What Model?

--------------
OLDFIELD MUSIC
Profile PM 
Mateusz_PL Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 17 2005, 12:37

He use in solo game :) hard or light strings
In My guitar i have 10-52 its good string to play .
maybe i should change for ligthts ?

--------------
OLDFIELD MUSIC
Profile PM 
mikex Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2005, 12:42

If you are happy with your strings you shouldn't change them.

I use 9's for my electric (Ernie Ball Super Slinky), 12's (Martin's) for my steel strung acoustic and D'Addario for my classical.

For more information on Mike Oldfield's guitars, see here:

http://tubular.net/instruments/

:)

--------------
Anthropolologee, upstairs and inside a revelation is blinking well baffling!
Profile PM 
Mateusz_PL Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2005, 12:48

Whitch one will be better for me....
Hmmm I play on my guitar for 1 year .
And A can play Moonlight Shadow Solo But I Cant pinion String I dont know mayby i should change strings for lights?

--------------
OLDFIELD MUSIC
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 17 2005, 13:36

He uses 9-42 gauge on his electric guitars. At one time it was Fender Rock n Roll strings that he used, but I think it's probably something else now. If you don't like the brand you use at the moment, try some different ones to see which suit you and your guitar best - what works for Mike might not work for you.

Changing to lighter strings will help you make bends, but practise will help too! Remember also that the type of guitar you have will affect how hard it is to bend notes (and how it feels in general). Especially important is the distance between the bridge and the nut of the guitar (the scale length) - if it's longer, like on Fender-type guitars, the strings will feel tighter than on a shorter one, like a Gibson. Some more modern designs, like the PRS, use a scale length that's somewhere between the two. So, while light strings might be a bit too loose-feeling on a guitar with a shorter scale length, they might be just right for you on a longer one. I think Mike uses 9 gauge on all of his, and takes full advantage of the difference in feel between them.
Profile PM 
Mateusz_PL Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2005, 14:21

thx I Must Bys What kind of strings You Can Prefer me?
What firm strings ? Ernie Ball or D-Dario 9-42 will be good

--------------
OLDFIELD MUSIC
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 06:11

RS: What kind of strings are you using. Do you have a special selection of strings?

MO: I used to. But I have to have a look in the string box! (laughter) I used to be very fussy about strings, y’know? I always used to use Fender. Yeah, I use Fender with a 9 on the top and a 15 on the third. Just to be honest, I used to be a bit of, obviously, a guitar fanatic, but as the years go, I don’t really play very much in my spare time. I don’t sit and practice. When I need to play because I’m making a track, I pick it up and just play it. It’s still there. I do love my guitars. I’ve got some beautiful ones. But I’m not so fanatical about them as I used to be. I have a guitar technician. When I start a project he comes up and spends the whole day setting up the frets and restringing them, making sure they’re all beautiful and then that’ll last me that album, the whole setting up of them.

He used to use 8's - Fender Rock and Roll, on most guitars, but 9's on the red Strat to get a clangier tone.
Profile PM 
Mateusz_PL Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2005, 08:44

Im useing 12-52 Ernie Ball Top Heavy Skinny Bottom!

P.S
Wher i can faind Heaven's Open Midi???

--------------
OLDFIELD MUSIC
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2005, 05:43

Guitar Player interview '79 - Mike used Fender extra light Rock And Roll strings on Electrics guitars, Guild Light for Acoustics, Savarez bottom strings and Augustine high strs. for Classical guitars, Gibson Medium for the Gibson EB3 Bass and Rotosound Light for the Fender Precision and Zemaitis Acoustic Bass

Acoustic Music Dec'80/Jan '81. Mike said he used Rotosound Swing Bass for the Zemaitis Acoustic Bass

Guitarist Sept '84. Mike said that on Electrics he used .08 to .038 (didn't say which make) on his Strats and Les Paul TV, a slightly heavier gauge strings for the red Strat (didn't say which make or gauge), Guild Light for Acoustic and 12 string guitars, and Rotosound Swing Bass for Bass Guitar.
Profile PM 
Mateusz_PL Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2005, 13:17

Thx Mar

Wher Can I Buy Rock and Roll Strings?

--------------
OLDFIELD MUSIC
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2005, 06:04

Not sure if Fender still make them. Check Fender's website.
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2005, 19:20

Quote (David Mar @ Aug. 19 2005, 11:43)
Guitar Player interview '79 - Mike used Fender extra light Rock And Roll strings on Electrics guitars, Guild Light for Acoustics, Savarez bottom strings and Augustine high strs. for Classical guitars, Gibson Medium for the Gibson EB3 Bass and Rotosound Light for the Fender Precision and Zemaitis Acoustic Bass

Acoustic Music Dec'80/Jan '81. Mike said he used Rotosound Swing Bass for the Zemaitis Acoustic Bass

Guitarist Sept '84. Mike said that on Electrics he used .08 to .038 (didn't say which make) on his Strats and Les Paul TV, a slightly heavier gauge strings for the red Strat (didn't say which make or gauge), Guild Light for Acoustic and 12 string guitars, and Rotosound Swing Bass for Bass Guitar.

A bit of forecast...

Computer Music interview, Oct. 2005...
"Huh... Guitars? Oh, those things with strings atached... I don't really play one since the 90s. Well, maybe someday, if they release a model with copy&paste ability..."

:p  ;)

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
bonkers Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2005, 19:29

erny balls 10's are perfect for a fender stratocaster
Profile PM 
Taurus Outcast Offline

Posted: Aug. 30 2005, 15:17

yeah, 10's are nice on a strat, anything lighter sounds a bit thin and sloppy
found some very nice acoustic strings the other day D'Addario EXP (Extended Play Phosphor Bronze Strings). bit pricey, but well worth it.  They are coated in some kind of magic coating, they feel very nice and are bright sounding, best ones ive found so far.

lots of people favour different makes/guages of strings, my advice would be just to find one you like, and suit your playing
Profile PM 
Mateusz_PL Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2005, 15:46

oki thx its anathor barell i sherching some of kind special multi efekt. Whitch will be good. What effect is popular and wher ?

--------------
OLDFIELD MUSIC
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 17 2005, 18:02

It would be better if you start another topic for your question about effects, Mateusz, otherwise things will start getting confused here!
Profile PM 
15 replies since Aug. 17 2005, 12:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net