Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's belief in Tubular Bells< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Major Gowen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 23 2008, 01:33

Sorry to stray this thread further into XTC land, but I can only concur with the above comments about their rubbish CD re-issues. Although these are works of art compared to London's CD reissues of Joy Division and New Order's albums in the early 90s - cheap and nasty doesn't begin to describe it. The sleeves looked like they'd been put together one afternoon by a couple of work experience kids with a photocopier.

Anyway, back onto topic before it's too late ... regarding Mike Oldfield/Richard Branson/Tubular Bells, I would say Branson strikes me as someone who believed in the aesthetic qualities of TB but also believed in its ability to sell vast amounts of records. So he should be applauded for giving TB and Mike a home as it were, although points should be deducted for later nudging Mike aside when it appeared other acts could make as much cash. When I was reading Changeling, I got this image of Richard Branson as a constant shadowy presence, always lurking in the wings.

I think it was appropriate that Mike gave the lion's share of his autobiography over to Tubular Bells, as I think it was the musical summation of him as a person at that point, it is him and he is it. It was also an admission that, outside of the true fans, it's what he's known for.
Profile PM 
ForeignAffair Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 22 2012, 12:15

Quote (bee @ Feb. 20 2007, 18:46)

But what I like to think is that the tubular bell image is of the start, the very beginning of a spiral. An ancient symbol, very important to the Celts, & a lot to do with life. Three interlocking spirals, a triskele, relates to the sun, the afterlife & reincarnation. That bell shape always makes me think of a triskele. Spirals are often found in relation to the Mother Goddess, and also in relation to earth, water and sky. Life, death and rebirth.

well, but it's just a heart shaped tube  :p
Profile PM 
21 replies since Dec. 21 2006, 17:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net