Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike's Back Catalogue Goes Classical.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 13 2009, 05:24

Ok so we've all had a lot of discussions about MOTS and the new classical direction Mike has taken.
 So what would happen if some of his back catalogue was arranged for orchestra?Anyone got ideas of what would (or even really wouldn't)work if arranged for orchestra?
My 2 starters would be the non orchestrated bits of The Killing Fields.Specifically Evacuation.Or even harder to imagine maybe Platinum.Any ideas?

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
bob Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2009, 05:37

I would love to hear an orchestral Incantations which I think would work wonderfully as a fully orchestral piece, as its half way there anyway with the strings ,flutes etc.
I would not like to hear  Any of the songs from Earth Moving (actually I probably would not want to hear most of this album again anyway)
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2009, 06:00

I remember reading a review of The Killing Fileds when it was released,that said the main theme from the movie would`ve sounded great adapted as a tone poem.Unfortunatly I don`t think you really hear enough of it on the actual album.Or it`s certainly not explored as much as it maybe could have been imo.Mike decided instead to try out all kinds of things in the end really,most notably on the Fairlight of course.As a listening experience it`s a little bit all over the place,both in mood and texture.Maybe an "orchestral suite" utilising some of the themes from the album would be very interesting I think.And I have to agree with The Caveman, I would love to hear Evacuation scored for orchestra.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2009, 07:59

I think the "song" side of Islands would sound just awful as orchestral pieces. Imagine Flying start! The Time Has Come! Christ, how mediocre these songs would sound.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2009, 10:15

Amarok.Can you imagine the discussions...."ok how do we score a Ferrari?Errrrrr maybe the cello could play it?Ok so what about a duck call?". :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 13 2009, 10:39

Well, Alarm Will Sound has an album of orchestral covers of Aphex Twin. Maybe they could be up to the challenge of Amarok? I'd pay to hear it!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2009, 11:34

I'd like to hear an orchestral version of Enigmatism with the guitar and flute melodies sung as a duet in Spanish, Italian or Russian by classically trained singers, male and female.

It would be so classical. Just try singing Enigmatism. I do it a lot with jibberish lyrics and dramatic hand movements.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 13 2009, 16:57

I would love an orchestral version of "caveman" from TB I...

I imagine that Animal from the Muppets could perform it while going crazy on bongo-drums  :D
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2009, 17:49

I would rather Mike did versions of Orchestral Classics - like he did with William Tell, than hear orchestral versions of his own stuff.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2009, 19:15

I reckon all these suggestions will give mike food for thought, i love classical light pieces like claire de lune, deb
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2009, 19:29

Quote (prisoner.of.the.dark.sky @ Mar. 13 2009, 22:57)
I would love an orchestral version of "caveman" from TB I...

This already exists, and it's absolute shit [IMHO :D].

@ Harmono - Nice idea on "Enigmatism" - yes, it would sound awfully good with nonsense vocals à-la-Adiemus. Other pieces from Guitars, I think, would sound great in orchestral arrangements - especially "Muse", "Summit Day" and "Out of Mind" (Yes! Just remove the drums and it sounds great all the same! :p).

What I cannot understand, and I will never get to understand, is why everybody here seems to hate the Islands songs so much. "Islands" (the song) is my second-favourite vocal song of all time (#1 is not Mike's) and I can't honestly see why it wouldn't sound good, or at least convincing, in an orchestral version. I think an opera soprano could do an excellent rendition of it.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2009, 19:57

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 14 2009, 01:29)
@ Harmono - Nice idea on "Enigmatism" - yes, it would sound awfully good with nonsense vocals à-la-Adiemus.

Of course it would sound good. :) But it wouldn't have to be in jibberish. I don't speak Spanish, Italian or Russian. That's why I sing in Nonsense Jibber-style. The point is that the melodies have to be SUNG. The language makes no difference. Well... I do prefer the languages already mentioned.

Edit: Did edit
Profile PM 
11 replies since Mar. 13 2009, 05:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net