely among the best things he's done, in my view.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 27 2007, 05:00

To understand why "Platinum" sounds the way it does one has to consider Mike's situation at the time. He was writing music that could be performed by a small band on tour.

He had just made a tremendous loss touring the world with an orchestra and choir. Losing the "power" of strings and all that, he had to inject some funk pop-a-roll to compensate.

I think the album is fun, and there are lots of great melodies and solos. I like "Into Wonderland" a lot too. It's weird, like a song from another world (a world of....20 000 girls!).

Lowpoints for me is the North Star bit (too bland!) and I Got Rhythm (it doesn't!).

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2007, 16:25

Quote (larstangmark @ June 27 2007, 05:00)
Lowpoints for me is the North Star bit (too bland!)

"Bland"?? I suppose if you've been spending time in the land of 20,000 girls it might be so, but... no, I'm just not getting it. "North Star", to me, is the highlight of the entire album.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2007, 18:52

I dunno I would say amarok is the strangest album, maybe Platinum is a close second.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2007, 15:40

Quote (Sweetpea @ Aug. 31 2007, 16:25)
Quote (larstangmark @ June 27 2007, 05:00)
Lowpoints for me is the North Star bit (too bland!;)

"Bland"?? I suppose if you've been spending time in the land of 20,000 girls it might be so, but... no, I'm just not getting it. "North Star", to me, is the highlight of the entire album.

It doesn't do a lot for me sadly. There's so much tension in the rest of "Platinum" that I feel that the North Star bit is a bit passive. The disco drumming at the end doesn't help. But I enjoy the choir of and the acoustic guitar solo. It's not like I hate it.

I also feel the same about the second halves of "Taurus II" and "Crises". Same thing with the "jam"-section of TB part 2 that Mike used to do in concert.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
26 replies since Nov. 26 2006, 11:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net