Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's Best Album Of The Eighties?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Man In The Rain Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 20 2003, 17:13

OK so Five Miles Out seems to be one of the most popular releases of Mike's between Ommadawn and Amarok. I've always loved it from the moment I put the vinyl on my turntable and saw Taurus II filled a whole side.

Listening to it now, it seems so bursting full of ideas. Mike sounds really 'confident', I think he was enjoying having a proper band at that time. At parts I always imagined toy soldiers walking across the clouds, a storm breaking, and a tremendously bright rainbow after the storm. I'd love to make a full video for it. I also think Orabidoo is beautiful, that glockenspiel lullaby is gorgeous, and the lyrics of that song with the acoustic backing is heartbreaking. So delicate and sweet, I think the instrumentals would be great to play for very young children to listen to.

I also disagree with what some others have said about Mount Teidi, calling it pointless and even their least favourite Mike composition ever! It seems to evoke travelling on holiday to someone new and hot and fun and exciting, it feels like you're soaring over the tropics! The songs Five Miles Out and Family Man have aged really well, and still sound fresh and exciting. Ahhh I just love this album - go put some headphones on and listen to it again!!! Beats QE2, or Crises, or Discovery, or The Killing Fields, or Islands, or Earth Moving any day!!!

It's interesting to note that Five Miles Out invented the sound that Stereolab went on to popularise in the 90's, and yet I've never heard any critic name it as an influence. Whatever, Mike was there first - yet again!

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2003, 06:38

Oh yes. Five Miles Out was one of the first MO albums I ever heard, and I have always loved it. Taurus II is one of his more rockier instrumentals, and I especially love the beginning, and the ending is also really good. It does seem to have a lot of different ideas in it: before you know it you're listening to a different tune- and it all fits perfectly. That's the beauty of it: it all fits seemlessly into one big track.

Of course, this was the first of Mike's albums to have one long track and several shorter tracks on the other side, which has always been my favourite format for an album. Family Man is probably my least favourite song off the album: it just seems too much like a pop song. Orabidoo, on the other hand, is truly amazing. After a slow start, it soon picks up, and I just love the strange synth bit. The acoustic song, while a bit too quite, is also beautiful. I also like Mount Teide, it is a very quite and relaxing song, and great for listening in the car.

The title track is one of the best of all Mike's songs. Slightly strange to listen too for the first time, and a bit more guitar would be nice, but the bits that are there are amazing. Awesome song, and fitting in nicely with the theme and mood of the album. All in all, one of the very best of Mike's 80s albums, and a worthy classic.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Brewer Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2003, 06:13

Whilst I wouldnt be able to say if it was his best album of the eighties, I agree that Five Miles Out is certainly the one of the best "Songs" MO had written. I can only think of "On Horseback" being better. Again I agree about Oribadoo and as for Mount Teide, I dont know were ppl have said it is his worst but for me personnal i think it is the best "3 Minute Track" MO has ever written. It has a similar build up as Ravels Bolero. Starts off very quietly and builds up to a cressendo at the end. I has always loved the drum riff on Mount Teide (Carl Palmer, Emerson,Lake and Palmer fame) was guest on this. AS for taurus 2, i love it but i prefer Crisis. I thin the weakest track on this album is deffo Family Man. But if i was to Build a Best of the 80's album, i would have to include 3 of the 5 tracks on this album, leaving (and only because I prefer Side 1 of crises) out Taurus 2 and Family Man.

--------------
Maker of MOs favourite beverage

No trees were harmed in the creation and sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2003, 05:03

Five Miles Out is a good album, though certainly not as good as QE2... though I must say I find the album to be a bit incoherent in CD format. The songs don't really fit in very well with the instrumentals on the B-side. Never the less, if you ignore how well the songs work together, Taurus II is the best piece of music I have ever heard, Family Man and Five Miles Out are two of Mike's best songs (the drums on the former are simply magnificient), and Mount Teidi isn't too bad either. The weakest moment on the album is Orabidoo... it simply isn't as good as the rest of the album, or as good as the other 'lullaby' songs (Molly for example).
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: April 03 2003, 08:48

This is the first ever record that I bought and still has a special place for me. Taurus 2 is my most played Mike piece!
I love it for its energy and variety without losing its wholeness. I love the pipes bit especially.  ;)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: July 08 2003, 16:15

I was listening to this album last night, and didnt realise just how much i really enjoyed it, i agree it is his best 80's release and upon hearing it again for the first time in a while i got thinking of how much the structure of mikes music has changed his most recent release's seem to be more thrown together, from about voyager onwards, i still enjoy these albums but there seems to be less heart and feeling in them, almost like the technology has taken over too much, i would love to think that mike would go back to recording with the passion and emotion that fueled the majority of his albums, and who knows maybe he will once warner spain have finished "using" him.
Records like Five Miles Out, Crises and Hergest Ridge just re-affirm the fact that mike has always had the talent to make outstanding music, it's just that technology makes it too easy to loose feeling's that were once used to power his music.

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 14 2003, 14:47

I wasn't expecting much from Five Miles Out the first time I listened to it. And I wasn't any surprised. Taurus II is ok, but I think it's a bit uninspired and very predictable. I'd take Platinum any time of the day over Taurus II. It has thick, intricate arrangements, guitars, bagpipes, but what else? Too little substance to me, I pass.

I love Family Man, though. But then, I'm a complete sucker for Maggie Reilly's singing. But I like the song on itself, though. It's bouncy and quite catchy. And the title track is truly great. Very dynamic and varied, and the ending portion is tense and moving.  As for Orabidoo, the best parts are easily the beginning and the ending. Those vocoderised vocals annoy me a lot, and the stormy middle portion isn't as good as some other stuff on the album.

One thing, I heard that the theme of Mount Teide is the same used by Jethro Tull on Elegy. Anyone confirm this?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Jamie S Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2003, 09:20

I think this album is great -certainly the best of the 80s albums that I have heard. I'm not overly keen on Taurus II, but it does have some good moments. Both Family Man and Five Miles Out are really good - very unorthodox style pop songs - but thats why they're so good. I don't really like the Vocoder bit for the first 7 mins of Oribadoo, but the second half is just fantastic. I quite enjoy Mt. Teidi, it has quite an unusual rythm and sound to it.  This album ,IMHO, is best played loud through speakers rather than listening quietly to with headphones. Any MO fan who has not yet experienced this album should certainly do so - you won't be dissapointed!  :)
Profile PM WEB 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2004, 13:35

i totally love five miles out!, it is one of my favourite mike albums.  i would love to see mike do another album in the same vein
Profile PM 
8 replies since Feb. 20 2003, 17:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net