Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: mikeoldfield.com artists list, Who do you like?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 05:45

Quote (Dirk Star @ Jan. 27 2010, 03:07)
.Some of Pink`s videos are kind of addictive I have to admit,she should make a musical.

I wonder if Pink at least partly decided to call herself that after the well known line in Pink Floyd's "Have a Cigar" - "Oh by the way, which one's Pink." Perhaps she could do an album called Pink Sings the Floyd. Alternatively, David Gilmour could do a record of Pink songs. I can actually imagine him singing "So What". (For the record the only Pink song I've heard that I like is "Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)", which I think is quite witty and carries a fair amount of emotional sincerity.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 06:17

Yeah Pink`s alright,I think she`s a cut above a lot of current rock/pop orientated solo artists for me.Her videos are always kind of sexy and amusing and over the top.Plus as well as having the whole attitude/ego thing,she seems to be up for taking the mick out of herself a fair bit.I don`t know where the name comes from?She used to write a lot of her songs with Linda Perry who was in 4 Non Blondes,I don`t know if she still does?It was just announced this week that she`s playing a big gig over at my football team`s stadium in the summer.I`m sure she`ll be a big hit.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 06:23

Quote (Dirk Star @ Jan. 27 2010, 11:17)
Yeah Pink`s alright,I think she`s a cut above a lot of current rock/pop orientated solo artists for me ...... I don`t know where the name comes from?

wikipedia is your friend (assuming the entry is correct! ): "Pink remained at LaFace as a solo act under the stage name Pink, which was a nickname given to her because friends say she would blush when she got embarrassed."

Not sure what to make of her myself but I'll grant her stuff seems a bit more original and catchy than a lot of other songs around.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 07:41

Pink blushing ay?..It just goes to show she`s a big softee underneath it all.When you`re out drinking Pink has that kind of Gloria Gaynor/I Will Survive effect on great hoardes of slightly inebriated teetering high-heeled women up and down the country.As soon as I realise it`s one of her songs coming on I usualy make my execuses and head off for the toilet flaccid ego in hand.Either that or I`ll sing along with the rest of them in a slightly post modern/ironic kind of way.It all depends on how much I`ve had to drink myself really.And whether or not I`ve been dragged up by the wife so she can shuffle about,mime abuse and point at me.She a real fine mover.        :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 08:04

Quote (Dirk Star @ Jan. 27 2010, 07:41)
Pink blushing ay?..It just goes to show she`s a big softee underneath it all.When you`re out drinking Pink has that kind of Gloria Gaynor/I Will Survive effect on great hoardes of slightly inebriated teetering high-heeled women up and down the country.As soon as I realise it`s one of her songs coming on I usualy make my execuses and head off for the toilet flaccid ego in hand.Either that or I`ll sing along with the rest of them in a slightly post modern/ironic kind of way.It all depends on how much I`ve had to drink myself really.And whether or not I`ve been dragged up by the wife so she can shuffle about,mime abuse and point at me.She a real fine mover.        :laugh:

She reminds me of Suzi Quatro more than anyone else: that delight in coarseness for coarseness' sake, coupled with the occasional softer moment. If you compare, say, Quatro's "The Race is On", with Pink's "Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)", you'd be forgiven for thinking they're by the same person.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 10:05

And if Suzi`s "coarseness" was`nt enough to put you off,her husband was that mean looking bloke on the guitar.T`Pau tried to copy the template with the mean husband on guitar thing.But seen as how Carol Decker was`nt anywhere near the same league as Suzi,he was pretty much superflous to requirements.They could`ve had John Inman on guitar and nobody would`ve given a toss.Yeah I liked Suzi,and then she appeared in Happy Days and even wore a skirt once..It completely blew my mind man  :p More recently Suzi did a rock n` roll radio show over here.I don`t know if she still does it,as I hav`nt listened to the radio regurlarly in ages.She had a great voice for radio though,and told some great stories along the way.Yeah Pink`s like an updated version of Suzi,I agree with that.
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 10:41

Come back Mike - they're debating the merits of Pink, Gloria Gaynor and Suzi Quatro now!!! :O

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 16:47

:laugh: We`re plummeting new depths,things are getting desperate..Just a word on John Inman,as thinking about it now it`s a real shame he never got to be in T`Pau..Apparently he was free at the time as well.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 17:33

Quote (Dirk Star @ Jan. 27 2010, 21:47)
:laugh: We`re plummeting new depths,things are getting desperate..Just a word on John Inman,as thinking about it now it`s a real shame he never got to be in T`Pau..Apparently he was free at the time as well.

Oh dear... I think that's me over and out for the night then!  ;)

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 20:08

Quote (smillsoid @ Jan. 27 2010, 10:41)
Come back Mike - they're debating the merits of Pink, Gloria Gaynor and Suzi Quatro now!!! :O

This is the "other artists" forum, so why not?

It would be interesting, using the six degrees of separation idea, to find the closest link between those three people and Mr O. I was looking up the progressive band Jade Warrior not long ago, and I was surprised to find that Jon Field of that band played on Tubular Bells.
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 20:38

Why not?  Because it's like a broken pencil.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 23:33

Quote (smillsoid @ Jan. 27 2010, 20:38)
Why not?  Because it's like a broken pencil.

Not really. Like it or not, pop is a continuous spectrum, covering everything from Pink to Pink Floyd. Some would have it otherwise, of course, adopting a kind of consensus-without-rules viewpoint to assign some pop people the tag "quality" and others "rubbish". But as Zappa pointed out, pop music criticism is redundant; it has to be, by definition and by virtue of the presence of that crucial word popular. Ie, you like it or you don't; end of story.

Bryan Ferry made the same point - hilariously - on his first solo album, wittily titled These Foolish Things. On it, Ferry places a cover version of Lesley Gore ("It's My Party") side by side with Bob Dylan "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall". Equally hilariously, Ferry doesn't change the sex of "It's My Party", as many would have done. You have a grown man giving voice to the attitudes of a teenage girl!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 04:47

This lady has wrote a musical with Suzi Quatro & Willie Rushton..And also sings as part of "the sassy choir" on Heaven`s Open..

Alan Schwartzberg top L.A. session drummer who plays on Mike`s Platinum album also plays on Gloria Gaynor`s I Will Survive.

Mike Oldfield used to own a pink guitar..   :p
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 05:43

Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 06:04

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 07:24

:D I watched that the other night on t.v. for the first time in ages,amazing how many people you know are in it.And how ridiculously young they all looked...Toyah was all over him man,what was he thinking of?
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 08:00

It's all on a 'continuum', with no such thing as quality, eh?  I see.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 08:18

Here's my continuum -

Mike Oldfield
^
^
^
Pink Floyd
^
^
^
Madonna
Johnney Cash
^
Rolling Stones
^
Britney Spears
Pink
Robbie Williams
^
^
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Shikira
50 Cent (not heard of)
^
^
^
Mariah Carey

"It is what it is" - to quote Ivana.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 09:25

Quote (Dirk Star @ Jan. 28 2010, 04:47)
This lady has wrote a musical with Suzi Quatro & Willie Rushton..And also sings as part of "the sassy choir" on Heaven`s Open..

Alan Schwartzberg top L.A. session drummer who plays on Mike`s Platinum album also plays on Gloria Gaynor`s I Will Survive.

Mike Oldfield used to own a pink guitar..   :p

Very impressive Dirk! The sequence of motorbike photos make their point most wittily too!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 09:30

Quote (smillsoid @ Jan. 28 2010, 08:00)
It's all on a 'continuum', with no such thing as quality, eh?  I see.

Try asking a professor of music and he'll politely tell you that with the exception of a couple of songs by the Beatles "quality pop music" is an oxymoron. Melody, for example, was already considered passé in the early twentieth century. Even sampling, which is considered so modern and adventurous, was exhausted by Stockhausen back in the sixties. (His work Hymnen, for example, samples umpteen national anthems, much to the annoyance of several countries.)

Life's too short. If I enjoy something, that's enough.
Profile PM 
49 replies since Jan. 25 2010, 06:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net