Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfiled- Music videos, I had no idea he made his own videos.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Silver Negus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 27 2009, 17:32

I found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUwAyykKYjs

It may inerest a lot of you.  Well I suppose it shows the multi talented side of his personality.  I wonder how long he spent learning how to produce and edit and use blue screen ( although now a lot more people use green screen) and make these music videos.

I suppose on a more profound level it co-incides with the composing side of his nature, I suppose you can look upon editing like that.

In a recent evaluation I did for my media course, I said that to me, editing is like a 'dance', you go through a lot of stages before you end up with the final cut, and end up with a flluid edit.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Sep. 28 2009, 05:00

Quote (Silver Negus @ Sep. 27 2009, 23:32)
I found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUwAyykKYjs

It may inerest a lot of you.  Well I suppose it shows the multi talented side of his personality.  I wonder how long he spent learning how to produce and edit and use blue screen ( although now a lot more people use green screen) and make these music videos.

I suppose on a more profound level it co-incides with the composing side of his nature, I suppose you can look upon editing like that.

In a recent evaluation I did for my media course, I said that to me, editing is like a 'dance', you go through a lot of stages before you end up with the final cut, and end up with a flluid edit.

Well, I have known it at all along....it is natural for him, I think.

I'm just guessing here, but I think "pictures"/visions and emotions are the prime motor for MO to make music - to express himself with music.

When I - as a listener - hear his music, I get pictures and emotions from the music - the other way around one could say..
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 28 2009, 08:43

That's great! Good find Silver....

I've always liked the Shine video. Interesting to hear Mike talking about timing etc. I've always loved the way he uses timing in the "chess board" bit of the video (starting about 8:40 in Silver's youtube clip but stopping just before the best bit with Mike kicking the chess pieces! ). Brilliant!

Anyone know what this excerpt is from? A telly series? This clip ends cutting to a female presenter but I can't spot a logo?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2009, 11:11

The "To France" video was bad. Really bad. You want both sides of this coin don't you? If, in an alternate timeline, I was a rock star, my videos for MTV or the English equivalent would be a recording of the live performance on stage. I'd pick the best one, closest to the record. No imagery of rivers, fire, no unplugged electric guitars held high in a silly posture. Just the best live performance on video with a regulation hit-song length and closest to the album. My 2 cents worth.
Jimbo
PS: I was like 21 when the MTV came about. I thought 98.006% of it was silly. Gimme live, gimme concert footage. No lip sync. The real deal. Or no deal.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2009, 16:11

Quote (Scatterplot @ Sep. 28 2009, 11:11)
The "To France" video was bad. Really bad. You want both sides of this coin don't you? If, in an alternate timeline, I was a rock star, my videos for MTV or the English equivalent would be a recording of the live performance on stage. I'd pick the best one, closest to the record. No imagery of rivers, fire, no unplugged electric guitars held high in a silly posture. Just the best live performance on video with a regulation hit-song length and closest to the album. My 2 cents worth.
Jimbo
PS: I was like 21 when the MTV came about. I thought 98.006% of it was silly. Gimme live, gimme concert footage. No lip sync. The real deal. Or no deal.

Yeah tecnologies have moved on a lot especially editing software etc.  The videos that he did then are very dated by today's standards.
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2009, 16:59

Quote (Matt @ Sep. 28 2009, 13:43)
Anyone know what this excerpt is from? A telly series?

This was The Saturday Morning Picture Show on BBC with presenter Mark Curry. The catalyst for Mike's adventure into video production was Pete Claridge of CAL Video Graphics. Mike spent a lot of money setting up a home studio with camera, 1" video machines, editor and Quantel video effects machine. The culmination of this investment was The Wind Chimes which was conceived as a Video Album even though the music (Islands album) came out before the video.

He sold the equipment at a huge loss some years later. A portable Nagra 1" video recorder came up on ebay not so long ago - this was the one he took to Bali.
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2009, 17:17

Quote (Airborne @ Sep. 28 2009, 16:59)
Quote (Matt @ Sep. 28 2009, 13:43)
Anyone know what this excerpt is from? A telly series?

This was The Saturday Morning Picture Show on BBC with presenter Mark Curry. The catalyst for Mike's adventure into video production was Pete Claridge of CAL Video Graphics. Mike spent a lot of money setting up a home studio with camera, 1" video machines, editor and Quantel video effects machine. The culimation of this investment was The Wind Chimes which was conceived as a Video Album even though the music (Islands album) came out before the video.

He sold the equipment at a huge loss some years later. A portable Nagra 1" video recorder came up on ebay not so long ago - this was the one he took to Bali.

wow really. thanks for this bit of knowledge.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2009, 07:40

I actually remeber the video being played on that programme.Good god!23 years ago!!!At the time it was really cutting edge stuff although i agree that it looks really quite naff now.I think the Wind Chimes (the track)looks much worse though.Really awfull graphics,such as the skulls and the random spirals going backwards and forwards.Never really been that bothered by music vids unless they are live concerts.Whatever technology can produce will never match up to the imagery Oldfield music can conjure up in my brain.Still say that the best thing about Shine is that amazing guitar solo!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2009, 01:22

Back then Mike was quite innovative in creating music videos. Being in control of the whole recording editing phase allowed his personal creative freedom to evolve. Pretty naffy but good at the time. He moved onto Music Virtual Reality which in a market not saturated with PS2s, would have been a bigger success. Must have been fun going to work everyday! Thats an area I would love to have a go at. Technology allows so much scope now to create webcasts in real time, unheard of ten years ago. Deb
Profile PM 
8 replies since Sep. 27 2009, 17:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net