Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield's Single, Any info?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 14 2008, 08:11

Hi.Does anyone know anything about the above?It's subtitled Theme From Tubular Bells and is the Bagpipe section from TB pt2.It sounds like it was rerecorded as it's slower and texturally very different from the original.It has oboe at the start and a spanish guitar in the middle.It actually sounds closer in feel to HR but i can't find any dates or info and the single sleeve is just a picture of Mike with doves on one side and frogs doing what comes naturally on the other.Any ideas?

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2008, 09:15

Wikipedia has a very nice entry for it.  Fairly authoritative.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2008, 16:38

It is a very intriguing piece. When I played it to Tom Newman he appeared to have never heard it before, however, he was all too familiar with the Froggy B-side.

Wikipedia is wrong. The vocals on Froggy went A'Courting were done by Mike and Vanessa Branson.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2008, 17:35

Yeah, I know about the inaccuracy.  That's why I said "fairly" authoritative.  There are many internet discogs out there.  Wikipedia is just usually the handiest starting point.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2008, 08:05

Tom Newman has never heard it?Wow that's odd cos i figured either him or Simon Heyworth would have produced it.I know Simon Heyworth did most of side 2 so that may explain it.
 What i'm really trying to figure out is when it was done cos as i said it sounds very different to TB.
 Froggy's a good laugh though.I can't help thinking about the guy's that did The Singing Corner on a saturday kids programe where they were dressed as hippies and got every guest to sing Froggy in the original American folky style.Used to crack me up every time. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2008, 09:56

I think "Froggy" is still my favorite B-side.  Should have been the A-side.

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2008, 11:19

I love the A side.Really haunting thing.Perhaps it should have been a double A side. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2008, 14:14

Agreed.  Good compromise.    ;)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2008, 14:19

Yup.Let's pressurise Virgin and get them to re-issue it on cd.And while they're at it we'll get them to do the original HR.Oh no don't get me started.A lot of the singles from then when good though.I have a single with Agriers (i wish i could spell)on one side which is tune i adore.Dead simple but really effective (and a doddle to play too). :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2008, 17:56

It`s been 24 years since Paul McCartney released the Frog Chorus,and he`s still getting hammered for it today.You guys seriously want Virgin to re-release that thing??..What if it becomes a massive freak Christmas number one or something and Mike becomes known as The Froggy Guy?..

I can see it now in fact,rival message boards being set up almost overnight.Toadular Net and Mike Toadfield Forums..Frog On to the Members section and Hop into the lively ribbate..A whole host of brand new users on there such as Kroakscrew,Nightspawn,and Moonchild-slippytoad..I tell you what guys you can count me out.In fact I`m going to write off to Virgin just to make sure they don`t release it.You know they should maybe take the master tapes and blast them into space just to be on the safe side is more what I`m thinking...I mean God only knows where we would be now if this had been a hit the first time round?..The Millennium Bull-Frog?..The Songs Of Distant Lilly-Pads??...Tres-Kermits???..You know it`s not as if old Mikey does`nt like following these things up now is it?..Just have a little pond-er on that for a second or two...Because if it were to become a hit?...Well don`t say I never toad you so!
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2008, 18:50

Yeah, I guess the whole issue is a tad... pole-arizing!

:p
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2008, 02:57

Oh dear.What have i started? :laugh:

But why not re-release it?It would be a laugh but i suspect Mike would cringe if he heard it now.While we're at it let's put out Don Alfonso. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2008, 18:04

An American actress-singer called Romina Power, who used to be very popular here in Italy as the wife (and singing partner) of melodic singer Al Bano, used the backing track of (Mike Oldfield's) "Froggy went a-courting" for her own rap, about a dirty boy who didn't like washing himself. :D It was just as enjoyable as Mike's version, IMHO. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 16 2008, 21:13

The only real doubt I have about this release is regarding its title. Is "Mike Oldfield's Single" really supposed to be such a simple and deadpan title, or was the silly pun intended?

"HE'S SINGLE, LADIES!"

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2008, 07:30

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Oct. 16 2008, 21:13)
The only real doubt I have about this release is regarding its title. Is "Mike Oldfield's Single" really supposed to be such a simple and deadpan title, or was the silly pun intended?

"HE'S SINGLE, LADIES!"

Almost certainly a pun. Think of the jokey wordplay of "Wreckorder Rondo".
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2008, 07:46

I think it's just Virgin being extremly unimaginative (as they were back then)and just going for boring title.Nice idea though.Wreckorder Wrondo is a good one though.Not a bad track too. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2008, 07:50

Quote (The Caveman @ Oct. 17 2008, 07:46)
I think it's just Virgin being extremly unimaginative (as they were back then)and just going for boring title.Nice idea though.Wreckorder Wrondo is a good one though.Not a bad track too. :)

Being unimaginative is probably one thing you could never accuse Richard Branson of, even back then!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2008, 08:31

Probably the wrong choice of words.I just think it sounds like they couldn't think of a decent titke so they went with Mike Oldfield's single (theme from Tubular Bells).They couldn't really call it anything else and Theme From TB on it's own sounds like a movie soundtrack (which is exactlty what happened in the US).
 They did have some dull moments though.The first batch of Virgin Lps of which TB was one had a jam session record with Elkie Brookes.What did they call it?Manor Live.
 There is a chance that MOS was a pun but i don't reckon it was intentional.

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2008, 11:17

If Mike Oldfield`s single was intended to have a double meaning (sorry) ..Then it stands to reason that Virgin could`nt re-release it now on the grounds of false advertising.Phew what a relief,Mike & Fanny 4eva.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2008, 14:26

Very true ineed Dirk.

--------------
Profile PM 
31 replies since Oct. 14 2008, 08:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net