Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's comments on Ommadawn< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Pendleburn Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 11 2002, 08:08

In a 1979 interview with Melody Maker which can be found on the following site: www.oldfieldmike.de Mike says the following:

"The end of the first side of 'Ommadawn' is the sound of me exploding from my mother's vagina..."

I have yet to hear Ommadawn and am curious to know how the first side does end. What do you think?
Profile PM 
Pikalcazar Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2002, 12:16

:O !

The first side ends with lots of bongos playing at the same time (listen to XXV if you haven't got Omma), but I don't think it reaches that extreme! wink

(So confussed) Pickal.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 12 2002, 19:44

I think Mike was referring to the ending section in general, rather than the very end with the African drums...

Mike discovered via the Exegesis therapy that he went through in the mid 1970s that many of his problems stemmed from him not having liked the experience of being born.

The ending of Ommadawn part 1 is a release of many of the deeply troubled feelings that Mike was experiencing at the time (he underwent Exegesis after the recording of Ommadawn, and half way into the recording of Incantations) - the feelings of fear and torment that he believed had been placed in him at the moment of his exploding from his mother's vagina...

...or something like that
Profile PM 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2002, 10:52

>>"The end of the first side of 'Ommadawn' is the sound of me exploding from my mother's vagina..."

So THAT'S what that big squishy sound is!
Profile PM WEB 
dgcaer Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2002, 10:11

The sound that he talks is surely the sound just before the fading african drums at the end. It's sound like "Booing".
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2002, 12:23

Maybe the bongos represent his heartbeat after being born (or born again maybe!!).

That's the first time i've heard Mike's description of the last part of Ommadawn - now I can listen with a whole new lot of depth (ahem!)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2002, 03:08

... I wouldn't mind, but I don't think listening to the preceding 18 minutes of Ommadawn part 1, prior to the 'exploding from the vagina' is exactly hard 'LABOUR'!

wink

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 24 2002, 13:05

I don't know...you have to push the CD into the player, push play...sounds like you have a fair bit of pushing to do (Push! Push! Uh-oh, I'm turning into Robert Plant...) wink
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2002, 18:06

...as long as you don't push the wrong button and EJECT too early... We don't want any premature exploding...lol. wink

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
8 replies since Feb. 11 2002, 08:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net