Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: mikeoldfieldlightandshade.com< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 17:24

Well I'm one of the lucky people that did actually manage to find a copy of L+S here in the UK on Monday. I guess its just the luck of the draw whether you get them or not, but like I said I really wouldn't worry about missing out on anything special, with the bonus tracks that is  ;)

Just to add to my last post- It's strange that we're now debating on whether or not a song sounds better with a human voice or a computer one.  EXTERMINATE-EXTERMINATE. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE  etc etc.

Sorry
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 17:29

Aah, another Doctor Who fan. My kind of guy. ;) ahum sorry.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
don_alfonso Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 22:51

:zzz:
Profile PM 
don_alfonso Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 23:09

...humm... this is my first one... just testing! One, Two, Tree!! Testing!
Profile PM 
don_alfonso Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 23:16

Hello everyone... i´m don_alfonso... some call me Pedro  :p but to the point. I´ve read all your post for years and now i think the time to say something has arrive. I´m from Portugal, born on early June 1973 (ring´s any bell?). I´ve see Mike on stage for 3 times in different tours. He´s my "beacon" since 11.

2 decades listening one of the most creative musical genius from all time. So, i think i´ve catch the maturity to say a few words about Light & shade.

I got the album since 2 weeks ago - don´t ask! - and i think you all create too much expectations and for that reason the result of your judges will always be afected by them.

It´s like G. Lucas and his new Star Wars. Everybody expects it will bring us the best movie of all time... and give us... Jar Jar Bink´s ... or the future Floyd´s reunion... for playing once again... "Shine On".

Things are...like they are... Mike is walking on his own trends, like he wants and enjoy it. He´s nothing to prove to anyone. He does the things he like, enjoying the process of creation, touching in new "toys" like any child when recieve a new one.

A musician like him that had create a piece of art like "Tubular Bells" or "Amarok" (and beteween... many others) has done for any statements on is own.

Life is simply... if you want. So it´s the process to recieve music and place it on our heart, mind, soul... to be an OST of your life.

You all know Mike ( i guess! ). His brilliant! Music will be on him for decades... and after him (and us) it will continue making soundtracks for dreamers for centurys and centurys.

I´m happy with Light + Shade. Of course it´s not his best work - neither the worst - but brings us a very peacefull Oldfield like no other time.

You´ve got to put off your tecnicians and comparisations judges. Listen the album with heart. There´s so much Oldfield in there.

"Blackbird"... if this track, for example, was recorded and include on one of the first works probably you all say that´s an eternety master piece. But, this track is really on Ligt... maybe 20 years from now you all say... uaaau One of the  best tracks ever from Mike.

if you listen now, right now, QE2 or Platinum... you may find these one´s a litle boring... Mike himself has this opinion. But there´s Oldfield on this old one´s. .

I´ve make a compilation with my best tracks from Light+Shade+Tr3s Lunas... and some tracks from the games that are not on those ones and i´ve got 80minutes of a brilliant music. I went to beach one of these sunsets, put that compilation on i.pod and... i´ve got there an amazing time.

Noboby does it like Mike. Every note his a breath from a genius. With or without synths, or vocoder, real or digital drums or piano.

His now with 52. You have to think on that. The spirit to work with real instruments is a mindless memory, pluggin all cables, and amps, and mics... and thousands of buttons...errr... be there, done that!

Everything is on an box, and... probably, one of these days, he wake´s up and think "humm... why not see how are the "old box".

For now with 2 computers, 2 mouses, guitars by the seat... and fresh toys... without lost the touch and everything is more... easy!

This album is an excelent reason - forget "Romance" - to bring Mike again on the road. I put my money on that!!

There´s the track list to the next tour from Mr. Mike Oldfield

Before the opening... 30 minutes with just random synth chord´s with some touches from a piano playing notes from well know chord´s from his old ones... subtil  ;) & than...

01)Angelique (mix the finale with...)
02)Let There Be Light
03)Cochise
04)In The Pool
05)Ringscape
06)Daydream
07)Tears of an Angel (mix the finale with)
08)Only time will Tell
09)Resolution (mixing at the same beat with...)
10)Weigthless (with "rock" beat on drums)
11)Blackbird
12)Jewel in the Crown (with Amar of Course!;)
13)Surfing
14)Our Father (short acoustic version with sample vocals)
15)Resolution
15)Crystal Clear
16)Four Winds (with powerfull drum´s and grand finale!!!;)

Encore 1
17)Crises (Shortly & reviwed cover - like Omadawn on last tour - strong drum´s on ending)

Encore 2
18)Tres Lunas - Acoustic spanish/chill version - and mix to...
19)First steps

Last one on stage
20)Spirit Dance - deep/dramatic mix to...
21)Return to Origin... fading to the first chords to Piano of "Tubular Bells"... until Fade to Black
Bonus) Mike alone on stage playing "Sailor´s Hornpipe"
___

In the right venues, with the right musicians, with the right lightning show... this is a tracklist to make a new history.

Cheers
don_alfonso
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 00:22

dreaming is free!!!  :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 01:18

What a lovely idea though don alfonso, do you have a nice big moustache?

I am going to take my time and go through every album in order and pick all my favourite segments, (I still can't name them from memory). And make 'my' perfect LIVE concert. I would be tempted to pick all heavy pieces which may spoil the whole mood and if it does I am up for the challenge of finding the right mellow pieces to add inbetween.

Have you actually put all your choices together don and had a listen to it?

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 02:16

I understand the fuss over the synthetic vocals, but I also understand the like for them.

Myself, I like them.  They are different and that's why I lik them.  Not to many musicians, aside from techno, have experimented with virtual vocal software.  And, as I understand it, this is a relatively new concept in music.  

Surfing is about the internet... wouldn't it be appropriate to have vocals that sound mechanical, when, after all, the internet is nothing more than a mechanical junk yard of information!?!?  

Ok onto Resolution... the screaming virtual girl is a bit over done and obviuosly fake when he gets too high on the synth, but it is different and that's WHY it works!

All of Mike Oldfield's albums have had, in some form or fashion, an experimental approach.  This is just, I feel, another step in that experimental pond.  He has ALWAYS been a bit ahead of his time, out of time, as if the Doctor forgot to set the coordinance again and dropped him in the wrong time stream!  

"It's been 12 months not 12 minutes... Sorry!"  - Chris Eccleston

Cheers
Christopher

PS My only complaint on this album, being a piano player myself, is WHY did he use such a cheap sounding piano sample on some of those tracks?  It ruins them!!!!!!!!!  I OWN a Motif... stop using the piano from it... it sucks... I know... I own one!!!!!  Everything else on it is fantastic though!!!! :)  

PSS Has anyone noticed that the TB3 keyboard sound from Source of Secrets is heard in the background of SUNSET half way through?  I was happy to hear its return :)
Profile PM 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 02:58

Quote (christopher @ Sep. 30 2005, 02:16)
Ok onto Resolution... the screaming virtual girl is a bit over done and obviuosly fake when he gets too high on the synth, but it is different and that's WHY it works!

When I first heard it I thought it was really cool... but now the obvious falseness of it gets on my nerves. IMHO he'd have been better getting a real live singer to do it, just like he did on the song Earth Moving (when she sounds like "she's having an orgasm" as Mike said [paraphrased] in an NME interview at the time).

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 05:58

Hello everyone... i´m don_alfonso... some call me Pedro  :p

I´ve read all your post for years and now i think the time to say something has arrive. I´m from Portugal

Well that's quite some enterance.
Your post was so enjoyable to read IMO,and as for the concert tracklist-that would really be something,even in dreams :) and all ending with "Sailors Hornpipe" as well,in the way that you describe.

The new release L+S album is start of a new chapter for M.O,I really don't care if the sounds on it have come from fruity loops,loopy loops,metal dustbin lids,or whatever else.I just like what I hear,and enjoy.

IMOP to hear traditional instruments played live/recorded,cannot be surpassed but I must admit to thinking how"virtual voices"is one of the most exiting new sound effects to discover.

BTW don_alfonso DO you have a big moustache then?!

;)
Profile PM 
don_alfonso Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 07:17

Hello Again...
No i don´t have a big moustache!! But in fact my real name is Pedro :p Ok, thanks for your mentions. Just one thing: I´ve chose that track list for a "possible" new Oldfield Tour just to make sense with the latest works and of course because it´s in a good mood to promove the new album. Make sense and it will do an good concert for an DVD... ok ok i´m dreaming, but that´s the way it is, or else life was such a boring trip...
Profile PM 
willy Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 08:32

Quote (don_alfonso @ Sep. 30 2005, 07:17)
Hello Again...
No i don´t have a big moustache!! But in fact my real name is Pedro :p

Do you have a thousand buttons then, Pedro? :)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 11:01

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Sep. 29 2005, 22:00)
I'm suprised you think the vocals on Surfing are better than a real voice. I think they are nice but they sound so "cold" and "mechanic".

Yes, but that's exactly what I mean - like it or not, it's a unique sound. I don't think it would be easily possible to get a real voice to sound so robotic, if that's the desired effect.

If they were singing Moonlight Shadow, I'd say the human singer is definitely better, but I think that, as Toby said, Surfing relies on that strange mechanical sound.

Dare I say that the best thing for Resolution (aside from having a real singer in to do it - in the case of that part, virtual is definitely not better) might have been a theremin?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 13:02

Actually Resolution is the one track which I think could have been a real rocker if he'd cut all the synth crap out entirely and gone back to basics with it, live drums etc. The guitar lick is superb once it gets going beyond that plonky start.

Anyway the real reson I'm here is to tell you that promotion for L+S has started here in the UK at long last. Big full page spread in the new Record Collector magazine right at the start anouncing 'the new album from the master of ambient - Mike Oldfield' No review inside though.
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 13:53

While listening to L+S  and hearing vocaloid voices for the first time,did begin to recall the sound of the theremin and for a moment was imagining how it might work really well ,if someone could mix a track using this sound(only fairly recently even knew what this instrument was,or heard the sound of it,and talking about a new original track,not from L+S).

As for Surfing track,don't think human voices would have worked either.So glad to have kept an open mind about the new ideas  & never would have thought "real' voices could be replaced like this but - amazing results IMO(wouldn't like to see this happen too much though,or could become very scary ) :O  :)
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 14:14

Piano on the Motif sucks???? are you kidding? There very good.

I am getting to like Nightshade more and more and love Lakme.That would go well in the music charts and even Cream events.I have just finished a dance track for a music library and beleive me, its not easy.I still am not 100% happy with the end result but you live and learn.
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 19:33

Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 30 2005, 17:01)
Dare I say that the best thing for Resolution (aside from having a real singer in to do it - in the case of that part, virtual is definitely not better) might have been a theremin?

That's a very good point. It's an instrument Mike hasn't used yet, and would have fit well into Resolution.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tubular Freddie Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 02:03

:)

I recieved my copy of Light + Shade yesterday. I must say that Mike really done an exciting album, but also that I miss the "old"  played-by-hand-instrumentalist Oldfield.  But I´m not looking back !
This album is truly a treat and worth the wait.  :D
Almost every song grows on you with repeated listening.

Sunset is a very beautiful tune, which I feel with lyrics, it easily could have been a "Moonlight Shadow"-ish kinda popsong.  
Mike´s own deep backing vocals dubbed with Vocaloid on "Surfing" is great. "Resolution" is an outstanding piece of music.

Now, can we have a tour please, Mike ?

--------------
"Going on means going far. Going far means returning "

Dao Te Ching
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 04:45

I can't see Mike ever using a Theramin that would after all be REAL eletronic music experimentation rather than just using the same old keyboard presets he appears to. (and even naming your tracks after them)
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 06:11

Know this is a bit off topic here but now in desperation! had tried to ask elsewhere on tubular board,whether or not M.O had played the theremin at any point in his career(not moaning btw,as know eventualy someone would probably respond).
Did make me wonder even more just now though ,because he so obviously likes vocoloid,and it's not too far and away really is it? Or perhaps I've not heard enough of both as yet to compare.
Profile PM 
124 replies since Sep. 22 2005, 10:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net