Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: mikeoldfield.com artists list, Who do you like?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 25 2010, 06:35

For the past week or so, mikeoldfield.com has been out of action. It currently displays a list of other artists we might be interested in. For the record (assuming it gets fixed at some point), here is the image currently presented:

So, of the official Mike website artist suggestions, who is your favourite ;)

Me, I'll have to go for Pink Floyd, with Britney a close second (ok, joking about that last bit! )

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 25 2010, 07:08

Hi Matt are these artists signed to Universal/Mercury? Universal have input to Mike Oldfield. Com. Probably a nifty marketing tool to net MO fans, and buy albums. Mike probably lets Universal manage his web site for him these days.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2010, 09:07

I wonder if Mike knows about this?And if he does will he be happy?There's only one band on there that's of anywhere near the same ball park.And it isn't Britney f*ckin Spears!!!
 He's probably spitting feathers. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2010, 13:14

That recommendation list makes me laugh!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2010, 13:39

Its just a standard page you get when a site goes down, or the domain name is being saved by someone but not being used at the moment. The host just puts it up there to fill in the space. You get that same picture on lots of other sites aswell.Here's one that I think tesco must have saved for themselves, incase they want it in the future.

--------------
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2010, 13:50

Now I've visited the site, I see it has this text at the top

The domain mikeoldfield.com has expired. If you owned this domain, please contact your domain registration service provider for further assistance. If you need help identifying your service provider, visit http://domainhelp.tucows.com.

I take it that this means that either Mike has forgotten to pay his subs, or hes just given up that site completely. If the latter is true, I'm surprised www.mikeoldfield.org is still up and running, as it is really outdated. I suppose he gave up on these sites and moved to that tubular 2009 site, but I suppose thats outdated aswell now. This also means that if this site is closed for good, the Music VR games are now no longer available, unless they are made so elsewhere.

--------------
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2010, 18:18

Mike Oldfield.org has not been updated for at least two years. If Mike has dropped Mike Oldfield.com what message is that sending us? That he isn't interested in paying for a site not subsidised by his fan base. Is this site next? I know he doesn't give a toss what we think, a bit arrogant. Remember that when he wants to sell those albums to us, unchanged and at a huge mark up. I am very disappointed in his dismissal of the people who gave him a nice standard of living. Come on Mike, it bloomin well isn't right.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2010, 18:48

Quote (MVR Superstar @ Jan. 25 2010, 13:50)
I take it that this means that either Mike has forgotten to pay his subs, or hes just given up that site completely. If the latter is true, I'm surprised www.mikeoldfield.org is still up and running, as it is really outdated. I suppose he gave up on these sites and moved to that tubular 2009 site, but I suppose thats outdated aswell now. This also means that if this site is closed for good, the Music VR games are now no longer available, unless they are made so elsewhere.

Time to save my copies of the games to a flash drive, then, just in case.

Perhaps MO thinks he's gone as far as he can with the internet/technology and is now moving back to more traditional media. The existence of Music of the Spheres would seem to support this. I, for one, hope not. To me MotS sounded very old and tired.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2010, 00:28

I suppose we have to wait for word either from Mercury or Mike. Matt and other admin please keep us posted.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2010, 08:10

I'm guessing he's not as interested in running a website (or indeed offering MusicVR content) as he once was. He's presumably now got other things to occupy his time what with having a young family and a boat...

It's a shame though. I really enjoyed that period of time when he seemed to be 'into' mikeoldfield.com - providing us with all the MusicVR stuff, a cool site and even at one point a forum and an auction area. I really miss all that and I hope (although it may be in vain) that someone will get it all going again on his behalf, even if the man himself doesn't want to be bothered  :/

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Herod Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2010, 10:43

I definetely fell in love with the blonde girl....

--------------
The last 80 seconds of 'Amarok' are one of the reasons for being happy to live in this planet.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2010, 11:02

Quote (ex member 419 @ Jan. 25 2010, 18:18)
I know he doesn't give a toss what we think, a bit arrogant. Remember that when he wants to sell those albums to us, unchanged and at a huge mark up. I am very disappointed in his dismissal of the people who gave him a nice standard of living. Come on Mike, it bloomin well isn't right.

Hey - what's getting into you again with Mike - leave him alone!

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 26 2010, 11:11

As Korgscrew said in his news posting the other day (here), Universal know about the problem with mikeoldfield.com and said they expect to have it sorted before long. In the meantime, I just thought it'd be fun to see what people thought of the suggested artists that are currently in it's place  ;)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2010, 19:19

Hi Wiga, I understand if you were offended by the comment I made, but I stand by what I said. Sometimes it helps to lose the rose coloured glasses and see things as they really are.....and Mike really doesn't give a toss! Refer to Q Magazine October, and Mojo Magazine 2009. Mike made it crystal clear what he thinks.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2010, 19:30

Quote (ex member 419 @ Jan. 26 2010, 19:19)
.and Mike really doesn't give a toss! Refer to Q Magazine October, and Mojo Magazine 2009. Mike made it crystal clear what he thinks.

What did he say in these magazines?

Matt: the most interesting aspect about the list of artists is the apparent haste with which it was put together. Is there only one Red Hot Chilli Pepper now? What happened to the others? An attack of capsicum spray?  :D
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2010, 20:13

Hi Nightspore I hate rehashing negative stuff, but here it is, not my words, but Mike's: in Q Magazine Mike admitted he "hates music" and "his siblings live in another world" and "musicians hate me and I hate them" If Mike is of this mind set then obviously fans are way way down on the priority list. He can't get on with his own family. In the Interview prior to the release of the Ultimate Edition Mike said "I don't have any friends" and " he has a team of lawyers for all sorts of problems, and you can trust them because you are paying them" I think its so sad that he has alienated himself from his own family, has no friends, and trusts no one. Obviously still a very unhappy man. Lets hope his immediate family give him the love and acceptance and understanding he craves. Fanny loves him and has given Mike two boys that Mike adores and a life away from the pressures of the Music Industry where he was taken advantage of. I wish him the best as we all do, but his integration with his fan base is not as important to him now, pure and simple.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2010, 21:24

Quote (ex member 419 @ Jan. 26 2010, 20:13)
Hi Nightspore I hate rehashing negative stuff, but here it is, not my words, but Mike's: in Q Magazine Mike admitted he "hates music" and "his siblings live in another world" and "musicians hate me and I hate them" If Mike is of this mind set then obviously fans are way way down on the priority list. He can't get on with his own family. In the Interview prior to the release of the Ultimate Edition Mike said "I don't have any friends" and " he has a team of lawyers for all sorts of problems, and you can trust them because you are paying them" I think its so sad that he has alienated himself from his own family, has no friends, and trusts no one. Obviously still a very unhappy man. Lets hope his immediate family give him the love and acceptance and understanding he craves. Fanny loves him and has given Mike two boys that Mike adores and a life away from the pressures of the Music Industry where he was taken advantage of. I wish him the best as we all do, but his integration with his fan base is not as important to him now, pure and simple.

How sad... Actually MO sometimes reminds me so much of myself; perhaps that's why I'm so drawn to his music.... Also I always wondered why there was such a feeling of loss and sadness in Light and Shade and the Maestro game - now I know why. Thanks for posting.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 02:01

I feel awful for causing you to feel down Nightspore. It wasn't my intention and we do have the re issues of HR and Ommadawn to look forward to. Plus the Mike Oldfield.com site will be updated soon. Its a tense time for all of us. We all love Mike's music and look forward to hearing something from him. Many of you have been fans for many years and I apologise for seeming insensitive at times. I never intend to criticise any of you, and respect your opinions. I don't have it in for Mike either. Lets look forward to better days.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 03:07

I like The Who & Pink Floyd,plus some stuff from The Rolling Stones,Johnny Cash,Madonna & Fatboy Slim.Some of Pink`s videos are kind of addictive I have to admit,she should make a musical.I think the Red Hot Chilli Peppers ran out of socks.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 05:42

Quote (ex member 419 @ Jan. 27 2010, 02:01)
I feel awful for causing you to feel down Nightspore. It wasn't my intention and we do have the re issues of HR and Ommadawn to look forward to.

You didn't, I was just surprised, that's all. I thought Mr O had sorted out all his problems.
Profile PM 
49 replies since Jan. 25 2010, 06:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net