Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mikes favourite guitars, Was the red and white one marc bolans?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ex member 419 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 29 2009, 04:49

Ok my friends how many of you are actively playing in bands? or solo? was mikes music your inspiration to get out there and emulate his playing style? and guitars, ones we dont know about
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 29 2009, 06:10

Never really tried to emulate his style while in a band.Obviously there's a Mike influence in my playing and a wee bit of it creeps in but stylistically it doesn't really 'fit' with anything within the framework of this band.All the electric bands i've been in have leaned towards blues which is where my natural playing is.
 What really got me wanting to play was when i heard blues for the first time.Not white boy blues (although i love early Clapton before he got soft)but the real 50's Chicago stuff.Muddy Waters was and is my favourite of all that genre.
Mikes style is also too damn difficult to pull off smoothly and it's better to try to develope a style which is more recognisably yours than an awkward attempt to play someone elses. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: May 31 2009, 04:32

Caveman you have developed your own  style and it is proving successful, look how far you have come! i agree that mikes styles are hard to play, many nails broken, broken strings and the angst of not getting it right when playing his pieces,but fun
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 01 2009, 08:06

It's fun definately.Figured out another of the solos on Ommadawn last night and had to go through it god knows how many times before i nailed it.Really quite easy technically but the real bugger is getting the grace notes and hammer-ons right.That's why Mikes style is so difficult.The deftness involved in getting those little grace notes in just the right place is really hard work.
 Ultimately it's a good technical exercise to try to learn someone else's techniques and incorporate them into your own (i like grace notes a lot)but not much good if you can't blend them with what you have already.I find some players show off their great new licks (learnt fresh from the latest instructional DVD of online lesson)which sounds great on his own but glaringly out of place when played out of context of shoehorned into a song/setting where it really doesn't want to go.
 The Oldfield equivelent would be trying to play some of the licks at the end of Live Punkadiddle (such a cool solo ending)into an Eric Clapton song.It just will not fit!
 That's why i'm wary of pilfering such recogniable style traits. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: June 01 2009, 18:47

Quote (manintherain @ Mar. 02 2009, 08:51)
Quote (ex member 419 @ Mar. 02 2009, 09:23)
Thanks for that, now all i need is to win lotto and buy the stratocaster! one can dream

Sorry to say but that one's been sold.  :(

And I very much doubt that the lucky owner will ever give it away.

:cool:

But you and I could plan to steal it MITR  :D  :D

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: June 01 2009, 18:49

Quote (yanouch65 @ May 18 2009, 15:29)
It's easy guys....

Take a look at the instruments section.

This one is sold:
http://tubular.net/instruments/photos/PRS_Custom24_2.jpg

This one, beside the Pink one, is in the Bahamas:
http://tubular.net/instruments/photos/Start_PRS_Line6_Bass.jpg

Or maybe under my bed  :D

PRS - Much much more likely to be in my Attic  :D  :D

--------------
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: June 02 2009, 03:51

Quote (Ray @ June 02 2009, 00:47)
Quote (manintherain @ Mar. 02 2009, 08:51)
Quote (ex member 419 @ Mar. 02 2009, 09:23)
Thanks for that, now all i need is to win lotto and buy the stratocaster! one can dream

Sorry to say but that one's been sold.  :(

And I very much doubt that the lucky owner will ever give it away.

But you and I could plan to steal it MITR  :D  :D

Sounds like a plan to me!

Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 04 2009, 10:16

Lol.You nick it and i'll but it.£100 ok? :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 05 2009, 04:19

No way guys, i am on my way to pilfer the sexy little git before you can get your paws on it! lol!
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 20:35

Absolutely love playing the squire strat, mm maybe in ten years i will be as good as jim, caveman, yanouch, mia and of course mike! his playing is unique, the way he uses vibrato to sustain a note! damn he is good! no more broken nails!
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 04:36

Quote (ex member 419 @ June 14 2009, 02:35)
Absolutely love playing the squire strat, mm maybe in ten years i will be as good as jim, caveman, yanouch, mia and of course mike! his playing is unique, the way he uses vibrato to sustain a note! damn he is good! no more broken nails!

It is not hard to be better than me, because as Ray says...

If you don't know what he says, ask him please!

:D

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 06:31

Yanouch my friend i am sure you are a more proficient player than me, have you written or played anything lately?
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 06:52

Quote (ex member 419 @ June 16 2009, 12:31)
Yanouch my friend i am sure you are a more proficient player than me, have you written or played anything lately?

I am afraid you are wrong.
Ray always says: It is shame you don't play...

I disagree with him, but it is his opinion. Mine is different!

--------------

Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 06:58

Quote (ex member 419 @ June 16 2009, 11:31)

Yan has 11 fingers and 14 thumbs and I cent remember how many on his other hand.  (:))  (:))

He doesnt play but only because he knows he will never be able to play like Mr Oldfield.    So I can support him in his statement that he doesnt play.

I allways say to his (to try to encourage him ti play his nice guitars) that he should play or should learn to play.  but he smiles and ignores me!!

Unlike me - I will never be able to play like LO but I have been trying very hard for 30 years......  So when i visit Yan I play his guitars for him - with some tunes he recognises ..... mostly.

But still I say  -  Yannich  - It's a shame you don't play...

:D  :D

Ray

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 09:02

Yannick you really should at least give playing a go.You have a wonderfull guitar to start with.If it helps the Gibson SG/Les Paul Junior which you have was initially concieved as a cheaper alternative to the full blown Gibson SG/Les Paul Standard to help encourage people to learn to play without having to spend so much money to get started.So what you have is what Gibson termed a 'student model' or a beginners guitars.
 There are very very few people who can play like Mike.As Ray says he's been playing for 30 years and still cannot play like MIke.I've been playing for 25 years and i can't play like Mike.I'm sure Ray can play a fair bit of Oldfields stuff and i can do a passable impersionation of some bits but that's not the point really.
 Guitars where made to be played.When your guitar came from the Gibson factory in Kalamazoo all those years ago it was destined to be played by who ever had it first and then Mike bought it in 1975.It's now passed to you so why not use it?After all the guy who had it before you had to start somewhere and he had a crappy Futurama II to learn on (trust me-horrible thing).
 Having such a great guitar but not playing it is a bit like having a wonderful car sat outside your house and not learning to drive. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 09:09

Quote (The Caveman @ June 16 2009, 15:02)
 Having such a great guitar but not playing it is a bit like having a wonderful car sat outside your house and not learning to drive. :laugh:

A friend of mine collects watches and never wears them!
;)

By the way, there is a nice cars museem near where I live and they never use them...

Some people play it, like Ray or a friend of mine who is a guitar player. Some fans played it in the past as well...
So, don't worry. It is used....but not by me!  :/

:)

--------------

Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 09:17

Ok.I just wouldn't be able to resist learning with that guitar.
Actually as it is i know i'd never leave my flat cos i'd be playing it all the time!You have the one guitar i want more than any other.I have loved the SG Junior for years because it is such a good looking and great sounding guitar and the first one i heard was yours.
 At least ,evenf your not playing it,it's well loved and looked after. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 09:39

Quote (The Caveman @ June 16 2009, 15:17)
Ok.I just wouldn't be able to resist learning with that guitar.
Actually as it is i know i'd never leave my flat cos i'd be playing it all the time!You have the one guitar i want more than any other.I have loved the SG Junior for years because it is such a good looking and great sounding guitar and the first one i heard was yours.
 At least ,evenf your not playing it,it's well loved and looked after. :laugh:

Don't worry. The guitar is very well loved and looked after by the biggest fan in the world.  :cool:

As I said in the past, you can come here and play it for a while... ;)

By the way, the SG has just told me: " I am very happy to be here with yanouch, because he's a great fan. Moreover, he looks after me very well and I don't want to go anywhere else, even on Isle Of Man!

--------------

Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 11:23

Lol.It speaks Italian too!What a wonderful guitar! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 13:45

Quote (The Caveman @ June 16 2009, 17:23)
Lol.It speaks Italian too!What a wonderful guitar! :laugh:

Why Italian? I live in the French part-speaking of Switzerland!

:(

--------------

Profile PM 
125 replies since Feb. 27 2009, 22:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net