Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike-What kind of gear?, would like to know< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
emanuel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 15 2007, 17:05

Hi,
Does anybody know what kind of guitar and effects uses Mike Oldfield?
I have always wondered of his guitar sound-his mild and tender touch and the gear he uses to attain it.

emoguitarmusic
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2007, 11:00

Hmm. hes used a lot of diffrent gear through the years as far as i know, I've given up on his websites as I've yet to find anywhere for reputable informtion on his gaer - hence my attempts to get him posted on "Guitar Geek" - a website that should list every noteable guitarplayer there is - and if he isnt there, we can request for guitargeek to get his info

My guitar geek posting on tubular

check that post out where i attempted to get tubular people to request his gear setup, only a few got around to doing it.

Dont hold your breath though.

I can tell you what guitars he uses, thats about as far as i know

He at the mo uses a PRS custom and a PRS hollowbody, and his beloved fender strat (pink) but its really a faded feista red as far as i know.

I've heard he uses hard compression to get his tone, but dont hold me to that.

but as the great satriani always said "Tone is in the fingers" - so you're pobably best just developing your own!

i took a look at your website also, very nice!! I use a similar guitar to you - an Ibanez EDR470EX ergodyne, it was maunfactured before the S series if i remember correctly.

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 21 2007, 14:15

I can only forward you to the instrument list on this website. We are doing our best to add to the list for there are so many new details available at the moment.

Despite the sale of his guitars last year Mike has kept quite a few ones including 2 PRS, both Stratocasters and some more electrics.

A couple of years ago he switched from an old Roland GP-8 processor, which he called the Glorfindel box, to the VG-8.

In addition he plays his guitars still using a rack with effect units, using channels rescued from the mixing desk of the now abandoned Manor Studio in which he recorded Tubular Bells.

He used that on the Nokia Tour last year as well and I had a chance to take a quick look at it.

:)
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2007, 17:33

Quote (jonnyw @ Mar. 21 2007, 16:00)
Hmm. hes used a lot of diffrent gear through the years as far as i know, I've given up on his websites as I've yet to find anywhere for reputable informtion on his gaer - hence my attempts to get him posted on "Guitar Geek" - a website that should list every noteable guitarplayer there is - and if he isnt there, we can request for guitargeek to get his info

My guitar geek posting on tubular

check that post out where i attempted to get tubular people to request his gear setup, only a few got around to doing it.

Dont hold your breath though.

I can tell you what guitars he uses, thats about as far as i know

He at the mo uses a PRS custom and a PRS hollowbody, and his beloved fender strat (pink) but its really a faded feista red as far as i know.

I've heard he uses hard compression to get his tone, but dont hold me to that.

but as the great satriani always said "Tone is in the fingers" - so you're pobably best just developing your own!

i took a look at your website also, very nice!! I use a similar guitar to you - an Ibanez EDR470EX ergodyne, it was maunfactured before the S series if i remember correctly.

Hey Jonny,

didnt he sell the Hollowbody in Feb - It's listed under PRS guitars on the main Tubularnet web page??

Surely he couldnt afford to buy a new one!!

Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2007, 18:32

i thought he kept it!

:(  i liked that one too

aww well, i stand corrected

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2007, 18:47

I've had one for about a year, funny but it is exactly the same body colour as the one he had! R   - nice to play though - even unplugged for practive - the thing is sooo light.  you almost don't notice it's hanging round your neck!!!  And so elegant.  R

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2007, 05:31

I've had one for about a year, funny but it is exactly the same body colour as the one he had! R   - nice to play though - even unplugged for practive - the thing is sooo light.  you almost don't notice it's hanging round your neck!!!  And so elegant.  R

I WANT one

...always loved PRS. they were this amazing, distant, unreachable guitar to me for years (in most music stores they are hung right on the higest part of the wall :D )

But i finally had the chance to play a custom 22 about 5 days ago...

then three days ago a mc carty soapbar in amber.

and i really love them.

are they worth the price tag?

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2007, 07:48

For the synths fans like me,check this out:

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2007/03/mike-oldfields-ob-xa.html

with pics here
http://flickr.com/photos/matrixsynth/sets/72157600010223273/

BTW,I don't remember that the PRS Hollowbody was sold also last year,I thought it wasn't,but when Mike appeared with a white Fender Stratocaster @ NNOTP doing the job that the Hollowbody did...thought it was a bit weird for me!

One thing I don't know is why Mike used the new white strato instead of the classic red one he played on the rehearsals fro the Proms...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 24 2007, 22:48

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 24 2007, 12:48)
One thing I don't know is why Mike used the new white strato instead of the classic red one he played on the rehearsals fro the Proms...

It may be there is something special about the white strat. This may be unrelated but Fender recently released the "Roland ready" Stratocaster which has all the technology to hook up to the Roland guitar processors and MIDI converters built in to it (rather than sticking a pick up on the body.
Profile PM 
8 replies since Mar. 15 2007, 17:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net