Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's clean guitar sound< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Antonuzzo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 16 2009, 04:34

Following on from the earlier thread... any advice on obtaining that lovely fat clean sound that Mike gets?  I've tried boosting the treble and using compression but aren't any closer.

I've got one of those VG-8EX units so if anyone can offer advice, I'll be more than happy to post the patch!
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: May 16 2009, 21:25

Korgscrew, caveman, yanouch can you give our newest member some advice? l am not an expert on this one! try the tub tech tabs section too, deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 04:27

Hmmmm.Early or later?Early i belive a Fender Twin was part of the equation.Korg?

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Antonuzzo Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 08:48

Later - TB2 and onwards.  It sounds very effect-free... thanks for taking an interest folks!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 18 2009, 08:54

That will be one for Korgscrew.But as a pointer i know he didn't use any amps by this point and was using a channel taken from the orginal desk used to make TB rack mounted and some pretty good digital processors.
 Guitars were strats and PRS's mainly.
Oh great Korg,keeper of the wisdom of Mike technical jiggery pokery,help us out mate! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 18 2009, 09:26

Sorry! I was leaving this one until I could work out a more specific answer...but here goes anyway...

You're right that it's fairly effect free, Antonuzzo. If it's that glassy Strat sound you're after, there's really not a lot to it - it's just a Strat recorded direct into the desk, usually with the middle pickup selected. Mike used an input module that he salvaged from the Audio Developments desk from The Manor when they threw it out to help with that sound (it had a mic preamp, compressor and EQ in it), but I find that various compressors and EQs can get you in the right ballpark. Having a decent DI box helps, so you don't lose any sparkle or sustain from loading the pickups. You might find you want to boost the extreme high end a bit, but equally, you might find with some guitars that they need a bit of taming up the top end (especially in the upper mids) so they're not head-splittingly bright. You'll probably find that it needs to be a bit brighter than you feel is comfortable if it's going into a mix, though, otherwise it'll come across as dull and recessed once everything else is laid on underneath it, but it's a delicate balance and possible to go too far with disastrous results!
You can play with things like the compressor's attack time to suit what you're playing - he quite often does seem to have quite a fast attack time set, so it squashes the very beginning of the note. I'd probably go for quite a heavy ratio, but not so heavy that it squashes all the life out of it (same applies to setting the threshold...there's a happy medium to be found, which depends a lot on how you're playing it - the best thing is to get to know how the compressor behaves so you can quickly get what you want out of it).

I think a lot of it is in the way he plays it too, you could pick up Mike's guitar going through a signal chain he'd set up himself and make it sound completely different (you can get a very country-esque sound with the same setup, or something more Knopflery, maybe even a bit jazzy or no doubt a whole load of things I haven't even considered trying).

I hope there's something helpful in amongst all my vagueness!
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 21 2009, 09:30

:p korgscrew you are a genius, to know how mike creates that clean sound, its so complex, thanks for the comments, now to try one or two techniques, deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 22 2009, 09:13

If you get even close let me know.You can come over here and teach me! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 23 2009, 01:27

Will have fun trying caveman, unfortunately i dont have mikes equipment or technique, so it will be for personal enjoyment only or is that total frustration cause its hard to nail? you are better at it than i caveman, too modest! how did the mixing go?deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 23 2009, 04:17

Getting there Deb.Go to myspace.com/coopersfear .There's one track on there in almost finished state.We put it on cos we'd had people bugging us to get something available.It's not finished but i was persuaded to let it go.
 I'd be happy to be able to play the sailors hornpipe frankly.
Dunno if anyone else has mentioned it but really light gauge strings are essential to get Mike's thing.He's been known to use 8 guage strings on the Gibson's and 9's on the Strats.
Try to play the solo on TB part 2 after the Caveman song (as previously mentioned i will not give the parts names ala 2003 cos it's 1 peice of music to me).There's a part where he bends up to a high E on the top E string.Relatively easy on my strat even with my preference for heavier strings but then factor into it that my strat like most modern guitars has 22 frets and Mike was using a late 60's Telecaster which had only 21 frets and it becomes much harder.Light strings would be essential to do this.
 I can't use them cos i break them.I use very heavy picks and even 9's snap like straw so i use 10-52 guage.Much better for me cos i play lead and rhythm and the heavier bottom strings coupled to a fairly high action make for a bigger sound.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 23 2009, 05:00

Will have a captain cook at your link, thanks for advice on guages for strings, mike does use high and low e a lot, will give it a go, post your rendition of sailors hornpipe, love to hear it! deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 23 2009, 07:04

Go to the My Tracks thread.Dirk's put a quick link to our site on it.
 I think you misread my comment on the hornpipe.I wish i could play it but it baffles me everytime.I can play along on rhythm but buggered if (i know) i can get the melody. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 23 2009, 21:50

Hornpipe would be great to play but its hell just to nail one part, and the tempo changes, bloody difficult i dare say lol, mike has that to himself, probably still  laughing thinking of others trying to play it! deb
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 23 2009, 21:51

Hornpipe would be great to play but its hell just to nail one part, and the tempo changes, bloody difficult i dare say lol, mike has that to himself, probably still  laughing thinking of others trying to play it! deb
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 26 2009, 22:02

Actually mike never laughs at anyone willing to give playing a go, down to earth and no b.s. what you see is what you get with mikes music, hard to play like him,  the man has my respect, deb
Profile PM 
14 replies since May 16 2009, 04:34 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net