Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's Guitars< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
David Mar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 29 2001, 05:49

Colin Summer's runs a music store in Hereford called Heads, Hands & Feet. In the '70's, he used to work at a music shop called Buzz Music (in Hereford). He told me that he sold Mike a blonde Gibson L6-S Deluxe and a Gibson Acoustic Guitar. Mike used the L6-S on the 'Exposed' album cover. The black L6-S that he also used on the tour is a L6-S Custom - as used by Carlos Santana (when Carlos used them in the '70's). I don't know what sort of L6-S Mike used at Knebworth. Mike possibly used an L6-S on 'Ommadawn', but he could still do very high string bends on his Les Paul Junior - as he played 'Ommadawn' live on the Scottish TV programme in 1981. Mike used a Mesa Boogie II on the inside cover of the 'Five Miles Out' album, and I've also seen him in a photo with a Vox AC30, and he mensioned that he used a Peavey on T Bells 2. That is in addition to a Fender Twin (for clean)and a Princeton (for distorted sounds) and a Boogie for lead.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 30 2001, 00:36

Now that's interesting...

The L6-S that Mike used at Knebworth was customised by Tony Zematis - the style of metalworking on the scratchplate is something that Tony is quite well known for. It may well be the same blond L6-S deluxe which he bought from Buzz Music...

As far as I know, Mike started using the L6-S after Ommadawn, but I could yet be proved wrong...
Most of the pictures from around the time of its recording show him with the SG Junior, though I'm starting to suspect he may have owned an SG special at some point.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: June 13 2002, 07:18

I want him to get this guitarhere. Insn't this the most awesome guitar you ever saw? It's also a PRS, so it should be a good one to use.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 13 2002, 18:59

Are you offering to pay for it? wink

The PRS Dragons are never cheap...

Stunning piece of work, of course - an example of how computer controlled cutting machinery can be put to good use.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: June 27 2002, 06:16

If I had the money I would get that Dragon guitar for myself. I would love to see it close up. I have never played a guitar, but it would be interesting to have one.

--------------
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 30 2002, 17:02

I'm not sure Mike would get a dragon,nice as it is,but not really his stlye,but,an interesting thing about the way the PRS is made,is that it is C.N.C machined on a Makino machine,and that is the exact machine that i use at my work,and we use it to make civil and military aircraft.If only i had the program for the PRS,i could make myself one. :D
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2002, 23:36

I don't think PRS would be too happy if you made one of their guitars instrad of buying it!

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2002, 00:23

I believe the PRS body shape is trademarked...certain aspects of them are, certainly (in the same way that Fender trademark their headstocks). People do make PRS copies themselves, though...

There are inlay shops which will do dragon inlays, and you could in all likelyhood get a completely hand made guitar with an inlay of that kind for less than the price of the PRS (which is made with CNC machines, so you might think production costs would be lower...).
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2002, 19:19

Does anybody know how many guitars/acoustic guitars Mikey Boy has got,and their names(some of them we can see on Guitars...)?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2002, 21:25

Some things which will help answer your question, but not answer it completely:

The Guitars page in the discography here names all of the guitars which are shown in that picture.

There's a picture from the boxed booklet, with added labels, which shows most of the instruments that Mike had in around 1976.

The instruments page lists a lot of the guitars which he owns. You can be fairly certain, though, that there will be things which he owns which aren't listed there, and maybe also things listed there which he no longer owns.

Maybe something more in depth is needed...
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2002, 13:56

The picture of the 1976 instruments list was interesting,i love playing the appalachin Dulcimer,the first piece of music i ever wrote,was written on one of those.I would love to hear Mike play it.
I know Mike has had a few guitar's custom made,but has he ever had a signature guitar made,most other guitar players have had one,but most don't deserve it,i think Mike does.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2002, 03:42

Yeah, a Mike Oldfield signature PRS Custom 24. That would be awesome. I've alwys thought that the PRS is his best guitar. It just has such an awesome sound, especially on the Art in Heaven lightshow track from Berlin 2000.

If I were Mike, I would put on a website a complete list of the guitars I had (with pictures of course) and possably examples of where they are used. My other favourite guitarist, Steve Howe, had a book made about his guitar collection, which has about 120 guitars in it (very impressive!;) I wonder how many guitars Mike has?

--------------
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2002, 14:01

I Just read in Total Guitar magazine,that Tony Zemaitis died on August 17th.
R.I.P.
Profile PM 
Tubular Cobra Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2002, 20:11

Ummm my mom Promised me i am going to get a Accoustic Guitar and Have Private Lessons to Play it. Later i would get or first i would get the Powerpuff Girl Heart Shaped Gutiar. It Looks like this http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/shop....02.html the Thing Costs about $500.00. Anyways i like the Dragon Guitar. Even Though i am A Girl i dont Like Girlie Stuff! I have a Strict Taste on Guitars.

--------------
ooo! Look at my Pretty Black Stripes! :D and btw - Mike Oldfield Ownz You!(Well Not Really)
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2002, 14:23

I should say that I feel it's important to try out several guitars before you buy one, if you don't have experience of playing them - some wild shaped ones might look great, but they can be quite uncomfortable to play, and end up restricting your playing because of that. It can depend very much on the player as well - there was one guitar I remember trying which was quite traditionally shaped, but I felt was awkward and was never in the right position when I was trying to play it, but its owner found it fitted him perfectly...horses for courses...
Profile PM 
Tubular Cobra Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2002, 19:18

Awwwwwwww My mom Said i cant Get a Electric Guitar! :( Do Electric Guitars make Noise(You know that loud noise) :P

--------------
ooo! Look at my Pretty Black Stripes! :D and btw - Mike Oldfield Ownz You!(Well Not Really)
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2002, 15:57

An electric guitar, if not plugged in, is much quieter than an acoustic guitar. Plugging it in can change things somewhat, though ;)

I feel that an electric guitar played well can be a sound as beautiful as any other instrument you might care to mention...but in the hands of a...shall I say less experienced player, the sound can be rather less enjoyable.

There's a way of thinking that says that people should start off learning on an acoustic guitar. I don't personally think that's necessary - learn what you want to play. That said, some of the techniques of acoustic playing, particularly classical playing, can be very useful when brought to the electric guitar, so learning those is far from useless.
They're different instruments, though. Yes, the fingering's the same, but each one has to be approached in a slightly different way in order to get the best out of it.
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2002, 05:42

Am I the first person to realise that the Martin Parlour Acoustic guitar that Mike is pictured with on the cover photo of 'Guitars' is also visible (although partially obscurd) in the photos of Mike in the 'Guitarist' magazine interview in 1994 - at the time of 'Songs Of Distant Earth'? It's unusual for an acoustic guitar to be without a pickguard as most makes have them. Occassionally, some players take theirs off to improve the tone, but personally I'd rather have the top of the guitar protected from scratches!!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2002, 14:23

No, you're not ;)

I believe he talks about it in that interview as well, though I seem to remember him saying it's a 1960s guitar - going by the headstock inlay, I'd date it as being much older than that (I forget exactly, I think 1920s), so maybe he's referring to a different one, or maybe my dating techniques are wrong.
Profile PM 
Tubular Cobra Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2002, 20:45

Korgscrew - So that Means i cant Get a Electric Guitar Yet?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
34 replies since Oct. 29 2001, 05:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net