Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's classical style< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
zinc Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 15 2000, 12:19

I think Mike should work on a classical style work and release it as a full length album. He has always loved classical music, from Sibelius to Delius,from an early age and some of his best work has a definate classical feel. I'm thinking of Mont St Michel and most recently of course things like Lake Constance and Sunlit Uplands. In fact the classical influence is prominent in many of his recordings really. Not only with Tubular Bells but also Incantations, Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge,The Killing Fields etc. Do others think bits of Mike's music sound like other classical composers-if so name them and what type of album should he make-an opera type thing perhaps or full orchestra and choral stuff?

Let me know

Adrian Major

Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 29 2000, 21:41

Yes, there is certainly a feeling in Mike's music which is similar to that of some, especially British, composers, though these are not 'classical' composers in the strict sense of the word. Apart from Sibelius and Delius whom you have mentioned and who are, of course, obvious, there's also some Vaughan Williams and Holst stuff, maybe Grieg, Debussy, and he himself mentioned the second movement from Ravel's piano concerto (the one for both hands, not 'pour la main gauche') as an influence for Hergest Ridge. Have I forgotten something? I guess I have.
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 28 2001, 16:57

I always thought that the theme from Hibernaculum sounds like something known as 'The Flying Dutchman'. But I may be completely wrong (as always...) -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 28 2001, 17:35

After some research: Yes, I was wrong. No connenction with Wagner. What I thought of, is 'The Barbarian Birthday Dirge' which must have a connection with 'Wolga Boatmen'. Both traditional, not classic. Sorry for messing up this topic! -Carsten-

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
Marky Offline

Posted: May 08 2007, 03:21

I thought this long-lost thread deserved ressurecting, as Zinc must be pleased that his wish has come true albeit 7 years later. If this is a successful album - critically speaking - then it could well pave the way for Mike to do more work of this nature after all, in his later years his own dexteriry as a performer will decline and the need for virtuoso musicians will be greater if he wishes to compose wonderful music without the technology. Its a way to extend his career with a more marketable audience even if its not generally a mass audience.

Lets see.... many things may or may not happen! As for his style...I have a feeling we'll all be surprised!
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2007, 02:01

Quote (Marky @ May 08 2007, 03:21)
I thought this long-lost thread deserved ressurecting, as Zinc must be pleased that his wish has come true albeit 7 years later.

Yes, zinc, where are you with an entitled 'I told you so'? In a couple of months, we'll get to hear the classical MO and I'm very excited.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 18:07

I think we all are on this board  :D  A very exciting time. The critics and the lovers are out in full force, and as usual the scurry and surge of activity is happening once again.

I can remember a similar episode for L+S, which as we all know was recieved with mixed opinions by the fans.

Classical music is a genre I think needs some revitalisation. That's not to say anything good hasn't been done recently... there's stuff out there of a high quality... I'd personally just like to see more of it  :D .

I've liked classical music for a very long time; it was my first musical interest at least 5 years before Mike ever came onto the scene for me. I like that there are many different mechanisms in classical music for expressing emotion; there's what i term "sarcasm", (ref: The Blue Danube) gaity, bombastic prominance and delicate gentleness, sadness and sorrow also. I'll be interested to see how those facets of the genre translate to Mike's compositional style.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2007, 14:16

Quote (arron11196 @ Sep. 09 2007, 18:07)
I can remember a similar episode for L+S, which as we all know was recieved with mixed opinions by the fans.

During my recent research for the "Quotable" thread, I got caught up in a few of the discussions from that period. It's interesting that, in general, the early reactions are a lot more positive for MOTS than they were for L+S. I suppose, being a L+S lover, it's just as well that I missed that skirmish. :D

there are many different mechanisms in classical music for expressing emotion; there's what i term "sarcasm"

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here, arron. Can you give an example?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 25 2007, 21:14

I was wondering where MO might go from MOTS and it occurred to me that in using previous 'Tubular' elements in his latest work, it might have been a case of going with something familiar for his initial foray into somewhat new territory (composing a large orchestral piece). This makes me wonder if - in continuing with orchestral work - his next piece may be more experimental. I was also curious if his experience working with Jenkins was a good one and if he'll use him again or another orchestrator for future projects. Then again, Mike may surprise us by putting out Bass Guitars next, making this all moot.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 17 2008, 04:59

Quote (Marky @ May 08 2007, 03:21)
If this is a successful album - critically speaking - then it could well pave the way for Mike to do more work of this nature after all, in his later years his own dexteriry as a performer will decline and the need for virtuoso musicians will be greater if he wishes to compose wonderful music without the technology. Its a way to extend his career with a more marketable audience even if its not generally a mass audience.

I'm also hoping for more orchestral works. IMO, 'classical' music offers a broad scope for creation, and I like to think that Mike is up to taking advantage of it.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2009, 05:03

Mike has produced a truly original, but classical orchestrated masterpiece, he was moving towards this genre in voyager and of course tb 123, pure genious, he will write more, after all this is our mike, deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2009, 10:27

As i've said i don't see him actually stopping but i reckon he'll lean more towards the classical stuff.In purely sales related terms MOTS was the most succesful thing he's released in years so it would make sense to pursue it.Now TB4 would be interesting in this vein.A kind of Orchestral TB for the 21st century.It would be a bit of a wasted oppertunity but interesting.My hope would be to hear him combine the 2 styles (orchestral and electric)into a new peice.Maybe in place of the clssical guitar we could have his signature electric sound.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2009, 22:22

Electric guitar and orchestral...doable...mike is skilled in sampling techniques for guitar, but it would not satisfy him as a musician, he likes to work with clean sounds and has moved away from sampled music like that from tb3    deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2009, 10:08

And to be honest i'm glad he has.Sampling guitar sounds is all very well but isn't a patch on the real deal.The sampled stuff to me sounds artificial and it doesn't make much sense (to me anyway)to sample an instrument that he has such a staggering technical ability on.He's always said that the only instrument he can play with any proficiency is guitar (although i'm sure most of us would dispute that),so why sample it to play on a keyboard?

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2009, 11:39

I pondered that very question the night in 1992 I listened to TB2 for the first time. Your use of the word "patch"used to be synonymous with "preset". In 1992 we still had ROM sample patches that were 16 bit, some great saxes and stuff, but guitars...not too great on a "rompler" synth. What MO did took a lot of effort and time and for that era, the absolute best samplers with the most memory you could buy. It actually took him more time to sample so many different guitar samples with so many parameters to set, pitch bends, on and on.......than it would have really been easier to just play them by hand into a multitrack. Perhaps he already had most of the samples prior to recording TB2 and then used sequencing software. Sometimes I wonder if the samples weren't commercially purchased, then tweeked to his satisfaction. But I don't think so. I think they are him. And I think he did it because he liked his stuff "written out", quantized precisely. I still have more unanswered questions about that fine album. Maybe Korgscrew has some answers?
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2009, 02:47

:laugh: knowing mike he is probably tinkering with pieces he never had released, give him 6 months and another masterpiece will be in the offing...deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2009, 05:05

I was thinking of this last night.Imagine MOTS with electric guitar.We've had the studio version,we've had the live version (the best)and now.......drum roll.......MOTS Electric.
I think it would be quite interesting.It would have to be the quieter,cleaner electric tones ala Maya Gold as opposed to Ommadawn type tones though.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2009, 05:35

I agree caveman, ...and now for mots unplugged! thanks also scatterplot for the tech info   deb
Profile PM 
17 replies since Oct. 15 2000, 12:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net