Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield's Ensoniq SD1< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bleat Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 02 2007, 23:51

Doing a bit of very early eBay browsing ( yes I know ...very sad heh, but im on the lookout for new gear),found this,not sure if its someone here selling it(?)..better get in quick though...

Ensoniq

:cool:
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2007, 05:29

I'm tempted to own one of Mike's instruments for such a low price, but it's not a very good keyboard. It sounds very early 90s. I'm not surprised Mike owned one of these. TB2 and TSODE does have a lot of these workstation-preset-type sounds.

Hear and watch a demo here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYsdXJcZNvk

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Bleat Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2007, 07:04

I agree..its pretty comparable to 90's Korg sounds and I wouldn't make the investment even if MO did have his little mittens on it at one point...but thats just me.I recently got hold of an Emu Proteus keys (who took over Ensoniq I believe,and why I ended up looking at Ensoniq stuff).....not really dug too deep with it yet, needs expanding for sure,great filters though..

Peace,
Bleat. :cool:
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2007, 10:24

I recall seeing the SD-1 on stage on the TBII premiere concert (one of the several keyboardists played one). The could have been the one he's selling now.

Talking of Ensoniq, I love their old ESQ-serie (ESQ-1 and ESQ-80). They had some really great waveforms (especially the sawtooth), nice filters and a extremely user-friendly sequencer. Sadly, most of them are 20 years old and have lived their lives to the end.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 03 2007, 16:39

I know someone who's got an ESQ-1 kicking around in his attic somewhere (or did anyway...he's just had a loft conversion done...). I offered to buy it off him, but he never got around to digging it out...but what he did pull out of there was a KS-32, which now sits looking big and beastly in my studio. It's a relative of the VFX/SD-1, though I believe slightly cut down in terms of architechture.

I have to admit that I haven't spent a great deal of time exploring its possibilities, but I can say a few things about the sound which I believe will apply to the SD-1 as well.
The presets are indeed mostly fairly horrid. Many of them are smothered in a particularly wobbly chorus, which rather dates them. It's also really not one to buy if you're looking for a synth which will give you anything even close to realistic recreations of acoustic instruments - they're not likely to fool anyone, though for their time, a lot of them aren't bad.
So...why would you want to buy it? There's one thing I like in particular about it, and that's that the bass end is amazingly powerful. It's not 'phat' in the currently fashionable analogue sense, but more just plain weighty. If you want something to give breathy, earthy bass underpinnings to tracks, you might find it'll do something you like. I think the seller of the SD-1 was spot on when he mentioned film soundtracks - it's that kind of sound. I haven't delved terribly deeply into the transwave synthesis architecture, but I get the sense that it can be tweaked to provide more unusual textures. I'd put it in the category of "interesting to have around" rather than "must use on everything" - whether that makes it worth buying is a very subjective thing. There's probably nothing there which can't be done in software.

Still, Mike's SD-1 is sold now anyway (and without much of a fight for it...), so anyone intent on owning one will have to keep their eyes peeled for more!
Profile PM 
4 replies since Nov. 02 2007, 23:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net