Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's mental state< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jeremy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 01 2007, 15:37

I think it would only be fair and reasonable that Hiawatha should have first right of reply to Gurus last two posts, we can form a posse after that.
Hiawatha, be gentle!

--------------
How can they NOT like my music!
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2007, 15:39

I think you are way off the mark when it comes to what you have said about Incantations. I cant say you are wrong because it is an opinion but I don't think you understand the intention of the music. You should do some research into minimalism to understand more about it. My opinion is that Incantations is a superb work, musically superior to oxygene or anything jarre ever wrote and could ever dream of writing.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2007, 11:28

Quote (Guru Meditation @ Mar. 01 2007, 13:39)
THIS COMPOSITION IS FAULTED!

The beggining could have been much better, but the patterns are rhythmicaly misjudged! Oldifeld doesn't change the rhythm enough, patterns are too stagnant and that totaly spoils the great idea! Roughly said, if you would omitt a few notes inside of some of the patterns you would get much better music, that sounds exactly like trance-ecstatic incantation,

I assume you must be referring to the first 3 or so minutes? The "patterns" being what they are is what makes it so great. They are that way not due to a misjudgement, but as an expression of Oldfield's musical genius in its very top form.

I've heard a variation (on "Tubular Vibes") in which some notes were omitted, and it just did not compare.

The only thing I don't like about this section is that it did not go on longer. Otherwise, it is musical perfection. There is nothing I've ever heard in any music that I like better, from anyone, in any other album or composition. Except, maybe, a couple of other sections of "Incantations" at times. But I always end up changing my mind back and returning to these few minutes at the start of Part 1.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2007, 05:35

ThisName is trying to imagine Incantations patterns minus a few notes and thinks it would sound like poop!

Superb album, and I cant believe somebody could call it faulted.

Tut Tut Tut.....

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 09:00

Quote (larstangmark @ Feb. 01 2006, 20:02)
From what I've read Mike only wrote part 1 and 4 after his exegesis course.
I think you can hear a difference. Parts 2 and 3 are more dreamlike. Parts 1 and 4 are more bouncy and energetic. There's almost a disco-like rhythm towards the end of part 1.

At the time Mike said his favorite part of Incantations was the beginning of part 4 - and there's almost a jazz/fusion influence there.

Quote (hiawatha @ Feb. 01 2006, 20:26)
I think it might be mixed. Only the middle of part 3 can be described as "dreamlike" to me. Sections of part 4 are, I think, the oldest parts of the album.

Wow, this is very interesting. After listening to the album yesterday I felt I had finally figured out that parts 1 and 2 would have to be the pre-exegesis parts, and parts 3 and 4 the post-exegesis ones. I think it's striking how much a lot of those latter parts sound like QE2 (not so much Platinum, interestingly); whereas the former parts sound more similar to Hergest Ridge and, to a lesser degree, Ommadawn, than to any of his other albums IMO.
Now I'd actually like to make a more thorough analysis of the whole thing, to come to a more accurate conclusion as to which parts would likely have been written before and after the exegesis, but I'm not sure if and when I'll find the time for it.

Oh, and just to add my two cents to the Jarre discussion - I always thought that the synthesizer parts in Incantations were a bit reminiscent of not so much Jarre but Vangelis - but only a little bit really, and that's as far as the similarities go. It might or might not be coincidence, and I'm aware that Mike's opinion of Vangelis isn't higher than that he has of Jarre (I think he actually dismissed them both in the same sentence). I don't think he'd been have more than superficially influenced by either, and I agree with what has been said that the primary influences on Incantations would be the so-called minimalists (Reich, Glass, Riley) and David Bedford, and the experimentation with contemporary pop music (disco and rock) that he started after the exegesis course, which would have had a subtle but tangible influence on the parts he worked on afterwards.
Profile PM 
24 replies since Feb. 01 2006, 12:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net