Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfields Single, Key changes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 18 2011, 13:57

I've listened to this track *lots* since first discovering it when the 2009 deluxe editions came out. I was always aware of a key change around 2:19. The other evening I tried playing along to it and was a bit startled to realise there is *also* a key change at 1:13 that I had never spotted when listening to it. Interestingly Mike *doesn't* do a key change at 3:24 which would have been another opportunity. I guess I am just musically inept not to have noticed this before!!!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 18 2011, 17:37

Quote (Matt @ Feb. 18 2011, 13:57)
I guess I am just musically inept not to have noticed this before!!!

It looks that way, Matt - but we're still very fond of you!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2011, 19:15

The melody of "M.O.'s Single", which is basically the same as the "guitars sounding like bagpipes" section from TB part 2, is built on two tunes which are in relative keys. So the first tune, which starts in B minor, is complemented by the second tune, which starts from 0:36 in E minor and modulates slightly upwards to get back to B minor before Mike enters with the electic guitar(s) which bring the main key to E minor. But when the electric guitar(s) play(s) the "second tune" as described above, it goes once again back to B minor. At 2:19 the whole thing moves up a semitone (E minor to F minor) but the overall construction is always the same. This means that the basic key changes during the piece are just two.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 18 2011, 21:28

Matt when you say playing along to.. what are you playing?
Guitar, Piano... a hair comb with paper wrapped around it.

Inquiring minds would like to know  :)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2011, 22:42

Quote (Milamber @ Feb. 18 2011, 21:28)
Matt when you say playing along to.. what are you playing?
Guitar, Piano... a hair comb with paper wrapped around it.

Inquiring minds would like to know  :)

Watch out, Matt - Milamber has a "tubular.net 2011 the album" lasso in his hand  :laugh:  Are you ready to take the King's Shilling (or Kiss the Gunner's Daughter)?  :laugh:  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2011, 10:27

Ugo, thanks for your analysis. I do find it interesting that he used key changes the way he did. The track is really the same theme (verse with one melody repeated twice then chorus) repeated 4 times (with the fourth one fading out). The key change after the first round I just hadn't noticed before which was my point above, the second key change is much more obvious to me and then he decided not to change key again for the last repeat. I can't think of other songs that do that off the top of my head, though you'll probably have examples showing it is very common ;) Actually, the start of HR side 2 does change key quite a bit doesn't it? Talking to myself here...

Milamber, I was trying to play along with steel stringed acoustic guitar. I'm not very good but do enjoy playing :)

Nightspore, I think the "not very good" comment above rules me out from joining the works on the album!!!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2011, 23:36

Matt, is the answer to your riddle "three drunk members of Dr Hook in a wheelbarrow"?
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2011, 12:20

Quote (nightspore @ Feb. 20 2011, 04:36)
Matt, is the answer to your riddle "three drunk members of Dr Hook in a wheelbarrow"?

"three drunk members of Dr Hook in a wheelbarrow two wheelbarrows" - Fixed!  :p

--------------
Profile PM 
7 replies since Feb. 18 2011, 13:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net