Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mikes favourite guitars, Was the red and white one marc bolans?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 05 2009, 11:30

This looks do-able too. Except for the git being a little lighter sunburst than the black cherry one, you can have this for about $1500 or less. I betcha I could find the darker cherry sunburst tho. But whadya think I do? Look at guitars all day!
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2009, 11:53

An identical guitar is hanging in the Guitar Centre in Houston.  I know - I'm stood looking at it.  Anyone want me to buy it for them - $24000.

Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2009, 11:54

@Yanouch.I'd love to mate except for 2 things.I don't drink alcohol and i really dislike London.If you are in North Oxfordshire though PM me and we'll try to meet up.You have my email address i believe.
@Scatterplot.That's what i have done to my antique white USA Strat.I have a '97 USA Standard with Fender Custom Shop electrics (pick-up's,switch and pots)and i added a Custom Shop pickgaurd similar to the one you have put on here.The sunburst on Mike's is more akin to a 60's 3-tone though.Again Fender do a million finishes now.If i was to buy another strat i'd have to get a sunburst rosewood board and 'Mikefy' it. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2009, 13:12

The one I found on musiciansfreind for $1300 was 3 tone sunburst, but a little too light by comparison. The git color you all want seems more akin to the Fly I just sold. More red color, less "sun/amber" color. The custom pickguard is only $40. To me tho, a strat's a strat, as long as it ain't a Mexican strat. Not a racist remark, there is a factory in Baja. Just....crap. The Squier is just fine, can't tell 'em from an American except the little "Squier" logo next to Fender. The one I bought some years ago is American and blonde. I bought blonde cuz I like the blonde strat Justin Hayward brought out(at that time 1994) for the encore they always use(Yawn....it's too predictable now guys after 15+ years of "Ride My See Saw" being the last song, retire already!;). Prior to that I had to have a red Gibson ES-335 just like his. Big mistake. Although a wonderful instrument, I found hollow bodies have to be held up by the neck since the hollow body weighs less than a solid. If you let go of the damn neck wile using a strap, it slides down like a kid trying to retrieve his dropped ice cream off the floor. I like something that stays "straight" when I let go of it as I'm a piss poor guitar player, so now I stick to solid body. But I gotta give Hayward credit for mastering that instrument. His Gibson was one of the stars of the show.

I like this much better:

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2009, 15:02

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 05 2009, 17:54)
@Yanouch.I'd love to mate except for 2 things.I don't drink alcohol and i really dislike London.If you are in North Oxfordshire though PM me and we'll try to meet up.You have my email address i believe.

Very funny, because I don't drink alcohol either!

:D

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2009, 15:49

Well, I thought it was funny too for another different phrase. Look closer and tell me what is amiss here.....

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 05 2009, 16:31

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 05 2009, 14:22)
I'm a great fan of the lovely PRS Custom 1989...when I saw it on NNOTP 2006 for the very first time live...drove me absolutely NUTS!!!!!!

Are we talking about this one?

Edited by manintherain on Mar. 05 2009, 16:45
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2009, 16:42

Quote (yanouch65 @ Mar. 05 2009, 14:00)
Quote (manintherain @ Mar. 04 2009, 23:07)

This guitar is the most beautiful one I have ever seen. I don't speak about the sound but the look...

I want it!

PS: Mike, could you call me if you sell it, please?

Yeah, it´s a very nice one!

:p

Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2009, 16:54

Quote (Scatterplot @ Mar. 05 2009, 19:12)
The one I found on musiciansfreind for $1300 was 3 tone sunburst, but a little too light by comparison. The git color you all want seems more akin to the Fly I just sold. More red color, less "sun/amber" color. The custom pickguard is only $40. To me tho, a strat's a strat, as long as it ain't a Mexican strat. Not a racist remark, there is a factory in Baja. Just....crap. The Squier is just fine, can't tell 'em from an American except the little "Squier" logo next to Fender. The one I bought some years ago is American and blonde. I bought blonde cuz I like the blonde strat Justin Hayward brought out(at that time 1994) for the encore they always use(Yawn....it's too predictable now guys after 15+ years of "Ride My See Saw" being the last song, retire already!;). Prior to that I had to have a red Gibson ES-335 just like his. Big mistake. Although a wonderful instrument, I found hollow bodies have to be held up by the neck since the hollow body weighs less than a solid. If you let go of the damn neck wile using a strap, it slides down like a kid trying to retrieve his dropped ice cream off the floor. I like something that stays "straight" when I let go of it as I'm a piss poor guitar player, so now I stick to solid body. But I gotta give Hayward credit for mastering that instrument. His Gibson was one of the stars of the show.

I like this much better:

Mike once had a white one!

;)

Edited by manintherain on Mar. 05 2009, 16:54
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2009, 17:35

Quote (ex member 419 @ Mar. 05 2009, 05:06)
Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 04 2009, 11:48)
Oh dear.She's flipped. filthy hobitses. :laugh:

:p yes caveman i have flipped lol! but being a cheeky curious mischevous hobbit is fun....gollums alter ego and i are fighting over the preciousss, maybe mike will throw the preciousss into the abyss lol!   deb

Not Fair Precioussss, it's my Precioussss, we wantsss it Preciousss, I asked first, now nasty Hobbitsessss try to take the Preciousss from me (makes wailing and  swallowing noises "Gollum").

Yes that's Smeagol's alter ego  Gollum there
 :)  :D .

Or I could be like my Elf namesake- whilst she shows the Frodo and Sam of events past present and future in her Elven mirror.  

"And now at last it comes.  You will give me the Telecaster freely! In place of the Dark Lord you will set up a Queen. And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night!  Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain!  Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning!  Stronger than the foundations of the Earth. All shall love me and despair.

(Now back to normal)

I pass the test, I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel.

Or maybe the Ents  could march on Mike's home, many weeks after they've had their Entmoot, and so get Mike to hand over the Telecaster, as I'm sure he wouldn't want to fall under an Ent's  rooty feet.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2009, 20:49

Quote (manintherain @ Mar. 05 2009, 19:31)
Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 05 2009, 14:22)
I'm a great fan of the lovely PRS Custom 1989...when I saw it on NNOTP 2006 for the very first time live...drove me absolutely NUTS!!!!!!

Are we talking about this one?

Yeah baby,yeah \o/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2009, 01:04

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 05 2009, 08:22)

The prs from nnop is also one of my favourites tati, and there is a modified guitar mike played in tb 2, do you know which guitars he sampled? deb
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 06 2009, 08:47

Quote (ex member 419 @ Mar. 06 2009, 04:04)
Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 05 2009, 08:22)

The prs from nnop is also one of my favourites tati, and there is a modified guitar mike played in tb 2, do you know which guitars he sampled? deb

On TB 2 premiere,a camera was installed on that guitar,so we can see Mike's technique a lot better \o/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2009, 10:11

Mike has had only one guitar: the PINK STRAT!

It was his favourite and you can see it in a lot of articles...

:)

--------------

Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2009, 11:26

I would imagine Mr Oldfield could make any reasonably decent guitar sound pretty good.

It's not the guitar that is doing the playing - it just has to be set up well, have a reasonable amount of natural "good Vibrations" and then be put through a bunch of processing box's.

Then comes the fingers.......and the skill.  Without that the guitar is just a pretty lump of wood with some wires attached.

(and that comes from someone who is addicted to guitars (:)) )

Ray

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2009, 04:19

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 05 2009, 20:49)
Quote (manintherain @ Mar. 05 2009, 19:31)
[quote=Tati The Sentinel,Mar. 05 2009, 14:22]I'm a great fan of the lovely PRS Custom 1989...when I saw it on NNOTP 2006 for the very first time live...drove me absolutely NUTS!!!!!!
Are we talking about thi

:D and the gorgeous guy holding it yeah baby yeah! he and the prs must be under your bed this week! dr evil says mini me is after the prs lol, deb
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2009, 04:27

Quote (yanouch65 @ Mar. 06 2009, 10:11)
Mike has had only one guitar: the PINK STRAT! It was his favourite and you can see it in a lot of articles... :)

That pink strat has been in my dreams lately....wish it was on the market...me wantsss that too, deb
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2009, 05:00

Quote (ex member 419 @ Mar. 07 2009, 10:27)
Quote (yanouch65 @ Mar. 06 2009, 10:11)
Mike has had only one guitar: the PINK STRAT! It was his favourite and you can see it in a lot of articles... :)

That pink strat has been in my dreams lately....wish it was on the market...me wantsss that too, deb

Deb...
Take a look at the Tubular Bells II World Premiere DVD in Edinburgh and watch the track Maya Gold. :cool:

FANTASTIC!

In French, we say: c'est génial!

--------------

Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 07 2009, 08:49

Quote (yanouch65 @ Mar. 06 2009, 13:11)
Mike has had only one guitar: the PINK STRAT!

It was his favourite and you can see it in a lot of articles...

If it was his fav ever,why he decided to sell it?

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2009, 11:02

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 07 2009, 13:49)
If it was his fav ever,why he decided to sell it?

My point exactly....  Funny though he kept the PRS....!

I'll be in Rio tommorow......any one there heard of Tubular Bells??

Ray

--------------
Profile PM 
125 replies since Feb. 27 2009, 22:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net