Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike the man, as opposed to Mike, the legend.....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bennyboy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 14 2001, 12:24

Have any of you read the "Mirror" article on this site yet?

Mike Oldfield is one of those artists whose genius in his chosen field of endevour fills me with awe and wonder. He is also one of those artists whose "legend" I prefer to the reality of the man. Oldfield, seems for all his success and wealth to be quite a troubled soul, to say the least. Retreating from the harshness of the limelight, yet still yearning to be loved by all. Leaving a string of young broken hearts behind, romance lost to workaholism and "alcahol-dependance" as he himself put it.

Yet here I am. Almost ten years. I have all his albums and eagerly await his next, I am still a fan. I see something in Mike's art that a lot of the music press fail to realise. I see someone incredibly versatile, both when it comes to the technical side of playing instruments as well as composing. I see an artist who is not afraid to fly in the face of convention and blend different musical styles together. Mike's music is truly unique, it's singular vision is awesome. I can't help but admire this talent, admire a man who overcame a difficult childhood to become a mega-rich rock star at age 18. Someone who has the courage to make music on his own terms. That is Mike, the legend.

Mike's music has made me laugh, and cry. It has helped nurse me through my own depressions and doubts. It has given me hope. It has made me think about big things. It has opened my eyes to new avenues of creativity and inspired my own imagination.

This is why I love Mike still, in spite of himself. Is that what true fandom is? Seeing your artist as a rounded individual, a human with faults, yet still being able to appreciate their art?

Perhaps it is true what they say about great art being born out of great suffering. As well as being a Mike fan, I am a fan of Michael Jackson and Charlie Chaplin. Again I see two troubled souls, perhaps contemptuous as individuals, whose art has moved me incredibly.

Yet, despite being able to differentiate the myth from the man there is a part of me that still yearns for the fairy-tale ending. Mike and Fanny overcoming the odds, finding strength in themselves and living happily ever after. I guess it's the romantic and the fanboy in me. I don't know.

But I still await Mikey Boy's next album with baited breath and will now go off to watch the video of Oldfield's greatest work "Tubular Bells III". So farewell for now.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 14 2001, 16:57

«Is that what true fandom is? Seeing your artist as a rounded individual, a human with faults, yet still being able to appreciate their art?»

I don't know either, Bennyboy. Maybe, because of the fact that I am a musician myself, I love Mike's music and I tend to care a little bit less for Mike the man. But the artists' personal problems always strike an interesting note in me, because all troubled artists create great art, and I think you know something about this. wink

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
1 replies since Oct. 14 2001, 12:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net