Wayfarer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 08 2007, 22:21

Mike's guitar being auctioned on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300066211935

Text follows:

Hello,
here is an original vintage pre CBS

Fender Stratocaster, made in 1963, original custom color lake placid blue, L-series, spaghetti logo, green guard.

Serial number: L 13996
Neck date: 2 JUL 63 B

The preowner bought it some years ago from Mike Oldfield in a studio in Munich.

Mike has oversprayed the original lake placid blue finish with a white lacquer – who knows why.

After purchase the preowner removed the white lacquer very carefully in the MUSIC SHOP München. So the original lake placid blue finished appeared and it is in its original state again.

You can still see the nail holes.

The original lake placid blue is well worn now but it looks soooo cool vintage.

Mike Oldfield replaced the original tuners ( no extra holes ! ), the tremolo block, a 5-way switch and the pots by new parts.

Original tuners, trem block, 3-way switch and pots are existing. They are included. See photos.

All other parts are original ( pickups, pickguard, knobs, logo etc.).

So the guitar is ALL ORIGINAL ( except for a professional refret ).

This strat is one of the best sounding strat I ever played. It plays great. The neck is straight as an arrow and feels amazing.

The guitar comes in an original 1979 Fender Stratocaster hard case.

You can check it here at my home. I`ll gladly send more pictures.

---------------------------------------

Just as an info:

A 1963 Stratocaster lake placid blue in excellent condition is listed in the official vintage guitar price guide for USD  38,000.00.

May it be the one often referred as "the white Stratocaster with a greenish tinge"? Then the 'greenish tinge' may be just the original blue finish appearing under an aged white lacquer...

What do you think? Any ideas?

-- Wayfarer

P.D. Thanks to Yannick for the link!!!

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2007, 04:24

And thanks manintherain for the link,too! :)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Jan. 09 2007, 15:40

So it went for 15.550 Euro!

Not too bad for guitar that has only been featured twice on tv.

http://www.netcologne.de/~nc-maguhnch/Fender1.jpg

http://www.netcologne.de/~nc-maguhnch/Fender2.jpg

:O
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2007, 16:17

Quote (manintherain @ Jan. 09 2007, 21:40)
So it went for 15.550 Euro!

Not too bad for guitar that has only been featured twice on tv.

http://www.netcologne.de/~nc-maguhnch/Fender1.jpg

http://www.netcologne.de/~nc-maguhnch/Fender2.jpg

Well, looks like the buyer is a guitar collector: I've looked his history and he has bought a lot of vintage guitars.

The seller said that this model in perfect state is valued in around 38000 USD, so maybe 15000EUR is a good price just for the guitar itself... the fact that the previous owner was Mike Oldfield has been just a small value added.

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2007, 17:47

WOW in those photo's Mike is the spit and deg of the new Robin Hood on BBC 1 TV.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2007, 12:56

Blimey that's alot of money!  Apart from the MO angle was this guitar collectable anyway?
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Jan. 11 2007, 01:13

For most collectors, pre-CBS (pre-1966) Fender vintage guitars and amps are the desirable ones. Although CBS purchased Fender (officially) on January 3rd 1965, it took some time till the guitars changed (though by mid 1964, six months before CBS bought Fender, things were already "on the way down"). By the end of 1965, the general look and feel of the Fender guitars had changed significantly. All collectors feel the quality of their instruments and amps suffered as CBS employed more "mass production" manufacturing processes to the Fender guitars. The "large peghead" (starting in late 1965) as used on the Fender Stratocaster was one example of the (bad) changes to come. The "custom contoured" bodies Fender was famous for no longer were as sculped and sleek. Newer (and less attractive) plastics were used for the pickguards. Pearl fingerboard inlays replaced the original "clay" dots. Indian rosewood replaced the beautifully figured Brazilian rosewood on the fingerboards. And by 1968, polyurathane replaced the original nitrocellulose lacquer that was used from Fender's conception. By early 1971 the party was truely over. Fender now employed the infamous "3 bolt neck" and one piece die cast bridge on the Strat, ruining it's tone and feel. Many other models suffered the same miserable fate of being over mass-produced and cheapened by corporate zealots.
Because of this, Fender's most innocent era of the 1950's is their most collectible. This decade produced guitars with one-piece maple necks, single layer pickguards, thin "spaghetti" logos, and tweed cases that seem to capture collectors the most.

The early 1960's Fenders with "slab" rosewood fingerboards are also collectible, but not to the extent of the earlier 1950's maple-neck era. Of the rosewood fingerboard models, the "slab" fingerboard (1958/mid-1959 to August 1962) variants are more desirable than the "veener" fingerboard (August 1962 and later) pre-CBS models. The "transistion" era (late summer 1964 to December 1965) are the least collectible of the pre-CBS models. This era is known as a "transition" because later summer 1964 to December 1965 was the time when there was a transition from the Leo Fender management to CBS management, and mass-production manufacturing techniques were starting to take a firm hold.

Vintage Guitars Info

Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2007, 02:48

manintherain......you are always the best!

Regards from somebody who can't play guitar!
;)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
7 replies since Jan. 08 2007, 22:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net